"Judo vs Karate" 1960s Japanese martial arts film

66 Mantis

Found a trailer for a Japanese movie called "Judo vs Karate". Looks like it was made in the '60s. Can anybody shed any light on this film? Very unusual to see a mostly empty hand martial arts film from this period!

Pj1Hbct8UP0

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that looks interesting, towards the end it almost looked like Chang Cheh's The Duel (of the Iron Fists) with the short sword(Tantos?) fight indoors.

• Administrator
Wow that looks interesting, towards the end it almost looked like Chang Cheh's The Duel (of the Iron Fists) with the short sword(Tantos?) fight indoors.

Tosh, I'm surprised you've never seen this. There's not a lot of MA action in it, but it's a beautiful film.

ShaOW!linDude

Love that trailer with all the blurbs! Classic!

This is not the film of Sanshiro Sugata that I've seen and have on vhs. It's filmed in black & white. Can't immediately put my hands on it but isn't that one directed by Akira Kurosawa?

Did some research (cough, Google) and found that this was one of several remakes of Kuroswawa's classic. I was only ever familiar with the original, so discovering that trailer was a real eye opener.

Reading this thread finally made me pop Sonny Chiba's "The Killing Machine" in the PS3. What an awesome movie. Another great example why I dig Chibasan's films!

What should I watch next?!

I saw that, but is there not also one called "judo for life" as well? early judo films were good, but relied heavily on philosphy of the art, as well as all that love interest crap. im sure you have seen kurosawa's "sanshiro sugata", but have you seen part 2? it was the only movie he was forced to make by the japanese gov't at the time. he hated it, but it isn't that bad.

waywardsage
I saw that, but is there not also one called "judo for life" as well? early judo films were good, but relied heavily on philosphy of the art, as well as all that love interest crap. im sure you have seen kurosawa's "sanshiro sugata", but have you seen part 2? it was the only movie he was forced to make by the japanese gov't at the time. he hated it, but it isn't that bad.

Judo for Life trailer!

bO0oIPkKreQ

Where can we find the whole film?

Judo for Life trailer!

bO0oIPkKreQ

Where can we find the whole film?

Badass! Love to see this, UNdubbed of course!

In this video from the Q & A at Jimmy Wang Yu's appearance at the Walter Reade Theater on Nov, 11, Jimmy mentions this was the film that inspired him to make The Chinese Boxer.

cDhif9LjI3E

Archived