The New World (2013)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, robbie said:

probably one of worst korean  movie i have seen   Very boring.story is copied  off   the apprentice show  but not as good. and no action.  .  if you want a goodnights sleep get this. 

Wow, a lot of polarized opinions on this one.  It's making me thing I need to re-watch it, as I last saw it at the time of its release 4 years ago (my thoughts are in a post a little further up the thread), and I loved it. @robbie what are some of your favourite Korean movies as a point of comparison?

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 6:17 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Wow, a lot of polarized opinions on this one.  It's making me thing I need to re-watch it, as I last saw it at the time of its release 4 years ago (my thoughts are in a post a little further up the thread), and I loved it. @robbie what are some of your favourite Korean movies as a point of comparison?

Out of ones I have seen so far best are   no tears for dead, man from nowhere, a company man, war of arrows, train from busan, confidential assignment, the suspect, a hard day They are all excellent films. This film not come close to any of them. I think new world and old boy are a bit boring and overated.  if you can recomment any good korean with action let me know.

Edited by robbie
  • Like 2

This one wasn’t what I was expecting but I enjoyed it all the same. I’ve been used to dark, gritty gangster thrillers from South Korea and this is certainly more of a gangster drama. Though it has its moments of grit.

I won’t talk much a out the plot because yo do so is to spoil the movie. Just know that the head of a large crime syndicate dies and the film tells the story of the ensuing power struggle. With more than it’s fair share of twists and turns.

It’s the direction and performances that make this one such a winner. While none of the environments are all that fun to look at (many are stark and bleak), their framed incredibly well and the camera catches everything perfectly. The performances and the characters are stellar here. Everyone has a story. Everyone performs with gusto when gusto is needed and amazing subtlety for those smaller moments.

Anyone expecting plenty of gang land violence may not like this one. But if you want a tight drama and a plot that walks along a razor’s edge, this one is well worth the watch.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

I love when a suggested film makes you appreciate the suggestion. This does not always happen. An engaging tale, well directed, and worthy film in the pantheon of organized crime movies. There are obvious movies you will think of when watching this from Infernal Affairs (1&2), Sonatine, Donnie Brasco and The Godfather and more. The “deep undercover” has been a classic plotline in the organized crime subgenre. 

Here we have the classic undercover cop, like Donnie Brasco or Infernal Affairs, in Lee Ja-sung (Lee Jung-jae), who is under Jung Chung and is relatively safe until the number one boss is killed in a car crash. This “accident” upsets the power structure and creates a Machiavellian power struggle between Jung and Lee Joong-gu, though neither are technically considered number 2 which is the dark horse Jang, who seems to be the most milquetoast one – but looks are deceiving. Which is an important aspect of all undercover movies. The plot is the thing. It is full of turns and twists which are written logically with interesting characters. Jung Chung is a Chinese-descendent who is a bit ruff-around-the-edges but has his own set of codes (also an important aspect in crime movies like with Johnnie To and Jean-Pierre Melville) which he adheres too. And is probably the most pragmatic person in the film. He certainly is the most interesting dresser in the movie. 

You will hear the refrain “I might go low, but I won’t go that low.” But in crime, so will go that low. And it seems that the police chief Kang (Choi Min-sik: Oldboy) in charge or undercover goes quite low (important motif in this style of film). 

With the Yanbian hobos it was hard not to think of Expect the Unexpected. I loved how they tried to blend in My Cousin Vinny style. There is small undercurrent of dark humour here, but just a little. It works well. 

The cinematography is quite good. It reminds me of the 1970s Hollywood thrillers (not today’s which do not come up to this standard). Now some of the action could have been filmed better (overuse of shaky cam, editing), but only a few scenes are marred by this.  Most are impressive like the elevator scene. A little more bloody than Winter Soldier. So many good knife fights in South Korean cinema (The Man from Nowhere) and this film is just painful in a I'm glad I'm not there way. 

Random thought: this scene from New World reminded me of The King of New York: 

But I am very happy to have seen this and feel this is in the upper echelon of crime movies regardless of country. I highly recommend it to fans of crime cinema. 

Some of the crane work is outstanding and the composition is well done. This film just looked great. First pic is a dolly out (possibly with crane) and second is a beautiful umbrella scene (think Sparrow). 

While I have been pondering a few scenes, one with the end I thought should have been edited a little better (spoiler so I will have to say it should not have tried to play tricky). 

• Like 3