Arnold Schwarzenegger

DiP

To date I've seen:

- The Terminator trilogy (first two classics, third was mediocre and unnecessary without J. Cameron)

- Predator (my all-time favorite Arnie movie)

- Kindergarten Cop (his best comedy movie to date, thoroughly entertaining and underrated)

- Last Action Hero (decent self-parody)

- Jingle All the Way (don't remember much tbh)

- Batman & Robin (easily the worst of the modern Batman movies)

- The Expendables 2 (superior to the original but not by that much, great finale though)

Which more Arnie movies should I watch?

"Total Recall" is a shlock filled, camp-fest and, to be honest, it's an absolute gem. Violent, crude but well made and thoroughly enjoyable. It's definitely up there as one of his best.

"The Running Man" isn't as endearing as "Total Recall" but it's certainly cheesy, 80's fun and a must watch for Arnie fans.

Finally, the crown ruler of his entire filmography is "Commando." The movie is insane, super corny and worth watching with a bunch of friends while having a few beers. I'd go as far as to say it's the definitive 80's action film.

A lot of people will say the Conan films are worth a watch too, but I'm not a huge fan. I also dislike his comedies so I wouldn't recommend those.

Guest Markgway
Which more Arnie movies should I watch?

Drop everything and watch TOTAL RECALL. Right now. Unless you're a brain surgeon in the middle of an operation, in which case just wait until you get home. ;)

Total Recall, Conan and Commando are the absolute must sees for you then. These three are as big classics as Terminator 1&2 and Predator, though not necessarily quite as awesome.

Then there's the previously mentioned 80's action films... Running Man, Raw Deal, Red Dawn. They are all good, though fans disagree which one is their favorite.

Secret Executioner

Haven't seen much of his films - I'm not a big fan of comedies and most of his films seem to be that. However, I found Jingle All The Way quite fun.

Terminator 2 was nice.

That may sound crazy, but I quite like Batman & Robin. I can't help but find Mr. Freeze hilarious though to be fair, it was tough to re-watch as an adult - I was 9 when it came out and I loved it when I saw it back then - I was surprised Freeze and Poison Ivy were nothing like the Batman TAS characters I found so scary. My main issues with the films are George Clooney (TERRIBLE Batman, definitely the worst ever), Robin (annoying as hell) and Bane (holy fucked up character, Batman).

I'm hesitant towards the Conan films though they seem quite fun. And I've been meaning to check out Total Recall for some time now. Haven't seen Predator either.

I didn't think anyone hadn't seen Commando, Predator, Red Heat and Total Recall.....

Well, I am one of those "special" people. :wink:

ShaOW!linDude

Conan the Barbarian really started the sword-n-sorcery genre rolling again and has a good story and great action.

Conan the Destroyer is a rather dismal sequel but has sort of a "so bad it's good" feel to it, plus some interesting co-stars.

• Administrator

Yeah man, you've got to check out (at the very least)...

COMMANDO

TOTAL RECALL

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

and the body-building documentary that made him a star in my household when I was a kid- PUMPING IRON!

"It's like youah alwees cumming. Cumming and cumming." :xd:

"Predator" is not only one of Arnold's best action films; it's one of the greatest action films of all time.

RIght on. Still holds up VERY NICELY too. If only more western actioners would age that well. Alltime classic!

my #2 would be TOTAL RECALL. Insane cartoonish hollywood fun.

terminators 1+2 are modern classics of the genre and rightfully so (especially T2).

T3 has one of the most awesome audio mixes i`ve ever come across. if u got a nice audio system and no family members or neighbours bothered by u cranking this one up like hell, u`re in for a treat soundwise. the movie is kinda bleh (basically, its fine with recycling stuff from 1+2, add a female terminator (or should i say terminatrix ?!?) and leave it at that). still solid hollywood entertainment.

6th DAY is mindless big budget fun, i dig. next up would probably be TRUE LIES, one of the best larger than life pseudo-realistic mainstream actioners of its decade.

His best comedy would be KINDERGARTEN COP or at least i have some relatively fond memories. aint watched in ages. other comedies of his are mediocre at best or straight up junk ("JINGLE...").

CONAN i dont care much about. more hype than substance back then. okay flick tho i guess. C2 on the other hand is plain suckage.

COMMANDO i loved as a kid. i recall a few years back it would bore the hell outta me tho. as crappy as action editing can get. b-movie cult status, watch only in company and heavily baked.... or skip it altogether.

LAST ACTION HERO`s actually not as bad as its image from back when it came out and everyone would hate on it like theres no tomorrow. all in all, a mediocre but for a good part entertaining affair.

EXPENDABLES flix- mini parts/supporting roles/cameos i wont mention. but his character in these is a joke.

not self mockery imo but self humiliation. what a clown.

COLLATERAL DAMAGE, END OF DAYS, ERASER are lame. More interesting but not exactly good: RUNNING MAN and RED HEAT.

Secret Executioner
and the body-building documentary that made him a star in my household when I was a kid- PUMPING IRON!

Heard of that one, looks like it has some nice comedy at times.

froffeecoffee

I'd recommend, what I consider his best comedy, Twins. Like a good comedy, I stop and watch it whenever I come across it on television.

Been able to catch up with Commando, Red Heat, Twins, and Eraser after comments here. All but Red Heat (standard buddy cop movie with inferior acting chemistry to that of Hill's other buddy cop movies) were very good. And what's with few people mentioning Eraser? That was damn good entertainment, up there with his gems I'd say even.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations.

I like Eraser and Collateral Damage.

Not a fan of Red Heat; one of Arnie's least.

Conan

Terminator 1-3 (I actually like 3)

Commando

Eraser

Predator

Running Man

Pumping Iron (I know it's not a movie, but it's BADASS!)

Red Heat is sorta bleh.... and Raw Deal is pretty lame. But I probably have to watch both again as it's been years!

Can't wait for THE LAST STAND!

"Are you okay Sheriff?"

"I'm OILED"

OpiumKungFuCracker

One of my favorite action stars ever and one of the best directors working today in the same movie??? Can't wait tonight at 10pm I GO PUMP YOU UP!!!!