Dragon Lord Blu Ray

luckystars

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone got this yet?

I assume you mean the Kam and Ronson one? Can't say I have, but I hate to sound like a broken record... but it's most likely an upconvert anyway. Of course, I'd love for someone to prove me wrong. I think the Japanese blu-ray was an upconvert, and that used a Fortune Star master as well.

Guest Markgway

Is the Japanese version different? Imagica (JP) released an anamorphic DVD with Cantonese mono some time ago, but it may be a different edition than the original HK version?

Is the Japanese version different? Imagica (JP) released an anamorphic DVD with Cantonese mono some time ago, but it may be a different edition than the original HK version?

I need to find out about this! If it's original mono of the extended/alternate version, then I want it.

And regarding the bluray. It has a very cool, long theatrical trailer which features lots of behind the scenes and alternate angle shots in it. I hadn't seen it before.

wZzZF45BvzQ

I need to find out about this! If it's original mono of the extended/alternate version, then I want it.

And regarding the bluray. It has a very cool, long theatrical trailer which features lots of behind the scenes and alternate angle shots in it. I hadn't seen it before.

wZzZF45BvzQ

Love this film so much.

Thanks for sharing:bigsmile:

Thanks. I will ask my Japanese friend and report back. Luckily he works in dvd retail, so he knows everything. Usually. :tongue:

Update: Found out that that Imagica dvd (japan) is the HK cut and lesser quality than the Paramount dvds.

There are two paramount dvds. One is the HK cut and canot mono. The other is the alternate/extended cut and is a horrible 5.1 mix.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Some people are just way too anal when it comes to this kind of stuff.

True, though I do understand that one wants the best quality possible, but it's like it stops being about the actual movie, and way more about the various format versions.

I know the Joy Sales, HKL, DD etc. are not perfect, but come on..... we are far away from the old washed out, unwatchable crap we were used to from the past.

When the audio distracts me from the enjoying the on screen action, then it's a problem. Simples. Plus, it should sound the way it's supposed to sound. the way it was made in '82 Not all muffled and distant sounding, and lacking any hint of bass. etc etc... etc... The films soundtracks need to be preserved, not changed forever.

Mix isn't horrible at all IMO on the Joyales

Anyway to each their own

I was referring to the Paramount japan dvd. If that uses the same mix as Joy Sales, then fair enough. It's not so horrible. I was just relaying what my Japanese friend told me about the dvd.

Cool. I actually never enjoyed the film til I saw that alt cut. Have watched it 5+ times now and the sound mix has never detracted from Jackies best overlooked film ;)

Guest Markgway

I've only ever seen the theatrical cut or the international cut - those are the ones I'm used to. Not sure how I'd feel about the alternate (dir's?) cut. I too have a problem in that remixes very often do detract from my enjoyment. Yes, I'm a purist, but it's more than just technical. 95% of movies I monitor with headphones, which emphasises audio interference. Not all remixes are equally bad, but I've never heard one that's an improvement.

I've only ever seen the theatrical cut or the international cut - those are the ones I'm used to. Not sure how I'd feel about the alternate (dir's?) cut. I too have a problem in that remixes very often do detract from my enjoyment. Yes, I'm a purist, but it's more than just technical. 95% of movies I monitor with headphones, which emphasises audio interference. Not all remixes are equally bad, but I've never heard one that's an improvement.

My guess is the alt cut is the one that premiered, and Jackie filmed the Cannon ending for export and it became the version we're used to seeing. In Bey's commentary on the HKL is refers to the ending as a late edition.

For me anyway, having the pyramid scene right at the start has always jarred me. The story is better than that, I didn't get into the rhythm of the film til I saw the alt cut, and it was like a revelation. Anyway the sequencing of the film wont make sense unless you see the extra scenes (like the pre match (prayer/ritual) song that occurs before the sport finale.

Heres the thing Mark, you wont see this version unless there's a custom around?? I say have a go with it:smile:

Not sure which one I have but it was the one released by Universe Laser. It starts off with Mars arriving late and they have the rituals before the pyramid game. After the game then they are back at the school, training. Then, around 40 min in, there is the shuttle-cock game. More story then Jackie on the roof where they are trying to spear him. More story. etc... The end is the big fight scene in the barn/building where Mars and Jackie fight the one-eyed bad guy. There is no cannon scene that I recall. The end has the outtakes on the left hand side of the screen with the credits on the right.

The included trailer features some of the scenes that appeared in the exteneded trailer posted earlier in this thread. But, not all and not in the same order. The trailer does say: "Jackie Chan, The Deerless Director." Does this mean that they wanted to use deers but had no access to any. (haha) Think they meant Fearless director.

Movie runs around 97min.

Guest Markgway

The Universe DVD is a cut version of the Hong Kong version.

HKL offers the uncut version of the Hong Kong version.

Joy Sales uses an alternate version.

The Universe DVD is a cut version of the Hong Kong version.

HKL offers the uncut version of the Hong Kong version.

Joy Sales uses an alternate version.

Cool, thank you.

ps - HKL offers HK cut and Joy Sales offers alt ver then which does the Kam blu offer? does anyone know yet?

Archived