Ip Man: Final Fight (starring Anthony Wong) 2013

Maz

Don't know about my face in there; who knows what life has to offer..

you know if you was in there they would have you selling opium :bigsmile:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It`s being released July 18th HK on blu ray. Well Go have done a great job with these releases so far. The only problem was the original Ip Man movie. Well Go had a "de-saturated" color release. And, it was missing a couple of the extras from the HK release. Nothing major though if memory serves. Does anyone know if their Ip Man 2 was faithful to the HK release? Am tempted to pick up the HK 2 disc (Ip Man 1 & 2) blu set. Affordable now. And, The Final Fight is not too badly priced either.

Though, I will say that I do not like the cover art for Ip Man The Final Fight. He looks more like he is getting ready to cook some "pork" buns than kick someone`s ass.

Drunken Monk

After attempting to watch the horribly subtitled version floating around the internet I gave up and pre-ordered the HK DVD. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Yeah, that will no doubt be quite an experience, despite the sad circumstances. Be sure to report back when you have the time.
Oh yeah, will do, got my camera ready just in case it's appropriate & flying out tomorrow, sounds like Lau Kar Wing, Mark Ho & my Sigung will all be doing separate memorial lion dances & demos; should be something special!

you know if you was in there they would have you selling opium :bigsmile:

Yeah, seriously, what roles are there for skinny white boys in trad kung flicks??

OpiumKungFuCracker

Anthony Wong is just about the only thing postive in this movie. As for the rest of the cast and everyone else involved?? They fucking suck. The story is not the best in these Ip Man movies, not that it sucks, it so uninspired and fucking boring. There's about 15 mins left in the movie as I type this, so yeah not a good thing when I'm not hooked into this movie like the other Ip man films. My ranking of Ip man films go like this:

1. The Grandmaster

2. Ip Man

3. Ip Man 2

4. The Legend is Born: Ip Man

5. Ip Man the Final Fight

Anthony Wong is just about the only thing postive in this movie. As for the rest of the cast and everyone else involved?? They fucking suck. The story is not the best in these Ip Man movies, not that it sucks, it so uninspired and fucking boring. There's about 15 mins left in the movie as I type this, so yeah not a good thing when I'm not hooked into this movie like the other Ip man films. My ranking of Ip man films go like this:

1. The Grandmaster

2. Ip Man

3. Ip Man 2

4. The Legend is Born: Ip Man

5. Ip Man the Final Fight

Hmmm. Now you have me looking forward to The Grandmaster. If it's better than the first Ip Man... that's really saying something.

sifu iron perm
Oh yeah, will do, got my camera ready just in case it's appropriate & flying out tomorrow, sounds like Lau Kar Wing, Mark Ho & my Sigung will all be doing separate memorial lion dances & demos; should be something special!

Yeah, seriously, what roles are there for skinny white boys in trad kung flicks??

shoe polish.

Hmmm. Now you have me looking forward to The Grandmaster. If it's better than the first Ip Man... that's really saying something.

it would be my no.5!

Just saying; different taste for everyone. I thought final fight was better than the legend is born. Theres less fighting going on but if you have an interest about the old hongkong and things like that final fight is ok.

Just watched the movie itself. Felt like eh. Cinematography was nice. Lots of crane shots. Didn't feel like anything. Felt like they were making it up as it was going on, esp the last 3rd.

Having said that, I will say that Wong playing YM, felt more genuine-ish than any of the other actors, as I've only known and seen YM as a 90 pound old man in pics and video. Yen, To, etc. never made me feel like they were YM because I've never seen him look like that.

Was less impressed by the action. The one on one stuff was fine but the group stuff felt rushed and most of the players were sloppy. A Wong, Yan Yan and E Tsang were the best. It felt like forced WC just to have it be. I'll leave it at that.

Not complaining. Was just there. Looked good. That's fine.

I reviewed the film on the main site and while I felt let down by the "final fight", I liked the film...I felt Wong really drove the film and it was interesting to see a depiction amidst YM's life of 1960's Hong Kong life. It was also refreshing to see Eric Tsang doing martial arts again in his short fight against Wong. I felt like This is how Insp. Wong and Hon Sam should have settled their score in Infernal Affairs...just kidding.

Anyway, I liked it but only wished Wong and Xiong's fight didn't have to resort using wire enhancements

The Amazing Psycho Per

Just watched this. Totally different beast then "The Grandmaster", but I also enjoyed it. This one plays more like a chronicle of HK in the 50s and 60s with kung fu action sprinkled throughout. Contrarely to Albert, the minimal use of wires in the final fight didn't bother me all. In fact wire use is very low thoughout the movie, consisting of assisted fall and a few kicks, but I thought it was rarely distracting.

As pointed out, the Wong-Tsang duel, albeit very short, is a threat to see, of course considering the age of both protagonists. That being said, this fight highlights what I thought was the goods and the bad of the action in the movie: it's mostly grounded and Anthony Wong is impressive, but it's short. Kudos though to Wong and evryone involved as he looks good in all his fight scenes, an impressive feat considering his age and non martial arts backgound. The only time I was not sure was in the begining in the" knock me out if the paper" scene, where there is obvious undercranking, but nevertheless, the rest looks good.

Definately worth looking, although I'm not sure how many viewing this can survive.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just to clarify, Anthony Wong has studied Tai Sing Pa Kua monkey boxing for many years, so he's not exactly new to martial arts. though the amount of actual classic styles screen fighting he has done in his career is minimal.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Oh... Didn't know about that, thanks for clarifying. Ok then, he is not a seasonned screen fighter and is still not a young man.

Oh... Didn't know about that, thanks for clarifying. Ok then, he is not a seasonned screen fighter and is still not a young man.

I knew about Anthony's training in Monkey style and it was this reason why he really did well in the fight scenes. He even impressed me with his fights in THE HEROIC TRIO against Michelle Yeoh and of course, HOUSE OF FURY. But playing Ip Man really took the cake...he really looked great with Wing Chun.

It seems to be taking its sweet time getting here to the States. I want to see both Ip Man: The Final Fight and The Grandmaster. I am waiting for rental since I do not want to just go out and buy these.

In Order (so far) -

Ip Man

Ip Man 2

Ip Man The Beginning

Ha. Weird that I actually like the movies in the order that they were released. I thought that Ip Man had the story, acting and fighting overall best combination. Ip Man 2 probably had better fight scenes than Ip Man but I thought that the story was not so great and rather typical; not saying that the first one did not suffer from this somewhat too. Ip Man the Beginning was good but just not at the same level as the other two.

One Armed Boxer
Ip Man 2 probably had better fight scenes than Ip Man

Wow, really!? I respect your opinion, but for me nothing in 'Ip Man 2' came close to the quality on show in the original - Yen's initial fight against the master of the other school, Fan Siu Wong vs the other school masters, Yen vs Fan Siu Wong, Yen vs 10 karate masters...& even thought the final fight against Hiroyuki Ikeuchi was a little one sided, it was still a cut above the finale of the second one in my eyes.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Wow, really!? I respect your opinion, but for me nothing in 'Ip Man 2' came close to the quality on show in the original - Yen's initial fight against the master of the other school, Fan Siu Wong vs the other school masters, Yen vs Fan Siu Wong, Yen vs 10 karate masters...& even thought the final fight against Hiroyuki Ikeuchi was a little one sided, it was still a cut above the finale of the second one in my eyes.

If I had to nitpick the first Ip Man movie, it would be that last fight against Hiroyuki Ikeuchi. I mean you have this great build up and tension all throughout the damn movie and then once the last fight comes around, it lasted less than a minute. Why the fuck did they do that? It was suppose to be this gigantic epic fight and yet it was done so unsatisfying ly. I was laughing when the writers at Twitch called it the best martial arts movie in the last ten years or so and you know that's bullshit, lol...

Ha. Weird that I actually like the movies in the order that they were released. I thought that Ip Man had the story, acting and fighting overall best combination. Ip Man 2 probably had better fight scenes than Ip Man but I thought that the story was not so great and rather typical; not saying that the first one did not suffer from this somewhat too. Ip Man the Beginning was good but just not at the same level as the other two.

I'm with you on Ip Man 2 having better fights than the original. I can always enjoy the sparring match in Yip's mansion, Fan Siu Wong's introductory fights, the dojo and cotton mill fights. But the way Sammo shot the fight choreography in the sequel, despite bad wirework present in some fight scenes and occasional fast editing, was just more satisfying for me. Even the boxing matches with Shahlavi was a blast to watch imo.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one yesterday. I don't know what it is about Herman Yau's ventures into the kung-fu movie world, but for some reason both this and 'The Woman Knight of Mirror Lake' just didn't grip me. Both are mainly dramas with scenes of kung-fu interspersed, thankfully done with for the most part real martial artists, but in both cases the drama that's so central to the story just failed to interest me.

I guess I might just not have been in the mood to watch it, but the quiet dignity that both Donnie Yen managed to convey in 'Ip Man' & also by Tony Leung in 'The Grandmaster' (my favorite of the Ip Man movies), here just came across as watching Anthony Wong, an actor I usually love, just moping around looking miserable for 100 minutes.

While the action is solid, towards the end it does seem more and more forced, with the sudden reveal of there being an underground fighting tournament coming across as nothing more than a plot device that would allow for a climatic fight scene. Certainly nothing that's happened during the rest of the movie gives any buildup to an action finale, so when it comes it all seems a little tagged on, a bit like the ending of 'Ip Man 2'.

Throw in a rather odd scene with Bruce Lee, that seems to be there simply because it felt obligatory, and the equally strange scene of watching Ip Man's real life son Ip Chun playing a store clerk that tells Ip Man that his son is calling for him on the phone (very meta), and for me 'Ip Man: Final Fight' missed the mark.

I knew about Anthony's training in Monkey style and it was this reason why he really did well in the fight scenes. He even impressed me with his fights in THE HEROIC TRIO against Michelle Yeoh and of course, HOUSE OF FURY. But playing Ip Man really took the cake...he really looked great with Wing Chun.

Totally agree with you Albert. Wong conducted himself admirably. In fact I'm more inclined to believe this was more accurate to Ip's demeanor.

This has probably been mentioned but Ip Man The Final Fight is playing in select theaters in the US. Of course, select means: nowhere near me. There is like 3 days until it starts playing. And, of course, WellGO is releasing it. Makes sense. Good to know. I like how they have been handling their kung fu releases. So far, anyways...

After almost two years of deciding whether to go for it or not, I finally sat down and gave the film a shot. It has to be said: This is the best Yip Man film to date. In terms of depicting Yip's life authentically anyway. It's clear that Yau and co did their research and brought as much as they could out of their homework as well as under Yip Chun's consultation, unlike what team Yip/Yen and WKW/Leung did. From Yip's migration to HK, teaching students, the students' lives, the changes in Yip's life etc. It's rich with details and is chronologically well told. In comparison, it stands out being more than just a kung fu biopic. As much as I still prefer Yen's portrayal, Wong as Yip did a top-notch job making his more genuine. That softened/overly calm posture that Yen made famous isn't always there and Wong's shows more varying expressions depending on the mood, like a normal being that we all can relate to. Simply put, the film shows Yip in a more humane light in comparison which is another reason the film works so well.

Action-wise, I wasn't too impressed though. The choreography was fine but most of the players look damn rigid in their performances which took away for me. It's something of a current problem for most talents (old and new) in MA action films in Hong Kong today. Same motions, same timing, same emphasis on hits/impact, all same everything. Kudos to Wong and Yan Yan, they were really impressive and stood out with their action scenes.

Action-wise, I wasn't too impressed though. The choreography was fine but most of the players look damn rigid in their performances which took away for me. It's something of a current problem for most talents (old and new) in MA action films in Hong Kong today. Same motions, same timing, same emphasis on hits/impact, all same everything. Kudos to Wong and Yan Yan, they were really impressive and stood out with their action scenes.

I picked up a fansub of this in São Paulo's Japantown. The subtitles seem like they were literally translated from the Vietnamese subs, which was odd. It also made the film uninteligible. So I just skipped to the fight scenes. The fight with Eric Tsang was strangely enough the highlight. You know, I really wonder if Ken Low did anything good, fight-wise, outside of Drunken Master 2 and Mahjong Dragon (and his limited bit in Thunderbolt). I'm beginning to think that he didn't, which is sad.

Archived