The Berlin File (2013)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Ryoo Seung-wan is back on the scene in 2013 with 'The Berlin File', and it looks like he's bringing the action goods on a pretty epic scale! Featuring the always excellent Ha Jeong-woo ('The Chaser', 'The Yellow Sea', 'Nameless Gangster') and Seung-wan's usual collaborator, his brother Ryoo Seung-beom ('The Unjust', 'No Mercy', 'Crying Fist'), while details of the plot are thin on the ground, the trailer already has me sold -

_kKq0E6CTBE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Not exactly a glowing review off Twitch, but for the folks who dwell on here, this paragraph should hold reason enough to check this out -

The hand-to-hand combat, however, is exceptional. Ryoo once again receives huge support from the industry's top stuntman Jung Doo-hong. Intense and physical, the fight sequences cleverly utilize space and props to thrilling effect. In a triumph of cause and effect, walls, barriers and tables used in cramped apartments and stairwells make for claustrophobic viewing. While in a particularly fierce dust-up in an open field, the protagonists try to break each other's backs over boulders. Another scene sees the hero fall through a glass roof only to get tangled in a mass of cables and flung across a dining room like a rag doll. A silly scene perhaps, but nonetheless exhilarating.

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/02/review-spy-thriller-the-berlin-file.html

ShaOW!linDude

Can't be worse than some of the tripe I've seen over the years. Sounds like the action will deliver, so I'm down to check it out.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Going to see this in theaters in the next couple days... I'm gonna tell you guys what I think. Looks good to me though.

Noelle Shadow Kick

I saw this in theaters the other day. It's definitely worth watching. The spy plot doesnt really work or make too much sense, and when they speak english it is HORRIBLE, but there is definitely some good action. I always enjoy that moment in a martial arts movie where the characters run out of bullets, because you know you're about to see some cool shit. The action is good, but keep in mind that there isn't a whole lot of it. Know that going in, and you'll have fun with the film!

The Amazing Psycho Per

Meh... It won't come as a surprise but I wasn't overly impressed. It tries to be a big international spy thriller, involving many secret services organisations and a bucket load of different characters, but in the end, everyone's motivation seems unclear or paper thin. It takes a while to understand where the movie is going, and when it all ends, I couldn't help to feel that it had been overly long for very little. Maybe something was lost in translation.

As for the action, that could've redeemed this mess, for me, it didn't deliver. Too much of it consists of ranged shooting, which I find quite boring. There are a few brief hand to hand fights here and there, but it suffers from the Bourne syndrom. Ryoo Seung Wan always had his fights edited fast, shot close and a bit hard to follow, but it's the worst I remember.

It's not absolute garbage, but I had higher hopes then what I got. All in all, if you want recent Korean action, The Thieves is much more recommended.

Like the above post I was not overwhelmed by this film. It wasn't terrible. Early n it was very convoluted and to be honest I was having trouble following. 2nd half was much better as the action intensified. That is where the film does well. As a spy thriller it really falls short. My nephew saw this with me and we still joke how they tried to add characters that were unnecessary. Especially the CIA operative which was totally unneeded.

That being said it does redeem itself with the action sequences. Its worth a look but I doubt it will make your top 5 lists.

Meh... It won't come as a surprise but I wasn't overly impressed. It tries to be a big international spy thriller, involving many secret services organisations and a bucket load of different characters, but in the end, everyone's motivation seems unclear or paper thin. It takes a while to understand where the movie is going, and when it all ends, I couldn't help to feel that it had been overly long for very little. Maybe something was lost in translation.

As for the action, that could've redeemed this mess, for me, it didn't deliver. Too much of it consists of ranged shooting, which I find quite boring. There are a few brief hand to hand fights here and there, but it suffers from the Bourne syndrom. Ryoo Seung Wan always had his fights edited fast, shot close and a bit hard to follow, but it's the worst I remember.

It's not absolute garbage, but I had higher hopes then what I got. All in all, if you want recent Korean action, The Thieves is much more recommended.

I was looking forward to this. I hope Fists of Legend is better

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching this one as part of this years line-up of the Korean Film Festival in Australia....agree with a lot of the comments already posted, for some the action will save it and for some it won't....I posted a full review here where you can check out my thoughts -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/koffia-2013-review-berlin-file.html

One Armed Boxer
I have it sat here waiting to be watched but, my expectations are so high, I'm scared of being disappointed.

For me I'd say it sits somewhere between 'The Unjust' & 'City of Violence'.

'The Unjust' being a fantastic movie for me, while 'City of Violence' has something about it which doesn't quite connect, which made it fall short.

'The Unjust' being a fantastic movie for me, while 'City of Violence' has something about it which doesn't quite connect, which made it fall short.

Just my opinion but The Unjust blows Berlin File away.

I thought it was better than both of them personally but then I hated The Unjust, thought it was just an exercise in pure boredom.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, I'm 2 years late to the party, but I finally watched this tonight after it's been in my Netflix queue for over a year.:tongue:

I found the plot a bit convoluted at first, but once the pieces started falling into place, it began making a lot more sense. Good drama with some nice misdirection.

The action is fantastic! Some really good gun battles. The MA that was in it was really good. Very grounded. There's a little bit right at the beginning that gives you a good taste of what's coming. About the midway point, there's an outstanding fight in an apartment. Very brutal with excellent exchanges and one absolutely killer kick!!!!:xd: I honestly didn't expect this to boil down to an end fight, but lo and behold it did! It's just as brutal, a great mix of martial arts and brawling.

If you've not taken a chance on this, do it!:bigsmile: And it's on Netflix, too...or at least it was.

One Armed Boxer
Okay, I'm 2 years late to the party, but I finally watched this tonight after it's been in my Netflix queue for over a year.:tongue:

Nothing wrong with being fashionably late ShaOW!linDude!:tongue:

About the midway point, there's an outstanding fight in an apartment. Very brutal with excellent exchanges and one absolutely killer kick!!!!:xd:

This was one of my best fight scenes of 2013, very brutal fight, and great climax to it as well!

I honestly didn't expect this to boil down to an end fight, but lo and behold it did! It's just as brutal, a great mix of martial arts and brawling.

The bad guy in this is Ryoo Seung-beom, who is the main character from 'Arahan'. Both 'Arahan' and this movie were directed by his brother, Ryoo Seung-wan. These guys often work together, having also made 'No Blood, No Tears', 'Crying Fist', 'Dachimawa Lee', & 'The Unjust' with Seung-wan in the directors chair and Seung-beom on acting duties. Have you seen any of these movies?

ShaOW!linDude
The bad guy in this is Ryoo Seung-beom, who is the main character from 'Arahan'. Both 'Arahan' and this movie were directed by his brother, Ryoo Seung-wan. These guys often work together, having also made 'No Blood, No Tears', 'Crying Fist', 'Dachimawa Lee', & 'The Unjust' with Seung-wan in the directors chair and Seung-beom on acting duties. Have you seen any of these movies?

I've not seen any of those. Are any of them comparable to this?

One Armed Boxer
I've not seen any of those. Are any of them comparable to this?

Well dude, since I know you're all about the MA, I'll list them in order of how many fists and feet are thrown! -

1. Arahan (fantasy martial arts)

2. No Blood, No Tears (down and dirty gangster movie with plenty of rough fights)

3. Crying Fist (probably one of the best boxing movies ever made!)

4. Dachimawa Lee (spoof of old school Korean action movies, worth it for the 'One Armed Swordsman' homage alone!)

5. The Unjust (police thriller, no MA whatsoever!)

Check out this thread about Seung-wan's movies for some further opinions -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20700

ShaOW!linDude

Cool. I may have to search out a couple of these.

Arahan (fantasy martial arts)

--- Is this a wuxia film with tons of wire-work?

No Blood, No Tears (down and dirty gangster movie with plenty of rough fights) & Dachimawa Lee (spoof of old school Korean action movies, worth it for the 'One Armed Swordsman' homage alone!)

--- May have to run these down.

Crying Fist (probably one of the best boxing movies ever made!) & The Unjust (police thriller, no MA whatsoever!)

--- Not real big on boxing films, and no MA = me no watch.:tongue:

Archived