My Life's on the Line (1979)

blue_skies

I just watched this as part of one of the Eastern heroes doublebill DVDs and have to say it's a pretty dammed good kung fu movie! Okay this DVD has poor picture quality and is only available with an English dub but the action is superb. I'm surprised this movie doesn't have its own thread. The first 20 or so minutes features some great kung fu action and then after that the story and dodgy comedy creeps in, slowing the pace right down. Then things buildup to a crescendo for the finale as the hero faces Beardy in a thrilling finale. Overall I found this a very good movie, brushing aside its flaws, which I won't delve into.

The DVDs says its hero is Wang Li Pang… Just curious has he made any other good starring movies?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed this one too, Eastern Heroes were pretty good at releasing classics like this. The quality was never great but I picked up loads of titles like My Life's on The Line that i'd never heard of thanks to them. Wan Li Pang had decent skills but I can't think that i've seen him in anything else.

TibetanWhiteCrane

He was in quite a few films. Pretty sure he was in JC's Dragon Fist and Fearless Hyena.

My Life's On The Line has great action, but little else of value. But hey, that can be said about the majority of old skoolers I guess.

The ambiguous ending was quite a shock but cool nonetheless...

Yes, it had had yelling at the screen "what happened, WTF, etc" LOL:tongue:

My Life's On The Line has great action, but little else of value. But hey, that can be said about the majority of old skoolers I guess.

I'd take that over the high gloss hollywood-esque of HK cinema nowadays any day of the week.

The ambiguous ending was quite a shock but cool nonetheless...

First time I watched it I thought the disc was faulty when the screen freezes at the end.:bigsmile:

Killer Meteor

It's not a bad film, with a mostly good story. Wang Li Pang is miscast (his role would be great for Hwang Jang Lee) and the kid character is hugely annoying, but Leung Kar Yan is awesome. The Dean Shek scene, and the talking-in-unison pimps made me laugh.

I wonder if the current video master is missing a sex scene - there's an almighty JUMP between Wang's girl fully clothed walking towards the camera, then suddenly he's leaping out of bed, leaving her in it.

And it's got the King Kong theme!

Killer Meteor

Was watching Lucio Fulci's New York Ripper and boy, my heart soared when I saw the theatre marquee advertising My Life's On The Line (as 60 Second Assassin) and Revenge of the Bushido Blade!

sifu iron perm

was it originally called 60 sec assassin?

if so, why the hell did they change the title? lol

Killer Meteor
was it originally called 60 sec assassin?

if so, why the hell did they change the title? lol

That was the US title. My Life's On The Line is the official English title.

sifu iron perm
That was the US title. My Life's On The Line is the official English title.

makes sense! Thanks bro.

I never truly understood the alternative titles the UK/US adopted?

Morgoth Bauglir

I have a DVDR of a wide version but I can't find it right now. So this is all going off of memory. It's partly wide, in Italian, good quality, and the end is even more abrupt than the previous full screen version. Also I think it cuts out the Wong Chi Sang fight at the start.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Hmmm... I finally saw this. Leung Kar Yan was delightfully nuts, I wish he was in the film more.

Archived