No Retreat No Surrender Getting A Blu Ray Release

David Rees

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does king of the kickboxers count as a sequel?

Of course it does!!! (At least in my opinion) :bigsmile:

It even features some footage of NRNS 3 - Blood Brothers.

Chinatown Kid

I've got the UK fullscreen releses of this series, Van Damme was pretty impressive as Ivan the Russian doing that full split on the ring ropes. Wonder whatever happened to Kurt McKinney? Last time I saw him was years ago on the tv soap General Hospital.

I've got the UK fullscreen releses of this series, Van Damme was pretty impressive as Ivan the Russian doing that full split on the ring ropes. Wonder whatever happened to Kurt McKinney? Last time I saw him was years ago on the tv soap General Hospital.

For the recent activities of any actor, check IMDB. Search "Kurt McKinney imdb".

He's been on Guiding Light, As the World Turns, One Life to Live, Blue Bloods, among others.

Cool. I'm not familiar with the board. You mean like people were asking questions about the film and he replied?

I have to say, I despised that fat f*ck. But I guess that's a testament to his acting. :tongue:

TibetanWhiteCrane

The discussion forum at the bottom of each movie page. I usually avoid them as people are morons beyond belief, but sometimes actors will pop in and comment. Steve James' widow wrote some stuff on his page, as I remember.

I see.

And ok, I give up. Who's Steve James? I looked through all the names on IMDB, I can't find any mention of this name. :S

Chinatown Kid

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check the imdb out then. Looks like Kurt made a career out of going the soap route. The dude that played his father ( Timothy Baker) was one of the worst actors ever, " I must DECLINE your OFFER" lol he overacted the shit out of his part in NRNS. To be fair all the acting was pretty bad though. :angel:

Funny thing is, I decided to bust out the old VHS version of the film, which was re-edited by New World Pictures for US theatrical release, and I noticed that they attempted to "de-cheese" the film. In short, a lot of the more cringe-worthy lines/moments were chopped out. For example, Timothy Baker's original line of "Karate is not to be used aggressively... but if I have no other choice!" was chopped down to just "Karate is not to be used aggressively...", since his read of the second part was just way too melodramatic :tongue:

Also, Kurt McKinney screaming "Sensei Lee, YOU HAVE TO HELP ME!" to Bruce Lee's grave was removed as well... because... well... yeah, no sane person would yell at someone's tombstone for that person to help them. :wink:

And let's not forget the failed attempt at recreating the "pelvic thrust exercise" from Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, with RJ (actor's name is eluding me!) sitting right on McKinney's crotch, bouncing his head around WAY too joyously, and while eating an ice cream bar with a creepy grin on his face!

Despite these changes, it's still a cheesy film no matter how you watch it. That cheese is just flat out baked into that movie!

Okay, now I'm getting hungry... too much cheese talk...

Jeru the Damaja
Funny thing is, I decided to bust out the old VHS version of the film, which was re-edited by New World Pictures for US theatrical release, and I noticed that they attempted to "de-cheese" the film. In short, a lot of the more cringe-worthy lines/moments were chopped out. For example, Timothy Baker's original line of "Karate is not to be used aggressively... but if I have no other choice!" was chopped down to just "Karate is not to be used aggressively...", since his read of the second part was just way too melodramatic :tongue:

Also, Kurt McKinney screaming "Sensei Lee, YOU HAVE TO HELP ME!" to Bruce Lee's grave was removed as well... because... well... yeah, no sane person would yell at someone's tombstone for that person to help them. :wink:

And let's not forget the failed attempt at recreating the "pelvic thrust exercise" from Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, with RJ (actor's name is eluding me!) sitting right on McKinney's crotch, bouncing his head around WAY too joyously, and while eating an ice cream bar with a creepy grin on his face!

Despite these changes, it's still a cheesy film no matter how you watch it. That cheese is just flat out baked into that movie!

Okay, now I'm getting hungry... too much cheese talk...

I agree about the New World release. That is the version I watched growing up, and in my opinion it is the best version of the movie. Their version was a little more compact and less cheesy, but still super cheesy at the same time. The opening and soundtrack were also better than the longer version that was released in the UK. I'd like to see a company like the Shout Factory get a hold of all of the Seasonal movies and give them a proper release. NRNS 1-3, King of the Kickboxers, and American Shaolin. I'd prefer the New World release of NRNS with the deleted scenes as extras. The other movies should all be released in their original uncut form.

Here is the infamous scene with RJ on Kurt McKinney's crotch that you referenced. Thank god this was cut from the version I loved as a child.

At 43 sec.

HPLTBtWH4GQ&feature=related

sifu iron perm
I agree about the New World release. That is the version I watched growing up, and in my opinion it is the best version of the movie. Their version was a little more compact and less cheesy, but still super cheesy at the same time. The opening and soundtrack were also better than the longer version that was released in the UK. I'd like to see a company like the Shout Factory get a hold of all of the Seasonal movies and give them a proper release. NRNS 1-3, King of the Kickboxers, and American Shaolin. I'd prefer the New World release of NRNS with the deleted scenes as extras. The other movies should all be released in their original uncut form.

Here is the infamous scene with RJ on Kurt McKinney's crotch that you referenced. Thank god this was cut from the version I loved as a child.

At 43 sec.

HPLTBtWH4GQ&feature=related

wow so this scene was snipped out the US version huh..lol

did the US cut get any extra fight scenes than the UK edition? I still own the original UK vhs edition.

sifu iron perm
Part 3 was always my favorite and still is, I got the 5 disc box set for like $12.

I love the action/fight scenes in Blood Brothers, plus the blood factor was used quite well..

Jeru the Damaja
wow so this scene was snipped out the US version huh..lol

did the US cut get any extra fight scenes than the UK edition? I still own the original UK vhs edition.

There were no extra fight scenes in the New World version. They did edit the final fight a little between Kurt McKinney and Jean Claude Van Damme by cutting out the flashback scenes. It ended up being very noticeable and sloppy though. I guess it kind of depends on which version of the final fight you prefer. I tend to like the edited version a little better because of it's faster pace and pure nostalgia. New World's goal with their version was just to simply get rid of some of the useless dialogue and some of the scenes that added nothing to the movie. Overall it ended up a little better paced and a lot less cheesy.

Archived