Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

AlbertV

Man, this film bored me stiff - I think I'm turning into a miserable, old fanboy.

(I really dug WINTER SOLDIER, though. Best Marvel movie so far, I thought.)

By the end I was worn out by the endless explosions, dull action and naff jokes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Man, this film bored me stiff - I think I'm turning into a miserable, old fanboy.

By the end I was worn out by the endless explosions, dull action and naff jokes.

Wow. In comparison to other reviews, you're pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum. :squigglemouth:

I found the trailer annoying and uninteresting and I barely made it through, but it seems like what you're getting is two hours of that. :squigglemouth:

OpiumKungFuCracker

oh-hell-no-o.gif

Yeah, pretty much everyone else in the world really digs this.

I'll give it another go on blu ray when it's out.

Now get off my lawn, you pesky kids. :bigsmile:

How did sweet Karen Gillan turn so evil? :bigsmile:

Very fun movie. Unlike so many recent films that are gloomy and dour, both in tone and visually, this is bright and colorful and a fun ride. I really liked the fact that they didn't dumb down the Marvel cosmic universe---you've got Kree and the Nova Corps, Thanos and Ronan, etc. Great action and effects, and characters you like and care about. Another winner from Marvel.

Saw it today and that describes pretty well my appreciation of this movie. Worth to be seen on the big screen!:bigsmile:

Secret Executioner
6EY076lxsGI

That review was pretty fun, one of your best IMO (short but concise and the final gag was hilarious). Having not seen Avengers (I know, what rock do I live under), it felt like a spoiler when you mentionned Thanos' cameo, but it drew my attention (I assume it's a post-credit scene, right ?).

While your review gives Guardians a lot of props (and I must say, showing the early designs and the final ones shows major improvement - the early designs didn't look that great, I much prefer the final product), I don't think the positive stuff you've pointed out is what I like in movies (especially with the badly developped villain, though I found the Elf from Thor 2 pretty cool - can't be worse in terms of motivation than Electro in AS2 though)... I might be interested in this because of Thanos though and Groot's one-liner (assuming the French dub won't rape this), but I guess I can wait until the BD/DVD release.

BTW, I hope Thanos doesn't look too Darkseid-ish, or we'll have stupid people complaining about how Darkseid looks like Thanos whenever they decide to include him in a JL movie... :rolleyes:

OpiumKungFuCracker
Saw it today and that describes pretty well my appreciation of this movie. Worth to be seen on the big screen!:bigsmile:

Was it better than Spider Man? I remember you saying Spiderman the Andrew Garfield one was your favorite film that year.

That review was pretty fun, one of your best IMO (short but concise and the final gag was hilarious). Having not seen Avengers (I know, what rock do I live under), it felt like a spoiler when you mentionned Thanos' cameo, but it drew my attention (I assume it's a post-credit scene, right ?).

The Thanos scene in GOTG is actually only about 1/3 to 1/2 through the movie... we finally get to hear Josh Brolin's voice work on the character as well. Hell, you can actually see a clip of this scene online via Marvel's Phase 1 + 2 montage :wink: It's an awesome shot of him sitting on his throne giving an evil smirk... can't wait to see him in Avengers 3! They said he may or may not have a cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron, but they're building him up to be the big bad of the end of Phase 3 at this point.

Secret Executioner
The Thanos scene in GOTG is actually only about 1/3 to 1/2 through the movie... we finally get to hear Josh Brolin's voice work on the character as well. Hell, you can actually see a clip of this scene online via Marvel's Phase 1 + 2 montage :wink: It's an awesome shot of him sitting on his throne giving an evil smirk... can't wait to see him in Avengers 3! They said he may or may not have a cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron, but they're building him up to be the big bad of the end of Phase 3 at this point.

Boy, seems like things are planned on the long term - and they have a lot of stuff coming, with the 2 Avengers films, Ant-Man and probably some more (I'm expecting at least one solo movie for Thor and Iron Man between A2 and A3).

Concerning the phases, how does it work actually ? Did Phase 1 end with Avengers and they'll end Phase 2 with the Ultron movie (implying Ant-Man would be the first Phase 3 movie) ?

As of now, the Avengers films are meant to be the end to each "phase". So on that note, we'll technically have a film from two phases next year, with Avengers: AOU being the end of the second phase and Ant-Man being the beginning of the third phase.

As for the films for phase 3, right now we have:

-Ant-Man for July 2015

-Captain America for May 2016 (Suck it Batman V Superman, go run off to March!)

-Guardians of the Galaxy 2 for July 2017

-Avengers 3 for May 2018

A Doctor Strange film has been STRONGLY rumored to be within phase 3 as well, but no official announcement yet. Plus his name is even quickly dropped in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

OpiumKungFuCracker

OldPangYau, currently what are your top 10 comic book movies, please share. Mines are:

1. The Dark Knight

2. Guardian Of The Galaxy

3. Iron Man

4. Batman Begins

5. American Splendor

6. Avengers

7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

8. Captain America

9. Sin City

10. Superman II (1980)

Secret Executioner
As of now, the Avengers films are meant to be the end to each "phase". So on that note, we'll technically have a film from two phases next year, with Avengers: AOU being the end of the second phase and Ant-Man being the beginning of the third phase.

As for the films for phase 3, right now we have:

-Ant-Man for July 2015

-Captain America for May 2016 (Suck it Batman V Superman, go run off to March!)

-Guardians of the Galaxy 2 for July 2017

-Avengers 3 for May 2018

A Doctor Strange film has been STRONGLY rumored to be within phase 3 as well, but no official announcement yet. Plus his name is even quickly dropped in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

I guess we may expect a Iron Man movie and a Thor one for mid-late 2016 or spring 2017 (big hole between CA3 and GOTG 2... Unless they left space for the Sinister Six movie so they don't have 2 Marvel-related movies together ?).

And if you want to go on with references in CATWS, well have a look here. :tongue:

Actually, they are fast-tracking DOCTOR STRANGE as a director has already been chosen. Scott Derrickson will be helming the film and as of now, the frontrunner for the role is apparently Joaquin Phoenix.

I heard Troma founder Lloyd Kaufman made a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy in the prison scene. Director James Gunn got his start with Troma, co-writing the cult classic Tromeo and Juliet with Kaufman.

Was it better than Spider Man? I remember you saying Spiderman the Andrew Garfield one was your favorite film that year.

Totally different kind of movies but loved both.

Just saw it. I really enjoyed it, favorite movie this year so far. Felt very Star Wars-esque. Which is always good in my book.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Just saw it. I really enjoyed it, favorite movie this year so far. Felt very Star Wars-esque. Which is always good in my book.

Yep, my sentiments exactly.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Yep, my sentiments exactly.

Well I think I will take in a showing very soon.

GD Y-Y

Drunken Monk

I went in genuinely wanting to hate the film. The trailers did nothing for me and I felt like the comedy was just dumb.

Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's certainly not the best Marvel film, but it's up there. Fun, engaging, funny, action packed. James Gunn did a great job.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I finally saw this on DVD.

Simply awesome fun.

Marvel sure knows how to make great films.

I had to look up Vin Diesels role.

Wow!

I AM GROOT.

Vin-Diesel-Groot.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

GD Y-Y

DragonClaws
I finally saw this on DVD.

Simply awesome fun.

Marvel sure knows how to make great films.

I had to look up Vin Diesels role.

Wow!

I AM GROOT.

Vin-Diesel-Groot.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

GD Y-Y

Vin Diesel must have spent weeks memorizing his lines and getting into character lol.

One very enjoyable film.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Vin Diesel must have spent weeks memorizing his lines and getting into character lol.

One very enjoyable film.

:bigsmile:

GD Y-Y

Archived