Stop! Kung Fu! (BBC, 2001) - All 6 eps on Youtube

Karlos

sifu iron perm
Does Jonathan Ross actually know his kung fu films? Hasn't he done a few shows on the genre?

He basically introduced jackie chan and hong kong cinema of that period (80's) to mainstream England. Rick Baker said (back in the day in eastern heroes store) that Ross had a huge collection and kept on track with the genre. The Kung Fu Ricky segment ..Urgh!

The stop kung fu shows were ok..anyone remember Mondo Rosso? Now that was good, pretty much introduced me to the late great Weng-Weng!! :bigsmile:

Overall I think this is pretty good thought they seem to pick out wacky stuff & the lines far too OTT, it could be a bit more serious but would they have bothered for mainstream.

sifu iron perm
Rick Baker is now on Facebook. I've had a few words with him. Apparently, with some input from Bey Logan, he's hoping to relaunch Eastern Heroes this year or next.

www.facebook.com/ricky.baker.50364

that's some news! Will it be a relaunch of the label/distribution only or are we looking at a shop also?

Hope it's a shop then I will know where that mug is so I can get the money he owes me

will bring some of my Hung Gar brothers to collect Ricky-baby XX

as for Jonathon Ross, cool guy and all that, but he never seemed to exhibit much knowledge of Kung Fu fliks when he came into the Eastern Heroes shop in the 90's, used to think it was a good idea to do kung fu poses as he approached the door...in Chinatown, with a Choy Lay Fut expert owning the phone shop next door looking at him like he was the biggest twat in the UK...AAAHHH the good ol' days....NOT!!

Hope it's a shop then I will know where that mug is so I can get the money he owes me

as for Jonathon Ross, cool guy and all that, but he never seemed to exhibit much knowledge of Kung Fu fliks when he came into the Eastern Heroes shop in the 90's, used to think it was a good idea to do kung fu poses as he approached the door...in Chinatown, with a Choy Lay Fut expert owning the phone shop next door looking at him like he was the biggest twat in the UK...AAAHHH the good ol' days....NOT!!

LOL...that's hilarious...

that's some news! Will it be a relaunch of the label/distribution only or are we looking at a shop also?

Great news as things are looking bleak at the moment for UK dvd releases, i'll definitely support the label.:smile:

I always throw kung fu poses everywhere I go cos I think it's funny, do real kung fu experts get upset by this?

No it just makes you look really stupid to someone who trains, I used to do the samething until I started working in that damn shop and saw what a cock it made out of you!!!!

The guy, Jackie, who owned the shop that was next door to the old eastern heroes shop (and may still do...) used to say some unflattering things in cantonese, (which i was learning at the time) about people pulling shapes on Shaftesbury Avenue!!

Hell Kwok Choy came to that shop many times, and never pulled any poses in public, if someone as awesome, and cool, as him doesnt do it there must be a good reason...

He's posted this on Facebook several times. I went ahead and corrected spelling and grammar because his is terrible. :xd:

DONNIE YEN UK UK VISIT FILM RETROSPECTIVE 2013

I am just putting this out there...I caught up with my old buddy Bey Logan and mentioned that I would love to do another big film retrospective later this year / early next year. First choice would be Donnie - since we brought him over back in the early 90's, his popularity has soared. To make this event happen you have to know the demand for events like this are not CHEAP! Even if Donnie comes for the price of a flight and a hotel, trust me, it runs into thousands. But what an event it would be! Screening Donnie's latest movie along with a couple of his classics and a full cheering whistle blowing audience - an experience you will never forget.

So, I might start up a Donnie page, get feedback and then get Bey to approach Donnie, find out his filming schedule, etc...If you're intrested in seeing this happen, please hit the like button or comment and I will get a page set up to see the full impact of his fan base. Those willing to travel and be a part of this event - let's re-live the 80's and 90's when Eastern Heroes film shows were legendary, and let the people who missed them have a chance to enjoy watching a movie with a full on martial arts movie appreciation society audience.

Keep the faith,

Rick

No it just makes you look really stupid to someone who trains, I used to do the samething until I started working in that damn shop and saw what a cock it made out of you!!!!

The guy, Jackie, who owned the shop that was next door to the old eastern heroes shop (and may still do...) used to say some unflattering things in cantonese, (which i was learning at the time) about people pulling shapes on Shaftesbury Avenue!!

Hell Kwok Choy came to that shop many times, and never pulled any poses in public, if someone as awesome, and cool, as him doesnt do it there must be a good reason...

I don't mind looking stupid, as long as nobody is offended then i'll carry on. I might tone down the Bruce cat-calls though.:smile:

Actually on a serious note popsjnr I read on a forum years ago that Bruce had studied some Hung Ga and that the inspiration for the yelps had come from training in that particular system. Is there anything in that?

I dont think Bruce studied Hung Gar, although he did go to my si-gung Chan Hon Chung's kwoon once to ask for lessons (coz he knew his son Edward, and this is straight from Edward's lips...) but was turned down, due to Lee studying Wing Chun with Ip Man, a friend and fellow HKCMAA member of si-gung, but Bruce may have picked up a bit from Lam Sai Wing's three Hung Gar books...

As for Bruce' s noises he uses those as a form of Kiai ala Karate's yells, but the Hung Gar sounds arent for fighting but to cause the organs to vibrate and bring health.....I'd feel a real prat using some of the Hung Gar Iron Wire noises in a fight...

sifu iron perm
He's posted this on Facebook several times. I went ahead and corrected spelling and grammar because his is terrible. :xd:

I am just putting this out there...I caught up with my old buddy Bey Logan and mentioned that I would love to do another big film retrospective later this year / early next year. First choice would be Donnie - since we brought him over back in the early 90's, his popularity has soared. To make this event happen you have to know the demand for events like this are not CHEAP! Even if Donnie comes for the price of a flight and a hotel, trust me, it runs into thousands. But what an event it would be! Screening Donnie's latest movie along with a couple of his classics and a full cheering whistle blowing audience - an experience you will never forget.

So, I might start up a Donnie page, get feedback and then get Bey to approach Donnie, find out his filming schedule, etc...If you're intrested in seeing this happen, please hit the like button or comment and I will get a page set up to see the full impact of his fan base. Those willing to travel and be a part of this event - let's re-live the 80's and 90's when Eastern Heroes film shows were legendary, and let the people who missed them have a chance to enjoy watching a movie with a full on martial arts movie appreciation society audience.

Keep the faith,

Rick

take out donnie's name and replace it with Jckie Chan and it very much resembles the same article he put out in the early-mid 90's..he wanted to do a big jackie chan gathering in wembley arena..lol

ha ha beaten to it! I just posted a new thread in the TV section about this. I quite enjoy this show and all of its silliness. Would've been much cooler to replace the famous person review section with a knowledgeable fan. I wonder if we'll ever see any kind of kung fu/martial arts movie TV show on British TV ever again?

sifu iron perm
ha ha beaten to it! I just posted a new thread in the TV section about this. I quite enjoy this show and all of its silliness. Would've been much cooler to replace the famous person review section with a knowledgeable fan. I wonder if we'll ever see any kind of kung fu/martial arts movie TV show on British TV ever again?[/QUOTE]

That's what i was thinking too, the bbc 2 kung fu night was a fans wet dream..maybe sky can do a season with genuine flicks..

film4 showing snake in tghe eagle was dope but a tease-fest.

channel sci-fi had a nice spot not long ago with the friday night bruce lee and chan flicks.

Killer Meteor

!!

If he brings Toby Russel to negociate, no-one will understand a word!

That's what i was thinking too, the bbc 2 kung fu night was a fans wet dream..maybe sky can do a season with genuine flicks..

film4 showing snake in tghe eagle was dope but a tease-fest.

channel sci-fi had a nice spot not long ago with the friday night bruce lee and chan flicks.

The problem is unless it has got Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee in it, it won't get shown.

We need someone who knows the genre to at least advise who is in front of camera and the producers etc about what is good / bad etc.

To give Film 4 credit , they do show films by Johnnie To and Zhang Yimou occasionally, widescreen subtitled and original language, unlike other channels which just show awful English dubbed versions.

Keep the faith,

Rick

I would definately go to something like this. In fact, I was wondering the other day if it was ever possible to meet people like Donnie (although personally I would absolutly love to meet Sammo Hung!)

Cognoscente
On 1/11/2013 at 10:24 AM, David Rees said:

The problem is unless it has got Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee in it, it won't get shown.

UK TV used to be quite daring back in the old days. BBC 2 with The Prodigal Son, Channel 4 with Mr. Vampire 2, Bravo with Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon...

• Like 2