What's your favourite Martial Arts weapon?

Omni Dragon

On or off screen?

Pole/Bo staff, 3 Sectional Staff, Guan dao, Straight Sword, Dao(broadsword), Katana, Spear ect

On screen I think I like the Pole the most.

You know personally I'm not to that big on the Nunchaku even when Bruce was using it, it always seemed a bit cheap it's quite a bit of flailing & spinning to the camera. I don't hate them there ok maybe a bit over rated.

Anyone tell this thread started off as Kung Fu weapons I through Bo staff & Katana after I realised I typed about the Nunchaku & though not really Kung Fu.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it is hard to beat pole fighting such as the 7 Grandmasters, or my dude at the end of Dirty Ho(just two examples among many). Ironically, I have yet to watch 8 Diagram Pole fighter and I have had it setting on my shelf since DD released it..

After that Id say swords, but I am really more of a hand to hand shapes man!

edit: I see out are asking more specific weapons, but to me any type of sword/pole is fairly similar.

3 Sectional Staff is my favorite. Used well, it looks alive, can be a close in weapon or a long-range one, is 'soft' and 'hard', etc. etc.

3 Sectional Staff is my favorite. Used well, it looks alive, can be a close in weapon or a long-range one, is 'soft' and 'hard', etc. etc.

Absolutely agree...my choice as well.

ShaOW!linDude

Definitely 3-sectional staff for me, too. First saw it used in Heroes Of The East and was immediately enamored with it. I love Chinese spear, butterfly swords, and sai, too.

I'm a lover of the three-sectioned-staff too. I feel as though it's the only weapon to have true dexterity and look deadly. Nunchaku, rope dart and chain whip all look amazing but half the usage of the weapon is showmanship. The three-sectioned-staff combines showmanship with both intricate attacks and defense and that's really why I love it.

Apparently im not the only one in favor of the 3 section staff.

Although- on screen- it also depends on the movie`s general theme/setting & the character(s).

own one myself and it can be quite a bitch to handle. that being said, based on my slightly above basic skills learning TKD and some tai chi chuan, how good can one be mastering that thing learning from some 3SS instructional tapes and books with no other intent than flashing some basic offensive and defensive moves and playin around just for the fun of it and without much of a continuity in the training process.

On screen i also love enhanced swords/blade type weapons, ie fu tao (sun & moon sword, double hook sword) or the full moon scimitar and similar designs.

gives choreographers and screen fighters the chance to do more grounded swordplay stuff, but with an additional twist to it, plus using it in a more fantastical way (like wielding it on long chains or throwing it like a boomerang etc).

actually im not too picky tho anymore. i appreciate anything from chop sticks to long spear and far out made up stuff like flying guillotines, provided its nicely executed.

My favorite wepon would have to be either the staff or Nunchaku. To see a skilled person using either is like watching poetry in motion. I am also a fan of the Three-section staff.

Either 3 Sectional Staff or the Chain Whip. Loved the latter's use in Five Shaolin Masters.

Of course, you can't go wrong with a good set of Nunchaku. :tongue:

• Administrator

My favorite weapon? Can you guess by this photo? :bigsmile:

PartofmynunchakucollectionintheTempleoftheDragonMonkey.jpg

This picture was taken when we first moved to our new house (that's why everything looks so messy). But it shows part of my nunchaku collection (hanging on a temporary display) and my nine-section steel whip and manrikigusari chains.

I love seeing the nunchaku on-screen. Viewing Bruce Lee use them in ENTER THE DRAGON was one of the reasons I got into martial arts training and Asian cinema in the first place. It blew me away. Though I think they look great in films, I think they've never been shown to their full potential. The recent film NUNCHUCKS had some great stuff in it.

Second favorite is the three-piece staff. I learned my first moves by watching HEROES OF THE EAST's great scene that featured the weapon (against a guy with a nunchaku and a tonfa) in slow-motion, over and over again. Some other fantastic appearances of the weapon that I cherish are in AVENGING EAGLE, SHAOLIN TEMPLE, KIDS FROM SHAOLIN, THE VICTIM, OPERATION SCORPIO (brief, but amazing), 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, and the jaw-dropping three-piece staff vs three-piece staff fight from DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG.

Third would be the pole/staff.

Paimeifist- WATCH EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER! :nerd:

My favorite weapon? Can you guess by this photo? :bigsmile:

PartofmynunchakucollectionintheTempleoftheDragonMonkey.jpg

This picture was taken when we first moved to our new house (that's why everything looks so messy). But it shows part of my nunchaku collection (hanging on a temporary display) and my nine-section steel whip and manrikigusari chains.

I love seeing the nunchaku on-screen. Viewing Bruce Lee use them in ENTER THE DRAGON was one of the reasons I got into martial arts training and Asian cinema in the first place. It blew me away. Though I think they look great in films, I think they've never been shown to their full potential. The recent film NUNCHUCKS had some great stuff in it.

Second favorite is the three-piece staff. I learned my first moves by watching HEROES OF THE EAST's great scene that featured the weapon (against a guy with a nunchaku and a tonfa) in slow-motion, over and over again. Some other fantastic appearances of the weapon that I cherish are in AVENGING EAGLE, SHAOLIN TEMPLE, KIDS FROM SHAOLIN, THE VICTIM, OPERATION SCORPIO (brief, but amazing), 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, and the jaw-dropping three-piece staff vs three-piece staff fight from DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG.

Third would be the pole/staff.

Paimeifist- WATCH EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER! :nerd:

Can I live with you? lol. Yeah, I am going to watch it sometime this weekend actually. You need to do some Lo Lieh prints man!

• Administrator
The DVD is your favorite weapon? :)

:xd: If it was, I'd have no problem with running out of ammo. :wink:

Damn KF Bob, that's mighty hardcore!

Thanks. I'm a nunchaku fanatic as you can see. I have different ones for different ocassions. Like a pair with special grips so that I can practice in inclement weather without worrying about the handles getting slippery. My favorite nunchaku are a pair I modified myself. The core of each handle was drilled out and filled with lead. I use these to build up my strength. After practicing with such heavy chucks, all the other nunchaku feel light as a feather and I can go much faster. :nerd:

Can I live with you?

LOL

Yeah, I am going to watch it sometime this weekend actually.

Don't forget to tell us what you think in the Shaw Brothers section. :smile:

You need to do some Lo Lieh prints man!

Lo is prominent in my piece on director Chung Chang-Hwa...

DIRECTORCHUNG-ARTWORK.jpg

Lo is prominent in my piece on director Chung Chang-Hwa...

DIRECTORCHUNG-ARTWORK.jpg

Nice, this man deserves far more attention than what he's been given and it's not just because of King Boxer (O.K. that's a sizeable chunk of the reason).

I assume most people's love of the nunchucks comes from Bruce Lee, no? Can anyone point out a single favourite nunchucks scene? One that's BETTER than Bruce? I'd love to see what people think.

I used to practice with nunchaku myself but lost them in the hullabaloo of my marriage and subsequent divorce. They actually got sold. Where's the best place to find them these days? Online or should I take a wander into Chinatown?

I also owned a three-sectioned-staff and could barely left the damn thing, let alone twirl it around with grace and poise.

I have to say, I personally prefer hand to hand combat, but I do love Jackie Chan's style of 'use whatever comes to hand'. It adds a certain realism to the fight scenes (I especially love his fight scenes involving benches, such as when he is fighting Yuen Biao in 'The Young Master').

• Administrator
Nice, this man deserves far more attention than what he's been given and it's not just because of King Boxer (O.K. that's a sizeable chunk of the reason).

Agreed. Did you know that this past summer he was honored by the New York Asian Film Festival with a lifetime achievement award? They showed KING BOXER and THE SWIFT KNIGHT, and Director Chung did Q&A's about his career. The art I did was actually created for this event. If you want to read about it: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18451&highlight=NYAFF

I assume most people's love of the nunchucks comes from Bruce Lee, no? Can anyone point out a single favourite nunchucks scene? One that's BETTER than Bruce? I'd love to see what people think.

The problem with almost all nunchaku scenes is that they have the person using them do an impressive display, but then they don't really fight with them. Their opponent throws a jacket at them or something and they lose the chucks! If that was the case in real life, I'd have a shitload of notches on my favorite chucks and a great jacket collection! :xd: LOL So as far as excellent nunchaku displays, and excluding Bruce's scenes (his best use of them IMO was in FIST OF FURY) I'd say:

BLOODFIST IV: DIE TRYING (1992) There's a guy in a warehouse that attacks Don "The Dragon" Wilson, and he really good.

BEST OF THE BEST 2 (1993) Phillip Rhee fights a guy during the end matches that uses steel chucks and he's great.

DREAMSCAPE (1984) David Patrick Kelly shows off some wicked skills with silver nunchaku that have nasty blades on the tips.

KILL AND KILL AGAIN (1981) James Ryan does a cool bit in a bar.

Now when it comes to excellent nunchaku fighting I'd say:

SISTER STREET FIGHTER 1-3- Etsuko "Sue" Shihomi puts the weapon to good use in each of the three films.

NUNCHUCKS (2011) I was happy to see the weapon used in realistic, practical ways to fight opponents.

DEADBEAT AT DAWN (1988) In this modern day urban action flick Jim Van Bebber does a nice display, then some brutal fighting with chucks.

HEROES OF THE EAST (1978) Gordon Liu uses a three-piece staff to fight an opponent that's using a nunchaku and a tonfa. Great moves here.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more. But I don't want to completely derail this thread. :smile:

I used to practice with nunchaku myself but lost them in the hullabaloo of my marriage and subsequent divorce. They actually got sold. Where's the best place to find them these days? Online or should I take a wander into Chinatown?

Grrrrr :tinysmile_angry2_t:! A broken heart is bad enough. But she sold your nunchaku? :neutral:

Don't mail-order. It's best to actually try a few different pair, see which grip and length feels the best in your hands. Chinatown is a safe bet.

I also owned a three-sectioned-staff and could barely left the damn thing, let alone twirl it around with grace and poise.

It was a big surprise the first time I held the actual weapon. The weight puts a lot of strain on your wrists in a way that I'd never felt with other weapons. I had sore wrists all the time when I first started training with them.

I have to say, I personally prefer hand to hand combat, but I do love Jackie Chan's style of 'use whatever comes to hand'. It adds a certain realism to the fight scenes (I especially love his fight scenes involving benches, such as when he is fighting Yuen Biao in 'The Young Master').

Oh yeah, I love that stuff. The improvised weapon. :bigsmile: I trained in a traditional style of Jujutsu, and my Sensei introduced us to a subset of skills in the art called Hadaka-kurosa (not sure if my spelling is correct) which translates to something like "the art of the naked kill". And it simply means improvised weapons. As a regular part of our training he invited us to bring in objects which we thought couldn't be used as weapons, then he'd show us how to use them as just that. So we got to see practical ways to fight, defend, and even kill using things like a sock, a McDonald's straw, and even a DVD case (of course it was me that brought this item to the lessons :wink:).

I didn't hear about the Lifetime Award, the interview, signings, etc. Thanks for the info, I saved the thread you made that covers it. Needless to say, I wish I had been there...:neutral:

• Administrator
I didn't hear about the Lifetime Award, the interview, signings, etc. Thanks for the info, I saved the thread you made that covers it. Needless to say, I wish I had been there...:neutral:

Hope you enjoy it. I keep meaning to finish part 2 of that report. :khi7j:

Let's see more posts here. Favorite weapons people?

Bruce's scenes (his best use of them IMO was in FIST OF FURY)

Vs the dojo? Cos I think Bruce vs Hashimoto Riki is the worst fight of Bruce's in FOF also that scene is one of main reasons I said in my first that the Nunchaku seemed a bit cheap on screen it's the way Hashimoto moves back it cuts back & forth between Bruce & him Bruce seem to just stand still but spinning the chucks as Hashimoto is meant to be blocking them. The dojo scene is how ever a lot better.

• Administrator
Vs the dojo? Cos I think Bruce vs Hashimoto Riki is the worst fight of Bruce's in FOF also that scene is one of main reasons I said in my first that the Nunchaku seemed a bit cheap on screen it's the way Hashimoto moves back it cuts back & forth between Bruce & him Bruce seem to just stand still but spinning the chucks as Hashimoto is meant to be blocking them. The dojo scene is how ever a lot better.

Yes, the dojo scene. :nerd:

I agree with you on the Hashimoto fight. The nunchaku vs katana was mostly just done with camera-work and sound effects. :neutral:

Archived