No Retreat No Surrender Getting A Blu Ray Release

David Rees

sifu iron perm
There were no extra fight scenes in the New World version. They did edit the final fight a little between Kurt McKinney and Jean Claude Van Damme by cutting out the flashback scenes. It ended up being very noticeable and sloppy though. I guess it kind of depends on which version of the final fight you prefer. I tend to like the edited version a little better because of it's faster pace and pure nostalgia. New World's goal with their version was just to simply get rid of some of the useless dialogue and some of the scenes that added nothing to the movie. Overall it ended up a little better paced and a lot less cheesy.

pretty much ends up with a 15 min short..:wink:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which version did the UK get, anyway? I've always been confused if it was the shorter US cut or the longer Seasonal cut?

I do know that the New World version did have extra scenes missing from the Seasonal cut, including when Jason first sees Kelly. Basically this leads into a "dating montage" around Seattle :tongue:

Why this scene isn't in the Seasonal version is beyond me, as it makes Kelly's first appearance (at her birthday) and her sudden relationship with Jason very abrupt. More evidence that New World was trying to do their best with what they were given :wink:

The UK cinema and VHS versions were the New World cut and the Universal DVD the Seasonal cut.

That's what I was thinking... I knew the UK and Australian DVDs were the same, but the VHS/Cinema releases are where I got confused :tongue:

Well, I originally contemplated making a custom DVD of the film featuring both cuts and widescreen framing (being filmed in open matte would make this easier), but it's a matter of finding the time :tongue:

Mike Leeder

Finally got round to watching the KINO LORBER Bluray of No Retreat, hey i;ve been busy filming and stuff!  had never really taken notice of how different the cuts of the movie are, the US & Intl prints, different opening credits, some different scenes and pacing, UK VHS was i think was a different cut altogther, i think a shorter cut of the Intl version...i remember there being a discrepency between its listed running time on rental and sell through

Interesting commentary by Keith W, nice interview with Kurt, a pity they couldn't or wouldnt get Jean-Claude or anyone from the Hk side to be interviewed, did contact them offering but never heard back from KL

Very good presentation, and great to see movies like this, Black Eagle from MVD and their upcoming Lionheart release, with some solid extras

Hoping someone picks up the UK rights for a new release, and oh we could do some goodies special feature wise

BIGGEST confusion is still the fact that Van Damme's character is at various times Ivan & Yuri in the film but then in credits is Karl Breznin or something similar....

Archived