What's your favourite thing in/about Kung Fu Films?

Omni Dragon

What's your favourite thing in/about Kung Fu Films?

I recently mention in my youtube video 'What I've watched recently # 1' that my favourite thing in Kung Fu Films is training scenes. Also said that second maybe the intro with the plain background & the demonstration's in the foreground especially if it has some cool music & at a narration from a classic dubber.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

When there is a sublime display of martial arts ability by athletic martial artists whether it is weapon based or hand-to-hand or hand-to-weapon. Or is this too obvious?

Then training scenes.

I also love cool intros, whether it's a fight/demonstration and a plain background with cool music, or especially that familiar booming dub voice giving the background story.

Also, bizarre weapons, crazy abilities, anything cliche.

Awesome acrobatic choreography.

Anything Shaolin, specifically the old masters in the orange & yellow robes, long beards, beads, staffs, etc.

:nerd:I have several things that I like about these films:nerd::

The fight Scenes: Nothing better than seeing two skilled fighter duke it out.

The culture: I enjoy seeing the different outfits and settings that the movies use. It makes it seem like you are watching a film set in another world sometimes.

The characters: I like seeing the heroes and villians, but I also like seeing all the people they meet. Ranging from the crazy people to the wise-old master.

The Styles: Its pretty cool to see all the different style that people use. Druken Style and Snake style are my favorite.

The Wepons: Its cool seeing all the different wepons and how they are used. Heck, they can even make a gun fight into a awsome, acrobatic exsperience.

I think that about covers it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

A bunch of talented individuals, who has honed their skills and paid their dues with blood, sweat and tears in grueling opera schools, kung fu gwoons and as stuntmen, so they can dazzle us with displays of physical dexterity and action ingenuity on a level that few people in the world could ever hope to reach. I can't think of a group of performers that deserve to live and die rich and happy, more than the icons of the old school. Sadly that's seldom the case.

There should be a martial arts movie hall of fame that actually meant something. Not one where shit particles like Pig Meyers are inducted. One that actually honored the hard work and memory of these guys as the legends they are.

That'll never happen though. Shit, half of these people don't even know they have tons of fans all around the world, or that anyone remembers them or gives a fuck.

Kung Fu movies, to me, is all about these people, and their backbreaking efforts to entertain us all.

I will say for me the beautiful costumes and the mansions the villians lived in. It set the stage/mood for something serious that was about to go down

ShaOW!linDude

Honestly, one reason I loved 70's kung fu films was the action and costumes. Superhero films didn't get made back then. (Um, I guess I should say they didn't get made well. They flat out sucked.)

These were the next best thing. The wardrobe was eye-catching; themes of justice and revenge; and some of the best fight sequences I've ever seen in my life! Couldn't understand why American studios weren't doing something similar. Guess it's a good thing they weren't.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

"THE THRILL OF VICTORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT"!

On the 'FIRST' viewing of a triple header, as my introduction to kung fu movies in 1973.

We saw:

FIST OF FURY

5 FINGERS OF DEATH

&

A FILM I CAN NOT REMEMBER THE NAME.

Everything you all have said: I agree.

But the main thing was the, 'KUNG FU FIGHTING', itself. And of course the 'EXOTIC' displays of 'EVERY" weapon bizarre!

It was truly a mind blower to 'WE' naive westerners.

It was and 'IS' a most magical journey into the various depths of mans ingenuity to create such amazing fighting systems.

What more can I say!

GD Y-Y

Well, I have to say I do like a martial arts film to have a good story, nothing too complex, just one where you believe and care about the characters (which is why Unleashed/Danny the Dog is one of my favourites). Obviously the choreography is key, and a good martial arts film should have a good ratio of character to fight scenes.

A bunch of talented individuals, who has honed their skills and paid their dues with blood, sweat and tears in grueling opera schools, kung fu gwoons and as stuntmen, so they can dazzle us with displays of physical dexterity and action ingenuity on a level that few people in the world could ever hope to reach. I can't think of a group of performers that deserve to live and die rich and happy, more than the icons of the old school. Sadly that's seldom the case.

There should be a martial arts movie hall of fame that actually meant something. Not one where shit particles like Pig Meyers are inducted. One that actually honored the hard work and memory of these guys as the legends they are.

That'll never happen though. Shit, half of these people don't even know they have tons of fans all around the world, or that anyone remembers them or gives a fuck.

Kung Fu movies, to me, is all about these people, and their backbreaking efforts to entertain us all.

Wow! This!!

First and foremost the choreography. Nothing better than THAT fighting scene that has your mouth wide open. Gordon Liu's Martial Club fight scene for example, had my mouth catching flies.

Second for me its the characters - Lo Lieh in Fists of the White Lotus is a standout character of mine!

Then the lines. For me, i absolutely love them killer punch lines!

Finally i like good costumes.

This has made me want to revisit some classics later!

Archived