The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

AlbertV

Secret Executioner
For those interested :wink:

Me9P9mTlwQU

So, from what I gathered, it's kinda like a mix between the Iron Man sequels (teasers for next films, changing tone...) and a Godfrey Ho movie. :tongue:

Wanted to check it out, but I guess I'll pass - I knew Rhino would be (sadly) underused and that pretty much all the villains would be OsCorp made, but if the film has a heavy emphasis on the relationship between Gwen and Peter, I clearly don't give a shit. I want a superhero film, not a splice-and-cut mixing a superhero film and a romance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad we could help! Oh, and your requested "retro review" is in post-production :wink:

"That.... makes me feel better"

:smile:

Secret Executioner

Anyone's seen this one ? I haven't seen it yet, but someone I know went to see it and gave up after 10 MINUTES !!! :ooh:

Looks like it's really really bad... :squigglemouth:

Drunken Monk
Anyone's seen this one ? I haven't seen it yet, but someone I know went to see it and gave up after 10 MINUTES !!! :ooh:

Looks like it's really really bad... :squigglemouth:

This is what I wrote after seeing it...

Just got back from watching “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”

While I feel as though the action is as Spider-Manish as it can get (which is a good thing), the film, as a whole, felt like five different Spider-Man films turned up to an orgy, they all shagged each other but none of them had an orgasm.

It was a mess. The writers must have been asked, “What can Electro do, exactly?” and, in the heat at the moment, they yelled out, “Everything.” His powers were all over the shop.

Loved the Green Goblin. All six seconds of him (spoiler?). And The Rhino needed to be cut out of the film entirely.

Despite some questionable moments, the Gwen Stacy “moment” was really good and the film, all in all, wasn’t terrible.

If it was just allowed to breathe a little, I feel like it would have been a really good superhero film. As it is, it’s entertaining but a giant, confused tangle of a film.

Secret Executioner
This is what I wrote after seeing it...

Just got back from watching “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”

While I feel as though the action is as Spider-Manish as it can get (which is a good thing), the film, as a whole, felt like five different Spider-Man films turned up to an orgy, they all shagged each other but none of them had an orgasm.

It was a mess. The writers must have been asked, “What can Electro do, exactly?” and, in the heat at the moment, they yelled out, “Everything.” His powers were all over the shop.

Loved the Green Goblin. All six seconds of him (spoiler?). And The Rhino needed to be cut out of the film entirely.

Despite some questionable moments, the Gwen Stacy “moment” was really good and the film, all in all, wasn’t terrible.

If it was just allowed to breathe a little, I feel like it would have been a really good superhero film. As it is, it’s entertaining but a giant, confused tangle of a film.

Wow, 6 seconds of Goblin (yeah, I mean, it's not like he's Spidey's major foe or anything)... Wasn't sure what Rhino's point was in this, but he does seem to be pointless in the end. :squigglemouth:

Too bad they couldn't focus on Electro (in terms of defining his character better). I can get over the appearance thing, keeping in mind it's a take on the Ultimate Spidey and not (as the title would suggest) the regular Amazing Spider-Man series (cause he looks really bad, I MUCH prefer the classic look, no matter how campy it would be), but they should have defined bondaries - from what you're saying, he seems limitless and able to do anything, which would kinda make him the ultimate villain with everything a supervillain needs (including the knowledge of Spidey's secret identity ?).

Speaking of which, I hope it won't go as stupid as the first trilogy where Spidey would find himself unmasked in public places yet NOBODY would have a freaking clue about his identity. :squigglemouth:

Concerning Gwen Stacy, I personally do not give a damn about this. That whole focus on Spidey's love life feels really useless (and I'm still waiting for the Goblin to throw the bitch off the Brooklyn Bridge...).

BTW, saw some AS2 action figures today and there seems to be a line for this movie with only 4 figures: 3 Spiderman (two having weird gear) and one Electro - they look pretty nice I must say.

Drunken Monk

MAJOR SPOILER BELOW!! Highlight text to read...

While Gwen Stacy doesn't get tossed off the Brooklyn bridge, she does die and it's a pretty well executed scene. Possibly the the most well directed one in the entire film.

Peter doesn't get unmasked at all in this one, thankfully. Spider-Man is definitely Spider-Man as there's really no peril regarding his identity getting out.

Yep, Electro can do everything: fly, turn into electricity, turn invisible, levitate things/people, teleport. You name it. It genuinely bugged me because it feels as though the only thought put into him was his appearance.

Rumours are that Kraven will be the villain in the third film. I'd love to see a cat and mouse Spider-Man film with Kraven chasing his prey against the New York skyline.

Secret Executioner
Peter doesn't get unmasked at all in this one, thankfully. Spider-Man is definitely Spider-Man as there's really no peril regarding his identity getting out.

Yep, Electro can do everything: fly, turn into electricity, turn invisible, levitate things/people, teleport. You name it. It genuinely bugged me because it feels as though the only thought put into him was his appearance.

Rumours are that Kraven will be the villain in the third film. I'd love to see a cat and mouse Spider-Man film with Kraven chasing his prey against the New York skyline.

Last time I checked, Electro was merely a guy who could generate electricity and fields...

The 3rd film could be interesting if that's the case - at least we wouldn't have another freak/result of experiment gone wrong at Oscorp as the villain, or I don't see what kind of experiment would result in Kraven (assuming he'll be a guy with enhanced abilities like he was in the comics and not a bag of animal-related powers).

Read something strange on youtube: people assume one character in the movie (a guy seen in a sort of lab with Doc Ock robotic arms and Vulture wings in the background, he appears towards the middle of

) to turn out to be Mysterion... Does that make a 4th bad guy (assuming Osborn Sr. doesn't count) ? :eek:

Drunken Monk

It wasn't Mysterio. We do see Doc Ock's arms and the Vulture's wings but the shadowy guy reveals himself to be Gustav Fiers; a guys who's integral in putting in Sinister Six together. If that's the guy you're talking about.

The next film in the Spider-Man series isn't going to be "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" but, instead, a Sinister Six film. I don't know how they're going to do a villain-centric film without Spider-Man but apparently the script is being written.

Secret Executioner
It wasn't Mysterio. We do see Doc Ock's arms and the Vulture's wings but the shadowy guy reveals himself to be Gustav Fiers; a guys who's integral in putting in Sinister Six together. If that's the guy you're talking about.

The next film in the Spider-Man series isn't going to be "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" but, instead, a Sinister Six film. I don't know how they're going to do a villain-centric film without Spider-Man but apparently the script is being written.

Oh okay. Read of a project for a Sinister Six movie - they already have quite the line-up to make it apparently (seeing all the villains featured or teased in AS2).

Secret Executioner

Went out and saw that one today.

It's not that horrible, the romance between Peter and Gwen is okay (though Gwen grows more and more annoying over the film) and the action is enjoyable.

However, Electro is a complete waste: the guy is originally ridiculous, his capability to do anything is annoying (especially since he just gets electrocuted and bitten by electric eels to start with... Does Spider-Man show abilities with nothing to do with spiders ? No, then Electro should be an electricity-based villain, not an elemental being) and frankly, the situations involving him are (for the most part) stupid.

Harry Osborn seems like a more interesting character: he knows Parker, he has a condition (of which we are barely told anything, except his father died of it and it will affect him greatly), he is the boss of OsCorp (but the commitee turns against him for no real reason and he loses it)... Basically, the time spent showing that stupid Electro could have been used explaining Harry better - he makes a decent Green Goblin though. The appearance ain't that great, but the insanity of the character and the way he hurts Spidey badly are well done. I enjoyed this character, but I wish his backstory had been more elaborate and some points were clearer.

Rhino... Enjoyable because he's way OTT, but that's it. No real point in the story (except as a big teaser for the Sinister Six).

Noticed one detail also: when Harry is browsing the content of the device his father gave him, anyone else spotted something referring to "Venom" in the files (along with Doc Ock and Vulture related names) ? While the end obviously paves the way for the Sinister Six (with Rhino being launched and Doc Ock and Vulture suggested), this could be a teaser for the upcoming Venom movie (which should follow the Sinister Six one). I hope it's still the symbiote - I'd hate him to be the result of another freak accident or some guy in a battle suit (since all the villains seem to be that by now). My guess would be that the symbiote (or a sample) is among the secret files of OsCorp.

Secret Executioner
Godzilla would shit on Spider-man.

Even a gigantic spider would be no match for Godzilla. :tongue:

VcJtnN0tMKA

BTW, I love the score in this film (Son Of Godzilla, not Amazing Spider-Man 2):

17VVR6vMH68

Drunken Monk
Godzilla would shit on Spider-man.

I don't know. Spider-Man did knock Galactus out...

bVUFqLi.jpg

daisho2004

OK I just got back from seeing this movie, now I'm going to give review Pros first than Cons:

1) I liked the whole backdrop story about his Parents it explains everything and actually shows how they Died.

2) Jamie Fox as Electro was Awesome.

3) Andrew Garfield as Spider-man is Great

Cons:

1) Again as in Spider-man 3 I felt they had to many villains, and they hardly got any screen time except Electro! Again why?! Didn't they learn from that movie to many villains ruin a movie!

2) Rhino had 5 minutes of Screen time at the End and it didn't even show them fighting! And I hated the Giant Metal costume he lokded like a small Transformer!

3) You bring back the Green Goblin and I like how he looked, but again he comes in towards the end and has about 10 minutes of screen time and the fight scenes wasn't even that good!

Overall I thought it was a good Popcorn Flick but no where near as good as the 1st Spider-Man

Secret Executioner

DM: I think Spidey was able to defeat the Hulk at a point - it was in the late 1980s, when Hulk was grey, more mature and somewhat weaker while Spiderman (who was wearing his black suit, talk about completely different color schemes) had become stronger for some reason.

1) I liked the whole backdrop story about his Parents it explains everything and actually shows how they Died.

3) Andrew Garfield as Spider-man is Great

Cons:

1) Again as in Spider-man 3 I felt they had to many villains, and they hardly got any screen time except Electro! Again why?! Didn't they learn from that movie to many villains ruin a movie!

2) Rhino had 5 minutes of Screen time at the End and it didn't even show them fighting! And I hated the Giant Metal costume he lokded like a small Transformer!

3) You bring back the Green Goblin and I like how he looked, but again he comes in towards the end and has about 10 minutes of screen time and the fight scenes wasn't even that good!

Agreed on all the accounts - I don't remember ever hearing of Peter's parents and how they disappeared, so it was nice they gave a background, even if it fits only in this universe. And, yeah, Andrew Garfield is great, I didn't like the previous actor who played Spidey that much (saw only the first film from 2002 and even this average AS2 was IMO better).

And while I rather thought of Batman & Robin than Spiderman 3, I think the "too many villains" issue is obvious. Especially seeing how Rhino (whose appearance kinda bugs me TBH - how does that suit works ?!) so it's better than nothing) and (especially) the Goblin were kind of wasted (hopefully, the Sinister Six movie will use its characters more wisely).

Secret Executioner

One thing that I found kinda weird (no, let's be honest... REALLY weird) is the fact that half if not most of what you see in the trailer is NOT here (the "happy ending" thing, Peter and Aunt May talk, Harry revealing that OsCorp's been monitoring Peter for years). Weird. :squigglemouth:

Archived