"Shaw Nuff: A Shaw Brothers Retrospective" in Jan 2013 in L.A.'s The Cinefamily

wackiechan

"Shaw Nuff: A Shaw Brothers Retrospective":

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/shaw-nuff-a-shaw-brothers-retrospective/

There will be some mystery Shaw Bros. films being shown. I hope that the mystery Shaws will include any of these:

"Heroes of the East"

"Martial Club"

"My Young Auntie"

"Shaolin Temple"

"The Chinese Boxer"

"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan"

I also wish that the Shaw documentary series, "Cinema Hong Kong", could be shown here or somewhere else in the L.A. area, or maybe in San Francisco. If the "Cinema HK" docu DVDs are out-of-print, then I hope they'll be re-released in the near future.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaolin Patriot

This is a good line-up. Reminds me of the Heroic Grace SB series that they had back in 2005 at the UCLA campus theater in Westwood. I'm anxious to find out what those "mystery" films are. I'll bookmark these screenings for 2013. Thanks!

Shaolin Chamber 36
"Shaw Nuff: A Shaw Brothers Retrospective":

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/shaw-nuff-a-shaw-brothers-retrospective/

There will be some mystery Shaw Bros. films being shown. I hope that the mystery Shaws will include any of these:

"Heroes of the East"

"Martial Club"

"My Young Auntie"

"Shaolin Temple"

"The Chinese Boxer"

"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan"

I also wish that the Shaw documentary series, "Cinema Hong Kong", could be shown here or somewhere else in the L.A. area, or maybe in San Francisco. If the "Cinema HK" docu DVDs are out-of-print, then I hope they'll be re-released in the near future.

I just posted about this on my site, and credited you wackiechan as the source. Got to spread this kind of info to as many of the fans as possible, especially those who live close enough to attend.

Cool, at first thought I was thinking it would be the same set that toured a few years ago, but I believe that these are all different, except 5 Venoms. Looks like a good line up!

I live near LA, but can't make every single showing since they're a bit spread out. Any suggestions on which ones to make if I were to only go to one or two?

Shaolin Patriot

Did anyone in LA happen to see One Armed Swordsman on opening night? If so, I'd like to know how it looked and what the "surprise" double-bill was.

Shaolin Patriot
I live near LA, but can't make every single showing since they're a bit spread out. Any suggestions on which ones to make if I were to only go to one or two?

My personal picks (and the ones I'm hoping to see):

Magic Blade - 1/8

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter - 1/16

Five Venoms - 1/29

Ok, I understand most of the movies on the list. However, wtf is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? And, why or how did that one ever get put on 35mm? Is that something that any of you guys have heard of? All the others I have seen.

Ok, I understand most of the movies on the list. However, wtf is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? And, why or how did that one ever get put on 35mm? Is that something that any of you guys have heard of? All the others I have seen.

Twinkle Twinkle Little star was shot on 35mm film stock and projected in cinemas on 35mm film print that is why a 35mm showing is advertised.Why is it in the programme? well perhaps the organisers just want a wacky film added to the mix http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/twinkle_twinkle_little_star.htm

This is a rare opportunity to see these titles projected again on celluloid, as was the case when originally released in theatres before all 35mm equipment is eventually ripped out and binned for good due to the Digital Cinema Initiative campaign.

Twinkle Twinkle Little star was shot on 35mm film stock and projected in cinemas on 35mm film print that is why a 35mm showing is advertised.Why is it in the programme? well perhaps the organisers just want a wacky film added to the mix http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/twinkle_twinkle_little_star.htm

This is a rare opportunity to see these titles projected again on celluloid, as was the case when originally released in theatres before all 35mm equipment is eventually ripped out and binned for good due to the Digital Cinema Initiative campaign.

I should have clarified. I knew that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star would have been released on film when it appeared in theaters back in the day. What I meant was - are these new prints that Celestial has made to be showcased or are these older prints that have survived and loaned out for such occasions? I don`t recall seeing TTLS released on dvd. But, I could have missed it. Was wondering if it was something obscure or was it a big hit when it was released. It seems that 5 Venoms always gets showcased along with 5 Element Ninjas and 8DPF whenever these kinds of showings take place. So, really just wondering if they used the old print after the remaster or if they struck a new print to be shown in the theater for this situation = for this film.

I should have clarified. I knew that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star would have been released on film when it appeared in theaters back in the day. What I meant was - are these new prints that Celestial has made to be showcased or are these older prints that have survived and loaned out for such occasions? I don`t recall seeing TTLS released on dvd. But, I could have missed it. Was wondering if it was something obscure or was it a big hit when it was released. It seems that 5 Venoms always gets showcased along with 5 Element Ninjas and 8DPF whenever these kinds of showings take place. So, really just wondering if they used the old print after the remaster or if they struck a new print to be shown in the theater for this situation = for this film.

Hi Reason108, no worries. Well this is a wild guess but I would like to believe that a 35mm print was not struck just for this event while there could be more worthier titles deserving such treatment given the cost, time and effort involved.I think there was already a good print of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star which Celestial made available for this screening.

Regarding global box office success I'm not sure if the movie was a hit but it is the type of thing that could have done well in Japan. And oh yes it was released on dvd. The sleeve in the link above is acutally the cover of the region 3 Celestial/ILV disc.

Shaolin Patriot

I saw Magic Blade last night along with the "mystery" feature, Five Element Ninjas. Both were the original, 35 mm prints and NOT Celestial remasters. Aside from the occasional dirt spots & scratched film, minor audio drop-outs and color fading, it was an enjoyable & nostalgic experience. I plan on returning on 1/29 for the Five Venoms double-bill.

Archived