Ip Man: Final Fight (starring Anthony Wong) 2013

Maz

Just scanning through the action and it, is, hot ish! KF baby! Those choreographers kicked it. Nicky brings some nice camera work that picks up everything, moves with subtlety and doesn't try to make the action up by editing. It's there. This ain't Sammo or The Grandmaster. This is KF. One of the best jobs of style usage I've seen in a while. Does a great job of showing WC and HG to strength. Strikes and somewhat more impressively, the counters. It's all in the chor., during the takes and NOT in the editing. Beautiful ish. Will sit down and watch it later.

Thanks Cap'n.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget Sin Kwok Lam is a dedicated student of Lau Kar Leung; following his footsteps, not just with actual kung but also film showcasing now. With these productions they want to get as much technique in as possible, some serious kung fu bods; I think they did a great job here; hey I may be a bit bias, but I think this film really delivers. Hope they go the hung route for a future production; very plausible...

everyone does good action wise apart from ken lo, not sure what happened to him its like he cant kick anymore and his handwork wasn't that good anyway.

I now wonder how his fight scene with Donnie in Special Identity will be like. Worrying...

this whole crew is hope for the kung fu genre.
Possible Butcher Wing film from the crew up next; press stuff: SKL just been promoting his new book on wing chun recent & stated at launch he's done with wing chun films (also possible mild disparage of WKW's WC repres), wants to think about hung gar promotion - stated at press conference he's thinking of Anthony Wong as Wong Fei Hung; Eric Tsang as the Magnificent Butcher Lam Sai Wing, & SKL's hung student Marvel Chow (also co wing chun consultant with my Sifu on final fight) as LKL's dad Lau Jaam... if that happens I guess there might be some other serious involvement involved... get my drift... Anyhoo; I'll see my teacher tomorrow; see if there's any skinny...

Yes; think also a Mok Gwai Lan consideration at one point.

That would be interesting.

It's great to see that Sin Kwok Lam wants to provide Hung Kuen with exposure similar to what Wing Chun has gotten recently.

Yeah a Hung Gar flik by some real Hung Gar men sounds cool...

but I aint sure about Tsang Chi Wai as Lam si-tai-gung though, get Fatty back to play him again, make it Magnificent Butcher part 2...

maybe we'll get the Lok Sin theatre battle onscreen, Fatty versus 80 men, and Lau Jaam in the fish market battle too....spin that split up bamboo pole...

Yeah a Hung Gar flik by some real Hung Gar men sounds cool...

but I aint sure about Tsang Chi Wai as Lam si-tai-gung though, get Fatty back to play him again, make it Magnificent Butcher part 2...

maybe we'll get the Lok Sin theatre battle onscreen, Fatty versus 80 men, and Lau Jaam in the fish market battle too....spin that split up bamboo pole...

Didn't Tsang Chi Wai play him in that parody film of OUATIC with Alan Tam?

Obviously this would be an entirely different caliber of film, but Eric isn't a bad actor these days.

no disrespect to Eric, he's directed two of the sickest shapesfests ever, but seeing Sammo back as Chu Yuk Wing once more is a dream of mine, and this film sounds the best bet!!!

Peringatan, perhaps you can pass along a hint....Sin Kwok Lam si-fu should definitely cast (my fave new (ish) HK screen fighter) Dennis To in this too....and perhaps his own si-fu as Wong Fei Hung (the only man worthy of the role)

I just watched today and must say I totally loved it... the fighting and also the acting was really ok,and I liked Anthony Wong how he played yip man...

now if the same team makes a movie about hung gar kuen that would be awesome!!!

no disrespect to Eric, he's directed two of the sickest shapesfests ever, but seeing Sammo back as Chu Yuk Wing once more is a dream of mine, and this film sounds the best bet!!!

Peringatan, perhaps you can pass along a hint....Sin Kwok Lam si-fu should definitely cast (my fave new (ish) HK screen fighter) Dennis To in this too....and perhaps his own si-fu as Wong Fei Hung (the only man worthy of the role)

I wholeheartedly agree on both points. Eric isn't a bad choice, but Sammo would be the best.

Close Quarters

for those that have seen this, is this movie's fighting as good or better than the ip man prequel that didn't have donnie in it?

for those that have seen this, is this movie's fighting as good or better than the ip man prequel that didn't have donnie in it?

in my opinion absolutely... its on the same level as the ones with donnie yen ...

Close Quarters

Damn, that's high praise for the fighting if you're saying it's on par with Donnie's Ip movies. I'm glad to hear it, hopefully Well Go picks it up for a U.S. release. I want to say they picked up Grandmasters, but not sure when that one is coming out.

I finally watched this movie...

.....and while i wish there had been a tad more fight action, i really enjoyed it, the handplay between Anthony Wong and Eric Tsang was superb, i loved the mui fah johng lion dance and kick off afterwards too. The finale was a bit scrappy, but some good work with Clubfoot saved it..

in that little fight at the start with Dirty Fong Hak On, is that Mang Hoi kicking off alongside him????

Drunken Monk

This is getting a US theatrical release in September, preceded by a VOD release on August 20th. Courtesy of Well Go USA.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Last night I watched IP MAN: THE FINAL FIGHT. I think it's really good, but will warn everyone here that it is much more of a drama/character study than an all out kung fu movie per say. Of course there IS kung fu in it, and it is great stuff. It looks like all of Anthony Wong's action stuff is under-cranked, but his Wing Chun skills still look very impressive. And after years of seeing Eric Tsang goofing around with the Lucky Stars, it's wild to see him busting out some truly fantastic moves. Funny that in his prime, no doubt due in part to his diminutive size, he never got to unleash his full action potential. Instead he was relegated to bit parts and stunt-work before becoming a full-fledged comedy star. But now, against the odds, at 59 years old he is tearing up the screen with his kung fu skills. His Hop Gar versus Wing Chun fight with Anthony was blazing hot stuff, and he gives off an aura of considerable power!

The recreation of 1950s Hong Kong is truly incredible, with startlingly authentic looking signs, wardrobes, cars, and set dressings. In addition, the cinematography and lighting are excellent and give the viewer a you-are-there feeling to the film. The acting and script were top-notch, and the film has some very moving moments throughout, including a beautiful little romantic scene between Mister and Missus Ip. Herman Yau has done a wonderful job directing the film, and it's definitely one I will be returning to, to watch again and again.

The cast all give it their best. And though following Donnie Yen, Dennis To, and Tony Leung Chiu-Wai's portrayals of Ip Man couldn't have been an easy task, I found Anthony Wong's depiction to be quite unique and engaging. Other than the standout roles by Anita Yuen Wing-Yee (as Mrs. Ip), Eric Tsang, Jordan Chan Siu-Chun (as a student, and policeman that's torn between his beliefs and corruption), Betty Huang Yi, and Gillian Chung Yan-Tung (she's come a long way from her cutesy movie appearances as half of the pop group The Twins). Throughout the film I kept seeing so many welcome, familiar faces- Jiang Lu-Xia (COWEB) is on fire here, Timmy Hung Tin-Ming (Sammo's son, who's looking better and better each film as an action guy), Rose Chan Ka-Wun (THE WOMAN KNIGHT OF MIRROR LAKE), our man Xiong Xin-Xin (THE BLADE) is fantastic here, Ken Lo Wai-Kwong (DRUNKEN MASTER 2), Liu Kai-Chi (S.P.L.), Leo Au Yeung is really good and needs to be in more roles, Fung Hak-On (WARRIORS TWO), and think I even saw Meng Hoi (HITMAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA)! And Zhou Dingyu (World Wushu Championship gold medalist) makes his impressive acting debut here.

Like many of you, I was worried about Nicky Li Chung-Chi doing the action choreography. Though I liked most of what he did in INVISIBLE TARGET, and thought that BAD BLOOD and FATAL MOVE had some good stuff. Things like the abysmal LEGENDARY ASSASSIN, and the other dozen poorly choreographed, sloppy-wire trick filled films he's choreographed have definitely soiled his name for me. Fortunately, he is joined on this film's action by Xiong Xin-Xin, Checkley Sin Kwok-Lam, and others. There is hardly any wire action in the film at all (though for me, these few moments did stand out like a sore thumb), other than a brief sequence where it is entirely appropriate. The combat in the film is filmed clearly, with non-obtrusive editing, and powerful looking exchanges. There are a few multiple person rumbles, and I thought the action direction in these was sweet. These sequences truly looked off the cuff, and showed realistic looking street fighting applications of kung fu techniques. But there is also classic one-on-one combat as well.

I'd rate this an easy 8.5 out of 10. It may even get a 9.0 after I see it with decent subtitles.

And in this regard I warn you O' impatient collectors- the copies of the film that are floating around are suffering from extremely poor subtitles. The translations barely make any sense at all, as though they were created via Google Translate. Despite this, I enjoyed the film tremendously. I'm so glad to hear that Well Go USA Entertainment has picked this one up for release. Blu-Ray please! :nerd: Hope all you kung fu fans support their legit release of this. They've been doing a Hell of a job. Lets help keep this one in business, eh?

decent movie, action kind of starts up in the middle of the movie, everyone does good action wise apart from ken lo, not sure what happened to him its like he cant kick anymore and his handwork wasnt that good anyway.

I thought he was decent in this. He has rarely risen to the levels of his DRUNKEN MASTER 2 action performance over the years, and this is no exception. I wonder if he suffered a serious injury that doesn't allow him to do that kind of stuff anymore?

Just scanning through the action and it, is, hot ish! KF baby! Those choreographers kicked it. Nicky brings some nice camera work that picks up everything, moves with subtlety and doesn't try to make the action up by editing. It's there. This ain't Sammo or The Grandmaster. This is KF. One of the best jobs of style usage I've seen in a while. Does a great job of showing WC and HG to strength. Strikes and somewhat more impressively, the counters. It's all in the chor., during the takes and NOT in the editing. Beautiful ish.

Ditto! Glad this turned you around BaronK. I kind of remember you being one of the people sort of rolling your eyes at the announcement of "yet another Ip Man film" many months ago. Isn't it great to be surprised by something way better than you had anticipated? It seems to happen less and less these days. But IP MAN: THE FINAL FIGHT does NOT disappoint. :nerd:

Don't forget Sin Kwok Lam is a dedicated student of Lau Kar Leung; following his footsteps, not just with actual kung but also film showcasing now. With these productions they want to get as much technique in as possible, some serious kung fu bods; I think they did a great job here; hey I may be a bit bias, but I think this film really delivers. Hope they go the hung route for a future production; very plausible...

Fingers crossed for that!

Possible Butcher Wing film from the crew up next; press stuff: SKL just been promoting his new book on wing chun recent & stated at launch he's done with wing chun films (also possible mild disparage of WKW's WC repres), wants to think about hung gar promotion - stated at press conference he's thinking of Anthony Wong as Wong Fei Hung; Eric Tsang as the Magnificent Butcher Lam Sai Wing, & SKL's hung student Marvel Chow (also co wing chun consultant with my Sifu on final fight) as LKL's dad Lau Jaam... if that happens I guess there might be some other serious involvement involved.

Oh YES PLEASE!

Anyhoo; I'll see my teacher tomorrow; see if there's any skinny...

Bro, when are you going to get your face in one of these films? Seems like you're so close to so many people involved in the productions. That would be cool to see you in there. Are you interested in that?

I just watched today and must say I totally loved it... the fighting and also the acting was really ok,and I liked Anthony Wong how he played yip man...

now if the same team makes a movie about hung gar kuen that would be awesome!!!

I'm with you on all of that Frank. :bigsmile:

massa_yoda

Dang it...now I HAVE to see this. You guys are making it sound too good! :)

peringaten

Fingers crossed for that!

Oh YES PLEASE!

Bro, when are you going to get your face in one of these films? Seems like you're so close to so many people involved in the productions. That would be cool to see you in there. Are you interested in that?

Hey KFBob, production on a hung gar film is probably going to happen now, but instead of Wong Fei-Hung, Butcher Wing, etc. it will probably focus on LKL's dad Lau Jaam & tell his story as those other guys are already much covered; no actor for Lau Jaam decided though - film company behind Ip Final Fight will possibly partner up with the film company behind that recent Andy Lau, Jackie film Shaolin to proper up budgets, but hopefully the kung will be much better than Shaolin; LKL student behind it this time & whatnot, showcasing proper hung fist; they realise the legacy responsibilities & love the art.......

Don't know about my face in there; who knows what life has to offer. Off to Hong Kong in a week or so for LKL's funeral; 2 weeks out, will be one of the maddest experiences of my life I'm sure; especially considering the faces that will be there & some of the events that will be planned.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, that will no doubt be quite an experience, despite the sad circumstances. Be sure to report back when you have the time.

Archived