The Raid Redemption’ director to shoot sequel

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/raid-redemption-director-start-shooting-seqeul-200108537.html

Yesterday was a very exciting day for action movie fans: director Gareth Huw Evans tweeted that he'll be starting filming on January 19th for the sequel to “The Raid: Redemption,” which will be titled “The Raid: Retaliation” in the US. He also announced that the story will pick up a mere two hours after the first movie ends, giving protagonist Rama (Iko Uwais) almost no time to unwind after the hundreds of men he killed.

Evans has previously given some indication as to what audiences can expect from the sequel, which is that the famous minimalism of setting (one building) and narrative (bad guys are in the building, Iko Uwais must kill every single one of them) are being exchanged for a more expansive array of villains (one of whom is evocatively named “Hammer Girl”), with “The Raid: Retaliation” taking place across the entire city.

Characters and setting are one thing, but the main attraction in the “Raid” movies, as in Evans' debut feature “Merentau,” is the brutally beautiful martial art that is pencak silat. A form that combines speed with devastating force, silat is also a relatively novel form for Western martial arts moviegoers, whose main exposure to it thus far has been through Evans' movies, which have been outstanding showcases. With silat masters Joe Taslim and Yayan Ruhian no longer available for narrative continuity reasons—a euphemism to avoid blatant spoilers—the franchise adds the blindingly fast Cecep Arif Rahman, whose moves truly have to be seen to be believed.

No release date has yet been set for “The Raid: Retaliation,” though it's expected to be completed and unveiled at some point in 2013. Action fans can ease their anticipatory fever with this demonstration video of Cecep Arif Rahman's silat mastery:

GD Y-Y :tongue::smile::angel::xd::bigsmile::wink:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Berandal was originally the film Gareth Evans wanted to do prior to The Raid which he used to set the story in motion. The revamped story line is serving as the sequel as it is the continuation of the character. To my knowledge (which is prone to be wrong), in Malaysian markets its still going by the original name.

Plus it prevents from starting too many thread devoted to the same film.

Drunken Monk

This forum typically has one thread per film simply because it's easier to discuss a film when all the conversation is in one place.

Is this news deserving of its own thread? No, not really. If anything the "Berendal" thread should be renamed as it transformed into a "The Raid 2" thread and if you read the later pages, you would most certainly know that. Now, would you know that by just seeing the title, "Berandal?" No, probably not.

But there's also no need to make a scene when someone points out that there is a discussion on a film already existing on the forum. It's for your benefit as much as the other members, especially since Gareth Evans himself has posted in the other thread.

There's no need to get offended about having that pointed out. It just makes this place a tighter ran ship, that's all.

this certainly sounds like an entirely different film from Berendal which was supposed to be the sequel. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the sequel was supposed to be set in a prison. Wasn't there even a short scene with Iko trapped in a toilet cubicle, in the prison with everybody after him, made prior to "the raid"?

Drunken Monk
this certainly sounds like an entirely different film from Berendal which was supposed to be the sequel. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the sequel was supposed to be set in a prison. Wasn't there even a short scene with Iko trapped in a toilet cubicle, in the prison with everybody after him, made prior to "the raid"?

That scene could still be in it at some point, I guess. I must admit though; the minute I see the concept art for "Hammer Girl" I presumed it wouldn't be entirely prison set.

I suppose we'll find out in 2014!

Archived