Lau family movies

fatcat

Ok, its been too long since Ive bought a movie which features the great Lau Kar Leung or Lau Kar Wing. I think I have most of the basics, Mad Monkey, Young Auntie, Drunken Monkey, 36 Chambers. Odd Couple, Shaolin Mantis, and Legendary Weapons. One of my favorite fight scenes is LKLs end fight with Wang Lung Wei, I also liked LKW and Sammo in Odd Couple, (I think that movie would have been better at normal speed) I really would like "Pedicab Driver" but cant find it anywhere. Also looking for a dubbed "Carry On Wiseguy." What am I missing out on guys?? Could anyone make any recomendations?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

LKW and Sammo has a great end fight in Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon in case you haven't seen that.

I also love LKL's stuff in New Kids In Town and A Bloody Fight, and of course in Operation Scorpio.

LKW and Sammo has a great end fight in Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon in case you haven't seen that.

I also love LKL's stuff in New Kids In Town and A Bloody Fight, and of course in Operation Scorpio.

Thanks TWC!! Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon?? The name kinda rigs a bell, I know I dont have that one, Ill order that one next!! Never heard of New Kids, Ill look into that, Operation Scorpio?? Thats something Ive heard of but not seen also, thats a fairly recent movie isnt it??

TibetanWhiteCrane

New Kids and Bloody Fight are contempo flicks from the late 80's, not masterpieces, but worth it for LKL's fights. Operation Scorpio is a period flick from '92.

New Kids and Bloody Fight are contempo flicks from the late 80's, not masterpieces, but worth it for LKL's fights. Operation Scorpio is a period flick from '92.

SWEET!! Thats what I needed to hear!! Thanks again!!:bigsmile:

Drunken Monk

Another great Lau Kar Wing versus Sammo moment is one of the greatest three-section-staff fights of all time in "Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog."

ShaOW!linDude
Another great Lau Kar Wing versus Sammo moment is one of the greatest three-section-staff fights of all time in "Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog."

According to IMDb, that's Chia Yung Liu (LKW), who is the brother of Chia Liang Liu (Lau Kar Leung) and Chia Hui Liu (Gordon Liu), that has the 3-sectional staff duel with Sammo in that film. Love that fight!

Okay, I've amended this 'cause I think I got confused.

Drunken Monk
According to IMDb, that's Chia Yung Liu, who is the brother of Chia Leung Liu (LKW) and Chia Hui Liu (Gordon Liu), that has the 3-sectional staff duel with Sammo in that film. Love that fight!

Um...I knew that? I was just testing you all?

Haha, he looks like Lau Kar Wing! Either that or I'm just blind. Probably the latter.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Lau Kar Wing is Tiger in Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog! And Lau Kar Yung has a smaller role, not the same guy. Lau Kar Wing has the staff fight with Sammo.

ShaOW!linDude
According to IMDb, that's Chia Yung Liu (LKW), who is the brother of Chia Liang Liu (Lau Kar Leung) and Chia Hui Liu (Gordon Liu), that has the 3-sectional staff duel with Sammo in that film. Love that fight!

I altered the original post. Apparently that is LKW dueling Sammo with 3-sectional staffs in DTCF. But it's his brother (LKL) who is the gambling house boss in Pedicab Driver that Sammo has the pole fight with.

At least I think I've got this correct now. I'm confused. I want to go back to bed.

IMDb is most often incorrect in their casts for non-mainstream movies. HKMDB.com and hkcinemagic.com are more accurate (but still not perfect).

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, NEVER use IMDb to research HK movies. Hkmdb is the most reliable, though not perfect, as gaijin pointed out. Hkcinemagic is also good, but still has its share of flawed info, especially wrong years of production. Have done many updates for them.

masterofoneinchpunch

Also Gordon Lau (aka Gordon Liu aka Lau Kar-fei ...) is not related. That is his stage name. His birth name is Xian Jinxi.

BTW: Pedicab Driver is currently on youtube. Not the greatest way to watch it, but a way to watch it so you can see that great duel between Sammo and Lau Kar-leung. It's a copy of the laserdisc release.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Recently got a decent version of Pedicab Driver, thanks to BigRogie.....

Holy snickerdoodles... that Sammo/LKL fight is pure poetry!

ShaOW!linDude

Wow. I'm glad some of you are more knowledgeable than I am. If I'm confusing myself, I know I'm confusing other folks. I'm out.:tongue: Thanks for the additional info links. I've bookmarked them.

Yeah, the pole fight between Sammo and LKL in Pedicab Driver always astounds me. Love that!

Sammo and Lau Kar Wing also star in "Knockabout," though it's very much a Yuen Biao vehicle.

Yea, I thought that was a great movie!

Lau Kar Wing is Tiger in Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog! And Lau Kar Yung has a smaller role, not the same guy. Lau Kar Wing has the staff fight with Sammo.

lol, so Ill be on the look out for "Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon" or "Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog?" Funny titles, guess this isnt as bad as asking for "Dirty Ho!" :wink: And yes, Sammo vs LKL in Pedicab Driver, SHEER POETRY!! Did the copy you purchased have an english dub?? Not that I wouldnt mind reading subs.

TibetanWhiteCrane

No, think it was the LD rip with burned subs.

Yeah, once had a chick over who saw the title Dirty Ho on the shelf, and acted all offended till I showed her what it was. Of all the Chinese names they could have picked to follow the word dirty.....

Archived