Best year of Kung Fu?

Omni Dragon

What do you think was the best individual year for Kung Fu Films?

1978 as always seemed like the best year to me partly because DRUNKEN MASTER was the first shape I saw & at the time it was the best film I'd ever seen then I seemed to link other films made in 78 but off the top of my head it would be somewhere from 76-81 but most likely 78 or 79.

what do you guy's think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
odioustrident

I feel like shapes choreography peaked at some point in the early 80's. A few people on this forum will have an opinion on the specific year. Hard to say when physical talent peaked (on the whole) as so many stars had physical peaks at many different times. As far as film quality goes I have no idea what the peak was.

TibetanWhiteCrane

In terms of quantity, it's gotta be '79...... quality is another matter, probably somewhere between '78 and '82.

I really loved the basher style kung fu in the early 70s (1970-1975); the rawness of it really showcased the actor's talent and no fakeness.

BlackLamaFaction

I have got to agree with 79, it seems like somewhere between 70%- 75% of all my favorite indie films seem to come from that year. It really amazes me that 7 Steps, Cantonen Iron Kung Fu, Chessboxing, 7 Commandments, Choy Lee Fut, Fists, Kicks, and Evil etc etc etc all came out that same year. There were great films made every year during that period, but in 79 Hong Kong, and Taiwan were really putting in work.

I'd also go with the '70-'75 years. It just seemed like that was an incredibly creative time, and new sub-genres were being created every couple of months. You had the early bashers like King Boxer and Chinese Boxer, you had the gangster stuff like Vengeance, the Duel and Boxer from Shantung, Chang Cheh's Shaolin series starting up the shapes thing and martial arts history, some big-budget historical epics like Boxer Rebellion and 14 Amazons, You had some great swordplay stuff coming out like Lady Hermit, King Eagle and others. You had the literary adaptations like Water Margin, Delightful Forest, etc. And with Golden Harvest you also had Sammo, Angela Mao and some guy named Bruce Lee tearing things up, as well.

I will agree that as far as pure fight scenes and choreography, those got better in the late 70s, but as far as the movies themselves, I like the early 70s better.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just some of the titles from 1979

Butterfly 18

The Challenger

Choy Lee Fat Kung Fu

Crystal Fist

Dance Of The Drunk Mantis

Daredevils

Death Duel Of Kung Fu

Dirty Ho

Hell's Wind Staff

Kid With The Golden Arm

Kung Fu Genius

Knockabout

Last Hurrah For Chivalry

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Mar's Villa

Monkey Kung Fu

Mystery Of Chessboxing

Of Cooks And Kung Fu

Seven Steps Of Kung Fu

Shaolin Rescuers

Thundering Mantis

World Of Drunken Master

and many more...... I might go with '79

Dance with the Drunekn Mantis and Knockabout are in my top 5, Kid with the Golden Arm is my favorite venoms film, Chessboxing is a favorite, others I have see on that short list are very good as well (Dirty Ho, Mad Monkey.)

Yah, I might have to go with '79 as well.

Quite a few there I have heard much about but have yet to see, 7 Steps, Hells Wind Staff, Last Hurrah, Of Cooks, and Mars Villa...Any of these must sees? The first three I named seem to be from what I have heard.

For me the peak years were between 1975 and 1982 as the majority of films with tight choreography were made in this period

In terms of quantity, it's gotta be '79...... quality is another matter, probably somewhere between '78 and '82.

Tibetan I think you may be right in terms of quantity of titles from 1979

Ill say I seem to like movies from 80

Well…

1979 was certainly a prolific in terms of the number of films maybe a peak year? There are some great titles from 1979 in my list as well but going by number of titles on my list of the greatest films (in the stuck thread on here) the peak year for me is 1980! There are some killer titles in there as well The Victim and Buddhist Fist will always be in my top 10 maybe even top 5 of all time

The list was posted in this stuck thread http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506&page=5

And breaking the list down by year gives this:

Executioners From Shaolin

Showdown at the cotton mills

Snake in the Eagles Shadow

Drunken Master

Snake Crane Secret

Hellz Windstaff

Last Hurrah For Chivalry

The Challenger

Fearless Hyena

5 Superfighters

Seven Steps of kung Fu

Avenging Boxer (aka Fearless Young Boxer aka Method Man)

The Victim

Buddhist Fist

The Loot

Buddha Assassinator

Master Killers

Ring of Death

Woman Avenger

Magnificent Butcher

Encounter of the spooky Kind

Rebellious Reign

3 Evil Masters

Legend of a Fighter