Korean Action Month in Sydney!

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Since I stumbled across the Korean Culture Office's weekly 'Cinema on the Park' program after moving to Sydney in January this year, I had many conversations with the program director there about dedicating one of it's monthly themes to that of the Korean action movie scene.

Often a forgotten part of Korean cinema, the faces and names of people like Hwang Jang-lee, Kim Tai-jung, Cassanova Wong, and many others are usually completely unfamiliar to the modern Korean cinema fan, so I wanted to do my part to change that.

After much consideration, this month those talks came to fruition, with November being dedicated to 4 of Korea's action movies - 'The Kick', 'Miss, Please Be Patient', 'Canton Viper', & 'Action Boys'.

I have to say a thanks to the guys at Houndslow Team, who without their assistance I couldn't have arranged the Australian premieres, possibly anywhere outside of Korea, of 'Miss, Please Be Patient' & 'Canton Viper', and also to Jon-James Hodson, who helped me to secure an interview with Hwang Jang-lee to talk about making 'Canton Viper'.

The month isn't over yet, with 'Action Boys' still set to screen next week, but in the meantime, please check out my blog reviews of -

'Miss, Please Be Patient' - http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/action-month-review-8th-nov-miss-please.html

'Canton Viper' - http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/action-month-review-15th-nov-canton.html

I hope you enjoy, and am looking forward to bringing more action to Australian shores next year.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

A big thumbs up to you brother. It's one thing to talk to others about the films that you love. But it's another thing entirely to go out and find a way to share that love with an audience of fresh new moviegoers. :bigsmile: I've always enjoyed your posts here, was very happy to make your acquaintance and become your friend, but now I've got to say: I'm also a fan too! :wink: Keep up the great work bringing awesome cinema of the past to a new generation.

Oh yeah, I read your blog entries- very enjoyable!

One Armed Boxer
A big thumbs up to you brother. It's one thing to talk to others about the films that you love. But it's another thing entirely to go out and find a way to share that love with an audience of fresh new moviegoers. I've always enjoyed your posts here, was very happy to make your acquaintance and become your friend, but now I've got to say: I'm also a fan too! Keep up the great work bringing awesome cinema of the past to a new generation.

Oh yeah, I read your blog entries- very enjoyable!

Thanks Bob, your praise is always appreciated as I know you're a guy who knows your stuff. If all goes well, we're already in talks to have a kind of 'Korean Exploitation/Grindhouse' sort of month next year...as you can tell we haven't exactly ironed out the details of it yet.

But if it comes to be, I'm going to try & convince them to go with the 'Armless Swordsman' that you & your Fu-subs guys put together....the French audio will no doubt be the sticking point, but I'll see what I can do with my powers of persuasion, and of course if you'd be happy for us to show it.

One Armed Boxer

Yesterday the documentary focusing on the lives of stuntmen who graduated from the rigorous training of the Seoul Action School, 'Action Boys', closed out Action Month at the Korean Culture Office 'Cinema on the Park' event here in Sydney.

With the four movies shown to high praise and for many people that watched them, a sense of discovery, I decided to post my thoughts on the month that was November in a blog post, please check it out here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/the-road-to-actionvia-some-drama_23.html

ShaOW!linDude

Just got through reading the article and loved it!

I"m curious to know the audience's reaction to each of the 4 films: The Kick; Miss, Please Be Patient; Canton Viper; Action Boys.

One Armed Boxer
Just got through reading the article and loved it!

I"m curious to know the audience's reaction to each of the 4 films: The Kick; Miss, Please Be Patient; Canton Viper; Action Boys.

Thanks ShaOW!linDude, and audience reaction was very interesting. It's worth pointing out that the weekly Cinema on the Park event is free, so as with anything, amongst the Korean movie fans that come along there's also a broad range of characters that find themselves to the screenings. From businessmen, to grandmothers, to people who look like they took a wrong turn and didn't mean to be there....as they say, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. But to break it down -

'The Kick' - There was a distinct split with this, with the Korean movie fans visibly groaning at the Thai style comedy and execution, as it's pretty evident from the start that it's much more of a Thai movie than a Korean one. However the part of the audience with no expectations seemed to get into it more, and in the end it rated quite favourably, although it's definitly worth noting that the regulars scored it pretty low.

'Miss, Please Be Patient' - The start of this movie pretty much sets the tone for things to come, it's lighthearted and fun, and while it's safe to say pretty much all of the audience in attendance had no idea what to expect, everyone got into it very quickly. The audience even got excited at the fight scenes, which was really good to see. It ended up being voted the third most popular movie shown so far.

'Canton Viper' - A lot of the same audience from the week before came to this screening, perhaps wrongly assuming they were going to get more of the same. For that reason the period setting and decidedly more serious story seemed to leave people not really knowing what to make of it for the first 30 minutes. After that though things settled down and people relaxed more, it scored the lowest out of all four screenings though.

'Action Boys' - Another solid audience for this one, people quickly warmed to the tale of five stuntmen and their 5 year journey from the Seoul Action School to all round stuntman. The tales of overcoming adversary, death, chasing dreams, and facing fears make it accessable and easy to relate to, and again this scored well.

You can find the scores for all 4 movies on this page - http://www.koreanculture.org.au/regular-events/cinema-on-the-park/cinema-club

you should get some horror films from the 80's next year. I'm sure many would love.

Especially the movie "Suddenly in the Dark"

One Armed Boxer
you should get some horror films from the 80's next year. I'm sure many would love.

Especially the movie "Suddenly in the Dark"

Very ironic words, considering the first thing the artistic director of the whole program said to me once the event was wrapped up was "See if you can set something similar up for next year, but with horror movies instead of kung-fu."

I don't know how feasible it is for you guys to subtitle any horror movies you have your hands on....I know that Jamal has the movie 'Evil Hits Evil', but outside of that I don't think any old-school horror is even close to being readily available....let me know your thoughts.

Sn9nfiVRNe0

Archived