In the Blood (2013)

AlbertV

As mentioned on another thread, with the success and word of mouth of HAYWIRE, MMA diva Gina Carano is gearing up her second lead role, IN THE BLOOD.

Directed by John Stockwell (who co-starred in TOP GUN and CHRISTINE), the film revolves around a young woman whose husband is mysteriously kidnapped while they are honeymooning in South America. She goes in search of the kidnappers.

Recent casting has included Diego Boneta (ROCK OF AGES) as a local man who helps Carano on her quest and NEVER BACK DOWN's Cam Gigandet (in negotiations) as her husband.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

Gina Carano's IN THE BLOOD is coming to theaters, VOD, and iTunes on April 4.

The information is on the main site :)

Not quite yet...they just announced the release date today so we may see a trailer within the next few weeks...as soon as there is one up, I'll post it

• Administrator

Okay, so I was one of the (seemingly few) people that really enjoyed HAYWIRE, and I am excited to see this new one. :smile: I think Gina is beautiful, brutally talented as an on-screen (and real-life) fighter, and nowhere near as bad an actress as everyone else says. Bring this shit on! :nerd:

ShaOW!linDude

I actually loved HAYWIRE for the most part. (Plan on reviewing it soon.) Looking forward to this myself.

• Administrator
I actually loved HAYWIRE for the most part. (Plan on reviewing it soon.) Looking forward to this myself.

Good to hear (both!). Me, my wife and son all thought it was cool. But soon after, it seemed all of my friends thought it was a dud. Including friends that usually enjoy the same stuff as me, so it was weird. I watched by myself late at night, then when I mentioned it the next day, the family wanted to see it. Even watching it two days in a row I was completely into it the whole time.

I'm with Bob and Scott on this one...I liked HAYWIRE...I knew what to expect with a Soderbergh movie and he delivered with this style plus highlight Gina in the film...

I'm definitely looking forward to this!!!

Okay, so I was one of the (seemingly few) people that really enjoyed HAYWIRE, and I am excited to see this new one. :smile: I think Gina is beautiful, brutally talented as an on-screen (and real-life) fighter, and nowhere near as bad an actress as everyone else says. Bring this shit on! :nerd:

These are my thoughts exactly! :bigsmile:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Trailer for this film makes Bangkok Revenge look like The Shawshank Redemption of Martial Arts film. It's gotta be the way they edited the trailer to make it looks so bland and awful.

One Armed Boxer
Trailer for this film makes Bangkok Revenge look like The Shawshank Redemption of Martial Arts film. It's gotta be the way they edited the trailer to make it looks so bland and awful.

Gotta go with OKFC on this one, that is one truly awful trailer. Instead of peaking my interest in seeing the movie, it actually lowers it into the minus territory.

Carano is taking an interesting career path, she absolutely has the moves and unlike seemingly every other American MA star whose tried to make it big, she went direct to the A-list by headlining a Steven Soderbergh movie and co-starring in 'Furious 6'. I think this is great for her, and I have a feeling being a kick ass female is probably a contributing factor to her success. But as we all know, the downside of this is that she's never going to do in these highly insured Hollywood studio products what she could do in say, an Isaac Florentine production going up against Scott Adkins. (Ok, those last 5 words weren't really necessary, but I couldn't help it.:tongue:)

Watched it and was mildly disappointed. The trailer looked cheap but I hoped the movie would fare better. It didn't! The story is the same old "missing person"-plot with ridiculous plot twists, but it could provide an ample foundation for the action. Unfortunately there is not not that much in this department. A handful of very short fights coupled with some shooting in the pre-finale, quite well staged by all means but far from spectacular. Gina Carano looks and seems dangerous but I wouldn't call her acting good. It's acceptable for this kind of role.

And acceptable is the whole movie, more of cheap-ish action thriller than a full blooded actioner.

Still I want to see more of her.

Watched it and was mildly disappointed. The trailer looked cheap but I hoped the movie would fare better. It didn't! The story is the same old "missing person"-plot with ridiculous plot twists, but it could provide an ample foundation for the action. Unfortunately there is not not that much in this department. A handful of very short fights coupled with some shooting in the pre-finale, quite well staged by all means but far from spectacular. Gina Carano looks and seems dangerous but I wouldn't call her acting good. It's acceptable for this kind of role.

And acceptable is the whole movie, more of cheap-ish action thriller than a full blooded actioner.

Still I want to see more of her.

I have to agree. I so wanted this to be a really great actioner for Gina so that it would propel her to more big budget movies. And I also would liek to see more of her. I believe she has a future in movies. She just needs to continue on her acting training.

hanshotfirst

Shame Carano didn't come along during the 90s. She and Adkinds would've been the kings of the VHS rack back in the Jeff Pruit days back in the 1990s DTV glory days. Her blend of genuine physical skills and sex appeal is fairly rare. This is coming to Redbox, it looks like DTV junk food, I'll give it a rental.

OpiumKungFuCracker

What is the verdict on the last Gina Carano movie where she was in Brazil avenging her husband's murder or something? She was great in Haywire but a good director can take you so far. Should be interesting to see her in the remake of Kickboxer.

What is the verdict on the last Gina Carano movie where she was in Brazil avenging her husband's murder or something? She was great in Haywire but a good director can take you so far. Should be interesting to see her in the remake of Kickboxer.

This movie you speak of was directed by Stockwell (who is the new director for Kickboxer), so there's your connection. I haven't seen it or Haywire.

• Administrator

At times IN THE BLOOD had an almost documentary look to it, and was very rough around the edges. I hadn't noticed the director's credit in the beginning, and while I was watching it I assumed it was "a first film as director" due to it's sometimes amateurish quality. I was definitely surprised when it ended and I saw that this was not made my a very young, new director. Though there's some good action, and Gina Carano does bust some heads in a fantastic fashion, I'd definitely say it's primarily a thriller as opposed to being a fight movie. Despite the film looking cheap, there's some terrific suspense throughout, and in contrast to what many others say, I feel that Carano's acting seems quite natural. I find her mesmerizing on screen. She's playing (and also seems to be in real life) a really intelligent, complex, loving person that also has outstanding fighting skills. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that she is stunningly beautiful. :wink:

At times IN THE BLOOD had an almost documentary look to it, and was very rough around the edges. I hadn't noticed the director's credit in the beginning, and while I was watching it I assumed it was "a first film as director" due to it's sometimes amateurish quality. I was definitely surprised when it ended and I saw that this was not made my a very young, new director. Though there's some good action, and Gina Carano does bust some heads in a fantastic fashion, I'd definitely say it's primarily a thriller as opposed to being a fight movie. Despite the film looking cheap, there's some terrific suspense throughout, and in contrast to what many others say, I feel that Carano's acting seems quite natural. I find her mesmerizing on screen. She's playing (and also seems to be in real life) a really intelligent, complex, loving person that also has outstanding fighting skills. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that she is stunningly beautiful. :wink:

Yeah I was one of the few who liked it. I wasn't expecting a fight film, but more of a thriller where Carano was going to do some butt kicking. I only wished there was just a little more action considering the flashback scenes with Stephen Lang (who plays her father), but it was an okay film nonetheless.

John Stockwell was known acting-wise in the 80's for the best friend role in CHRISTINE, the pilot who flips out (Cougar) in the opening of TOP GUN, and the leader of the high school vigilante group in DANGEROUSLY CLOSE, before he became a director with films like BLUE CRUSH, the CAT RUN films, and IN THE BLOOD.

• Administrator
Yeah I was one of the few who liked it. I wasn't expecting a fight film, but more of a thriller where Carano was going to do some butt kicking. I only wished there was just a little more action considering the flashback scenes with Stephen Lang (who plays her father), but it was an okay film nonetheless.

John Stockwell was known acting-wise in the 80's for the best friend role in CHRISTINE, the pilot who flips out (Cougar) in the opening of TOP GUN, and the leader of the high school vigilante group in DANGEROUSLY CLOSE, before he became a director with films like BLUE CRUSH, the CAT RUN films, and IN THE BLOOD.

Well Albert, that's two of us that liked IN THE BLOOD! :tongue:

Of course I remember John Stockwell from TOP GUN (took my son to see a special 35mm anniversary screening a few years ago) which I saw way too many times as a kid. But to me he'll always be "Dennis, Arnie's only friend" from CHRISTINE.

Archived