Gatchaman (2013) - Tori Matsuzaka, Go Ayano, Ayame Goriki, Tatsuomi Harada

AlbertV

Yes...you are reading right...the live action adaptation of Gatchaman will be hitting theaters in Japan in August 24, 2013.

The film began production on October 15. Tori Matsuzaka, who played ShinkenRed in SAMURAI SENTAI SHINKENGER, is playing leader Ken Owashi.

Can't wait!!!!

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

20121012_gatchaman.jpg

Here is the cast of GATCHAMAN, directed by Toya Sato

Ryohei Suzuki as Ryu (the Owl)

Ayame Goriki as Jun (the Swan)

Tori Matsuzaka as Ken (the Eagle)

Go Ayano as Joe (the Condor)

Tatsuomi Hamada as Jinpei (the Swallow)

Image from Orends Range

• Like 1

I hope they get this right - I never thought in a million years we'd get a live-action Gatchaman.

My all time fave anime.

Remember seeing it - as Battle of the Planets - as a 5 year old way back when and it was love at first sight!

• Like 1

But are we going to get a live action Gatchaman film? Will there be any sort of US release? I'm still waiting for an announcement that the live action Rurouni Kenshin movie will get to the US, dvd or otherwise. Here's one that, if it gets made, will be shown in the US.

http://www.cityonfire.com/ready-for-more-giant-robots-live-action-gaiking-in-the-works/

The live action Gaiking movie will be a collaboration between Toei Animation and Valhalla Entertainment. I guess all it takes is the production of a big budget giant robot movie, like Pacific Rim, to stir up interest in similar projects.

• Like 1

Watched this as a kid so I'd be interested in seeing what they can do with it, it's been so long since I've watched it I've forgot most of it, who was the main villain?

I may just be some old long hair fogy now, but what the fuck is up with these people's haircuts? You can't tell the girls from the guys, it's like they spent hundreds of dollars for that just rolled out of bed look:neutral: not attractive what so ever.

• Like 1

BlackLamaFaction

Really hope this turns out as amazing as it could be. It is definitely a good thing that someone is taking an interest in updating some of these old Tatsunoko productions. The 70's style was great, but the artists and writers of both east and west comics and anime have come such a long way since then. The OVA's of Huricane Polymar and Gatchaman done in the 90's looked awesome. I don't usually get excited about anime going live action, because of the mixed results that have come of that, but the right combination of imagination and technology could make this really incredible.

• Like 1

The 2 follow-up series, Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman F aka Gatchaman Fighter aka Gatchaman 3, have been fansubbed at last!

Episodes are floating around the net and also on Youtube.

:wink:

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Well don't get too excited brother, it's a teaser that only shows a few helmeted characters faces. No action or anything.

What's the story on GATCHAMAN? I feel like I've heard the name before somewhere, but I'm not sure what it's about. Is it based on manga, anime? I could just do a Wiki search, but I'd rather get the scoop from people I trust.

• Like 1

Just saw it and yup, that sure was a teaser! :tongue:

You'll know GATCHAMAN under the title it was initially released in the US, bro - BATTLE OF THE PLANETS.

It came out in the late 70s, riding on a wave of STAR WARS mania and was one of the very first anime shows to hit the West.

I can still remember seeing the first episode, way back as a little Karlos, on my B&W TV - happy days! :bigsmile:

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Just saw it and yup, that sure was a teaser! :tongue:

You'll know GATCHAMAN under the title it was initially released in the US, bro - BATTLE OF THE PLANETS.

It came out in the late 70s, riding on a wave of STAR WARS mania and was one of the very first anime shows to hit the West.

I can still remember seeing the first episode, way back as a little Karlos, on my B&W TV - happy days! :bigsmile:

Aha! Of course I watched that. :bigsmile: Thanks for clarifying that.

Do you think the younger people on here will know what you mean by "B&W TV"? :smile: They may just think that this was the color of your TV's actual housing. :tongue:

BTW- is this the first live-action adaptation of this anime series?

• Like 1

Do you think the younger people on here will know what you mean by "B&W TV"? :smile: They may just think that this was the color of your TV's actual housing. :tongue:

BTW- is this the first live-action adaptation of this anime series?

Yeah, I think people who weren't around in the 70s will not know TV once came in color AND black and white!

This is indeed the first time GATCHAMAN has been made as live-action, after a few aborted attempts to make a CGI update feature.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Yeah, I think people who weren't around in the 70s will not know TV once came in color AND black and white.

You know, at first I was kidding, but... I suppose we may be the last generation to have ever watched a B&W TV. Strange isn't it? :khi5c:

This is indeed the first time GATCHAMAN has been made as live-action, after a few aborted attempts to make a CGI update feature.

So it took 40 years? I'm surprised there's still any interest in it. But now... I'm interested. :wink:

• Like 1

You know, at first I was kidding, but... I suppose we may be the last generation to have ever watched a B&W TV. Strange isn't it? :khi5c:

So it took 40 years? I'm surprised there's still any interest in it. But now... I'm interested. :wink:

I think Gatchaman was/is still popular in Japan. I grew up watching Battle of the Planets in the 70's also, I'll be damned if I can remember much about it now, who was the main villain?

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Zoltar, bro!

Right, Zoltar!

Kind of funny... I remember one day spying a film in the TV Guide called ZOLTAN, HOUND OF DRACULA (1978). I thought that it was cool that the dog's name was similar to the name of BotP's villain. So I watched it based solely on that criteria. :tongue: You guys remember that one? They used Doberman Pincers with great big saber-tooth tiger type fangs!

• Like 1

In BotP, he was called Zoltar, but in the original series, he was known as Berg Katse, who was seen as androgynous?!

When they rebooted the anime in 1994, Zoltar became "Solaris" in the English dub of the OVA.

They haven't revealed if he is in the new movie, but if he is, I hope they casted this guy

Long.jpg

Naoki Kawano...he played Long on JYUKEN SENTAI GEKIRANGER and has that look that screams Berg Katse!

• Like 1

This is a problem I'm having with modern entertainment, they all look the same to me, like a bunch of models.:angel:

content.jpg

Nice clear shot of the five heroes!!!

• Like 1

This is a problem I'm having with modern entertainment, they all look the same to me, like a bunch of models.:angel:

That is so true.

This looks to be just another hollow live adaption that will appeal to today`s youth; perhaps. But, though I do understand the need to "update" the suits, I don`t like it.

Think I will stick to my dvd box sets with the original story arc. Guess I will have to wait to see what the actors are gonna bring to the table but they certainly don`t look like the characters from the show. It seems they just picked people willing to do it. Then in the making of the director will go on and on about how only these actors could have played those parts.

• Like 1

Well don't get too excited brother, it's a teaser that only shows a few helmeted characters faces. No action or anything.

What's the story on GATCHAMAN? I feel like I've heard the name before somewhere, but I'm not sure what it's about. Is it based on manga, anime? I could just do a Wiki search, but I'd rather get the scoop from people I trust.

Sadly, the U.S. Battle of the Planets really screwed with the whole story. It was never Battle of the Planets as all the battles happened on earth. There was no 7zark7 robot. They totally Star Warzed that thing up. There is a nice story line to it though. A lot more violent and things dont end well for some. It really wasnt a kids show. But, I am thankful that it was molested for the US audience, otherwise I would have never been introduced to it. And, it was nice getting the entire box set unmolested many years ago on dvd.

• Like 1

Sadly, the U.S. Battle of the Planets really screwed with the whole story. It was never Battle of the Planets as all the battles happened on earth. There was no 7zark7 robot. They totally Star Warzed that thing up. There is a nice story line to it though. A lot more violent and things dont end well for some. It really wasnt a kids show. But, I am thankful that it was molested for the US audience, otherwise I would have never been introduced to it. And, it was nice getting the entire box set unmolested many years ago on dvd.

Funny you should mention that. Battle of the Planets, Sandy Frank's original adaptation of Gatchaman was influenced by Star Wars. He saw Star Wars and thought of Gatchaman to be a Japanese Star Wars, and he purposely put 7-Zark-7 as an R2D2 like robot. I read this in a book, Japanamerica, by Roland Kelts.

I would have to see the full suits of the new film to give my opinion...the helmets look ok for a 2013 look.

• Like 1