A Simple Life (Ann Hui)

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Release version is copyrighted 2012, but this superb film was shown in numerous festivals in 2011, and reportedly had some kind of limited release to qualify for awards season. I'm wondering is the release version different to the '2011' version, and if not shouldn't it be copyrighted as 2011?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know there weren't different versions of this film. It was first shown at festivals abroad in 2011 and even won an award before it hit HK theatres last spring. It did extremely well in HK and, to the surprise of many, also on the Mainland.

Secret Executioner

Saw this one recently at the theatre. Great story, loveable characters, emotionally strong, the movie is pretty simple (the story is very basic) yet really grabs you and won't let you go until the end. It has some funny parts, some less pleasant moments (from the characters POV I mean) and plain sad bits (I cried at a point). For the record (and that is a quite nice "bonus" IMO), one of the 2 lead characters works in the movie industry and many people from the HK movie industry are featured in the film as themselves.

I highly recommend it.

Archived