What's it about Kung Fu Films that so great?

Omni Dragon

I was think every day I think about theses film it's quite hard not to I wake up there's Kung Fu Films stacked on my bed side table, there's a Bruce Lee poster & figures(along with a bigger Bruce action figure in my bed room) in my living room, I pretty much visit the forums everyday & just turn on my PC my desktop tends to be something to do with Fu Films but yet I would probably simply say it's just great entertainment I've become interested in.

Any one have other thoughts as to way we love Fu so?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Silver Fox

Most movies have very little re-watch value. Classic kung fu films seem to have limitless re-watch/ potential for me. I just finished watching Shaolin Vs Lama for maybe the 40th time. I don't know,there is just something classic about them. The skills on display in SVL are simply astounding. I'm always seeing new stuff,it's almost like great music,there's always something new. Now,I'm talking about the top tier films,there are a lot that I can barely sit through once, but even something like Mantis Fist and Tiger Claws of Shaolin or Bruce Li the Invincible are so ridiculous that they must be viewed multiple times.

I've pondered this a lot and, one day, I hope to write a short article/story on why I love the genre so much.

The films themselves just feel like such a culture, you know? From the shapes, to the comedy, to the dubbing and to Dean Shek. Once you get the gist of the various components it just becomes so easy to love.

It's the variety too. Though many people will claim all 70's kung fu films are the same, they are certainly not. There's such a wealth of films to dip into and then when you feel like you've seen all the classics, someone tells you about this obscure film that never got a DVD release but that you HAVE to see.

It's such a rich genre that's self-contained and overwhelmingly deep. And there is no entertainment like it. Unique, prolific and engaging, even despite the cheesiness, the terrible VHS rips and whatnot. What's not to love?

Archived