Ninja: Shadow of a Tear (2013) - Scott Adkins and Kane Kosugi

chanbara

Third on-set interview.

Interview with Frank DeMartini by david j. moore

http://www.outlawvern.com/2013/09/20/interview-with-frank-demartini-by-david-j-moore/

Best part:

"The first movie was more of an anime, cartoon version of a ninja movie. The set designs displayed it, the script displayed it. What we’re trying to do this time is make a realistic, hardcore action movie about revenge"

Music to my ears.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Tom Yum Goonie 2, Special I.D, Ninja 2, are easily the must see films of 2013 for me. And you know what? Not one of them are big budget Hollywood pictures which sucks ass because I love going to the movies and I haven't gone since in like a week. and I go to the movies everyday, yeah how is that possible?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, that's a pretty solid recommendation.

Though I too wonder why they don't spend just a few extra minutes coming up with some more compelling stories to back up the great action. The more invested you are in the story, the characters and their fate, the more impact the action has.

The reviews are pouring in. Here are a couple more:

http://cinapse.co/2013/09/21/ninja-shadow-of-a-tears-action-glory-is-undisputed/

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/575177-fantastic-fest-2013-review-ninja-shadow-of-a-tear

A lot of fanboy gushing in these, which I can't help but take with a grain of salt as they're a little over-the-top to say the least.

Luckily here's one from a fanboy who doesn't think Adkins and Florentine walk on water and can do no wrong like the previous reviewers. The fact that he acknowleges this and still gushes at how good this film is, is much more convincing...

http://badassdigest.com/2013/09/22/fantastic-fest-review-ninja-shadow-of-a-tear-is-the-new-b-action-champ?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+badassdigest+(Badass+Digest+ALL

Given his reputation among action fanatics, it's easy to overlook the fact that not every Isaac Florentine film is an automatic slam dunk. So much goes against these productions, it's no wonder they don't all turn out as well as we'd hope. But when he's on, he's incredible. And Ninja: Shadow of a Tear finds him in top form. Apparently both he and Scott Adkins were disappointed in the first Ninja film. Here they go very far out of their way to right that wrong. This isn't called Ninja 2 for a reason.

The only thing I find disapointing is that none of these reviews mention Kane, so I'm assuming his role is small and his skills/talents were likely wasted.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I remember back when District 13 ultimatum was shown at festival and remembered the well received feedback it got and after watching it with my own eyes, I really didn't think it was 360 slam dunk. The original (first one) was far better than the sequel. Am I alone on this one? I don't recall how the thread was on here but you guys liked it too if I don't recall?

TibetanWhiteCrane

B13 is a great movie, B13U not so much. There's still some good stuff in there, but as a whole, it didn't really work like the first one did.

I was super excited for this movie before reading all the great feedback from the first reviews. NOW.....I'm not really excited for this movie. :tongue: I'm beyond excited for this movie!!!

This is my number 1 martial arts/action must see movie of the year.

Adkins has been on my radar since Undisputed 2 and I've seen everything he's done. He gets better with each movie from an acting point of view and his fight scenes are among the top going today. What's great is that he seems to enjoy making martial arts movies as martial arts are a big part of his life. So hopefully we get many more action and martial arts epics from him.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The guy in the Twitch review harps on about Hollywood not recognising Adkins & Florentine, they should be bigger, bigger budgets, projects etc. But I think we all know what would happen if that came to pass. Less creative control, less time to develop and shoot action scenes, less focus on martial arts and more on generic mainstream action etc.

Im not begrudging them success, I wish them all the best. But moving up in the ranks usually means that the true fans will suffer. Remember Van Damme? BLOODSPORT, KICKBOXER, LIONHEART, DOUBLE IMPACT and then Universal Soldier, Nowhere To Run, Street Fighter, Sudden Death......

Anyways, that's just my theory.

The guy in the Twitch review harps on about Hollywood not recognising Adkins & Florentine, they should be bigger, bigger budgets, projects etc. But I think we all know what would happen if that came to pass. Less creative control, less time to develop and shoot action scenes, less focus on martial arts and more on generic mainstream action etc.

Im not begrudging them success, I wish them all the best. But moving up in the ranks usually means that the true fans will suffer. Remember Van Damme? BLOODSPORT, KICKBOXER, LIONHEART, DOUBLE IMPACT and then Universal Soldier, Nowhere To Run, Street Fighter, Sudden Death......

I was thinking the same thing. While I want them both to be hugley sucessfull.....I'm hesitant because I'm being selfish and I want more movies like what they have been giving us and with more budgets and less creative control we may not get that.

Either way at least we get movies like Ninja 2!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Van Damme was already backed by Hollywood starting with Bloodsport wasn't he? I think once his stuff started to hit direct to video, an increase decline in his performance and he took a backseat ever since. Age did catch up with him for sure. I might be wrong but isn't Expendables 2 the first Hollywood film Scott Adkins was in? It looks like he's been in the business for a long ass time, in Hollywood I meant.

TibetanWhiteCrane

His early films were made by fringe production companies, by people who specialized in the action and martial arts genre. He was not a mainstream embraced A- lister before Universal Soldier, and that's when it started to go downhill. Im sure he, himself wanted to be more of a mainstream action star than just a kickboxing guy, but the big studios also push you to please the widest possible audience, and I think this would happen to Adkins and co. too....

yes I've got to say I agree with you also. It would be nice for Adkins to get a little more recognition, so it's easier for him to get funded for his movies and may be able to take things up a notch with a bit more budget. I'm guessing the fine line is between a small theatrical run and straight to DVD. As soon as the big bucks come in he will just become another Van Damme.

His early films were made by fringe production companies, by people who specialized in the action and martial arts genre. He was not a mainstream embraced A- lister before Universal Soldier, and that's when it started to go downhill.

In what way are Universal Soldier, Hard Target or Maximum Risk downhill from shoddy Cheapos like Kickboxer, Death Warrant or the abysmal Lionheart with their ultralame fights?

TibetanWhiteCrane

That's your opinion. Im talking about him moving away from martial arts oriented action into more mainstream action, and by that outgrowing the fans who saw and appreciated him as a martial arts star. I still like his movies from Unisol and on to like Maximum Risk, but he didn't really deliver the same type of action. And this was in the context of the Scott Adkins Ninja 2 discussion.

Well, Scott has done his share of non-MA films as well. He had a non-action role in Jesse V. Johnson's Pit Fighter with Dominique Vandenberg; he did a horror film Stag Night, where he and his friends fend against cannibalistic recluses in the New York subways (with NO MA whatsoever); and he had some major non-MA roles in UK television, Eastenders and Holby City to name a few.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yes, and Van Damme was in Monaco Forever and Breakin', but he was known for his MA action, as is Adkins. My point being that they carve a niche for themselves, then they get "discovered" and water it down so mr. and mrs. mainstream moviegoer can keep up and relate.

Fantastic Fest 2013: Isaac Florentine on Ninja: Shadow of a Tear

The director explains why the first Ninja wasn’t good enough and considers his options for Undisputed IV.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/577023-fantastic-fest-2013-isaac-florentine-on-ninja-shadow-of-a-tear

I never get tired of hearing Florentine and Adkins admit that they were unhappy with the first film and how they wanted to apologize/make-up for it with Ninja: Shadow of a Tear. And from all accounts/reviews it seems like they did so in spades. Now they just need to release the dang thing on DVD so we can all see it (not just those lucky SOBs at Fantastic Fest 2013). :tongue:

Guess who got to watch NINJA: SHADOW OF A TEAR tonight??? Yup..me! Isaac Florentine and Millennium Films sent me a DVD screener of the film :)

Wanna know what I think??? Check out the main site now!!!

The Amazing Psycho Per
Isaac Florentine and Millennium Films sent me a DVD screener of the film :)

Yeah i spoke to Isaac and he said he's sorry and don't know how things got mixed up but, if you just send me the DVD screener that was destined to me, all would be arranged.