Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

AlbertV

James Gunn (SLITHER) will be helming this Phase 2 adaptation of the Marvel Comic series. They will be using the 2008 team as the source of the new film, to be released on August 1, 2014.

Currently casting is being done and there is a short list for the role of leader Star Lord. According to sources, here's the short list:

Joel Edgerton

Jack Huston

Jim Sturgess

Lee Pace

Eddie Redmayne

Here is the Comic-Con concept art:

800px-Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_film_Comic-Con_concept_Art2012.jpg

Synopsis:

Guardians of the Galaxy is reportedly "about a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Chris Pratt (PARKS AND RECREATION) has won the role of Star-Lord and Jason Momoa was almost set to play Drax the Destroyer in the film. (Click on their names for the articles confirming their casting), but negotiations broke down and now that role is currently being screen tested again.

Drax the Destroyer has been casted yesterday...former WWE superstar and current MMA fighter and actor Dave Bautista has officially signed on to play the former human turned warrior.

2206480-133drax.jpg

Okay, here are some updates since the last post!!!

Here is the official cast:

HEROES

Chris Pratt as Star-Lord (the half-human, half-alien leader)

Zoe Saldana as Gamora (Thanos' adopted daughter who becomes an assassin-for-hire and joins the heroes)

Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer (an alien warrior seeking revenge against Thanos)

Michael Rooker as Yondu (an alien warrior)

John C. Reilly as Rhomann Dey (leader of the Nova Corps, the allies of the Guardians)

Glenn Close as Nova Prime (the boss of the Nova Corps)

Vin Diesel as the voice of Groot (a tree-style being who uses wood to gain powers and is an ally to the Guardians)

VILLAINS

Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser (Thanos' right hand man)

Benicio Del Toro as The Collector (a being with the power of prophecy who collects rare artifacts)

Karen Gillan as Nebula (Thanos' other adopted daughter who is loyal to her "dad")

Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer (a member of Thanos' army)

Filming is already underway!!!

ShaOW!linDude

I was really hoping this would be the original team of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Sigh. Oh well.

Secret Executioner

They feature Thanos-related characters but not Thanos himself ? Is he kept for an eventual crossover film with the Avengers (a concept which sounds nice I must say) ?

They feature Thanos-related characters but not Thanos himself ? Is he kept for an eventual crossover film with the Avengers (a concept which sounds nice I must say) ?

Rocket Raccoon is going to be CGI/motion capture (like Groot) but not sure who will play him as far as I know. As for Thanos, I do know he is NOT going to be in Avengers: Age of Ultron...if they do Avengers 3...maybe?

Secret Executioner
Rocket Raccoon is going to be CGI/motion capture (like Groot) but not sure who will play him as far as I know. As for Thanos, I do know he is NOT going to be in Avengers: Age of Ultron...if they do Avengers 3...maybe?

In a world where you can have all the superheroes teaming up and then, when there is a big crisis happening with one of them, none of the others show up to help (seriously, couldn't Captain America or Thor drop by and give a hand in Iron Man 3 ?! Or even Banner, just so that Hulk could make fun of those ridiculous mutants this movie had for a villain) I guess a guy can send henchmen/soldiers, disappear for some time and re-appear out of nowhere again later...

Or, rather than try and explain it in a logical way from this universe, let's just say the producers will wait and see if the movie works or not. If it does, there ya go: crossover with Avengers and Thanos. But if it doesn't, we forget about it... Yeah, sure a supervillain like Thanos wouldn't help sell a movie... That's why Brainiac wasn't used in Superman 3, and we know how successful and beloved this film is.

Vin Diesel spoke with L.A. Times and explained why he decided to play Groot:

"I'm an actor. I can do whatever the … I want. As an actor, not everything has to be the most obvious choice. And sometimes, the best thing you can do — as far as Steven Spielberg and his advice — is to defy expectations.

So if everybody thinks you’re going to go for this one thing and you flip it entirely and go for the strangest Marvel character, it’s interesting. And when something is interesting, it’s inspiring.

'Guardians' is halfway through filming, and Vin says scheduling was also a big factor in his decision:

That’s the thing — I’m so busy. The audience wanted Vin and Marvel, Vin and Marvel. But I’m too busy to do a six-month role. So what Marvel came up with was really interesting. … I am watching a social wave influence and in some ways guide their thinking.

Group shot of the Guardians

aU8F3rx.jpg

Left to Right: Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Rocket Raccoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper), Star Lord (Chris Pratt), Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel), Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista)

Secret Executioner

Not sure what the film will be about or if I'll have any interest in it, but that group shot is pretty nice.

Director James Gunn revealed the plot:

Peter "Star Lord" Quill (Chris Pratt) possesses a mysterious orb artifact that everyone seems to be after. He ends up teaming with four other disparate personalities after they break out of the space prison Kyln. They venture to Knowhere, described as "the severed head of a celestial being that serves as a hangout for aliens", and visit the weird menagerie of the Collector (Benicio Del Toro). At the same time Ronan (Lee Pace) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) are in hot pursuit of Quill's orb.

Secret Executioner
The first trailer is up!

pTZ2Tp9yXyM

Ouch... That short trailer annoyed me and I barely made it through. Guess I'll pass - too bad as the look is really nice.

OpiumKungFuCracker

You guys, it's amazing. It's like Reservoir Dogs in space. It's a lot of fun and funny. It doesn't take itself too seriously like all the other Marvel movies where they give you a story you just don't give a sh!t about. Groot is amazing in this, just amazing. I know everyone is gonna go with Rocket Raccoon which is fine because he is a bad ass but damn, Groot steals the show. Star-Lord is an OG rockin a walkman like nobody's business. I think I'll pick James Gunn over Joss Whedon, Gunn knows how to make a movie enjoyable with humor that works. I'm not knocking on Whedon, I did enjoy the Avengers but it doesn't compare to the sheer enjoyment and the visual spectacle that is Guardians Of The Galaxy.

OpiumKungFuCracker

You don't need me to tell you to go see this but I'm telling you anyways go see this galactic opus of space combat like you've never seen it before. So much detail, so much presentation, so enticing, and yes it is better than the Avengers because this unorthodox quirky brat pack group of anti superheroes are some of the baddest characters this side of Marvel Universe. I AM GROOT, I AM GROOT, I AM GROOT, I AM GROOT, DAMMIT!!!!

WUtsGs5Xg3Y

I think I'll pick James Gunn over Joss Whedon, Gunn knows how to make a movie enjoyable with humor that works.

Bold statement. I'll see for myself on Saturday.

I thought that The Avengers had some good humor in it, do you not agree?

Keep in mind too that Whedon is basically overseeing this entire franchise right now. He adds his input (and sometimes his dialogue) to every movie since Avengers, so really you're still picking Whedon in the end. :tongue:

Secret Executioner

Probably won't go see this one. As I've said, I found the trailer posted by AlbertV earlier annoying - not to mention I have next to no interest in this one.

That said, it has received alot of praise on the Internet and in reviews - actually, it seems like almost everyone that saw it at the premiere came out very pleased.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Bold statement. I'll see for myself on Saturday.

I thought that The Avengers had some good humor in it, do you not agree?

Keep in mind too that Whedon is basically overseeing this entire franchise right now. He adds his input (and sometimes his dialogue) to every movie since Avengers, so really you're still picking Whedon in the end. :tongue:

Hahhaha, I hear yah Massa!! If I have any hope in Hollywood anymore it's Marvel Studios with the involvement of Gunn and Whedon. Don't get me wrong, Avengers had plenty of humor that I enjoyed but I think Galaxy had a better variety where most if not all the jokes hit on cue. All the characters were funny too. I always been a Gunn fan, the dude has a horror background and maybe I'm a little biased but those tend to me my favorite directors. Of course, Gunn's resume is not as credible as Whedon and I mean the guy knows Sci Fi and action but I just love the quirkiness and humor more in Gunn.

Ditto what everybody else has said. I love this film, possibly the best Marvel film. Great characters and lots of laugh out load moments. The action is very good (Bautista looks awesome during the fight scenes, as does Zoe Saldana and even Karen Gillan gets a chance to shine.). I will be seeing this again at the cinema and buying as soon as it's on DVD. The most fun I've had at the cinema this year.

How did sweet Karen Gillan turn so evil? :bigsmile:

Very fun movie. Unlike so many recent films that are gloomy and dour, both in tone and visually, this is bright and colorful and a fun ride. I really liked the fact that they didn't dumb down the Marvel cosmic universe---you've got Kree and the Nova Corps, Thanos and Ronan, etc. Great action and effects, and characters you like and care about. Another winner from Marvel.

Archived