Conan the Conqueror (2017)

AlbertV

Dark Horizons has reported that a direct sequel to the 1982 version of CONAN THE BARBARIAN is in development.

For those who saw the final shot, it has Conan, played by Ahhh-Nold, sitting on a throne. Well, the film will now be set 30 years after the original film under the title LEGEND OF CONAN. And even more good the news for the fans of the original, Ahhh-Nold will return to play Conan, now the King and wants one final battle before he meets his fate and heads to Valhalla.

Universal will be releasing the film and they hope to get a Summer 2014 release, with the possibility of Chris Morgan (screenwriter for FAST AND FURIOUS 3-6) writing and producing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George Tan (Cinema of Vengeance) is producing a Thai-made Conan movie called Iron Shadows (click here for the full story). Toby Russell (Top Fighter) and Ron Smoorenburg (Who Am I?) also star.

Check out the promotional/set photos below:

Promtional.jpg

ConanImages.jpg

4 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger revealed that the once titled Legend of Conan is now going to be called Conan the Conqueror.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/41049/schwarzenegger-reveals-new-conan-title

That's interesting as the film Kull The Conqueror(1997) was developed from an unmade Conan sequel that was to feature Arnold. Not sure if he's up to this role now as much as I'd love to see another Conan movie with Arnie.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

That's interesting as the film Kull The Conqueror(1997) was developed from an unmade Conan sequel that was to feature Arnold. Not sure if he's up to this role now as much as I'd love to see another Conan movie with Arnie.

Well, from my understanding, he is supposed to play Conan as the aging King who knows he is getting older, but may just have a little fight in him left. So I'm just hoping the script is done right and it allows Arnie to bring that glory back yet still show the age. 

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

Well, from my understanding, he is supposed to play Conan as the aging King who knows he is getting older, but may just have a little fight in him left. So I'm just hoping the script is done right and it allows Arnie to bring that glory back yet still show the age. 

That's right Albert the idea's been kicking around since the 90's. At the end of Conan The Barbarian there's a shot of him sat on a throne with Mako doing a narration. There's two different versions of this scene. One shows Conan sporting a big beard that's going grey and on the other version he doesn't have a beard at all. The Mako speech varies slightly also depending on which shot was used. The VHS version I had featured on scene whilst the DVD/BR featured another.

Here's two pictures showing the variation.

Legend_of_Conan_Arnold_Schwarzenegger.jp

561b296a1b2c603fe3affc2604f8acfa.jpg

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Cool info DC... I've always seen the beard shot and I've been wanting to see this part of the Arnold Conan's story since 1982. Weird, yet fitting Arnold will be 70 when this comes out. 

If anyone has not read Timothy Truman's recent King Conan mini series (there were several), they're all quite good and  fine lead up to this. 

Thanks SE & LJSY, John Milius had intentions to make more of these films in the 80's. He dropped out because of the restrictions the studios wanted to impose on him.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks SE & LJSY, John Milius had intentions to make more of these films in the 80's. He dropped out because of the restrictions the studios wanted to impose on him.

yeah, I heard there was some scuffle with the King Conan movie when Milius attempted to come back to do this a good 15 years ago.  He writes so intensely brilliant, brutal screenplays too (his King Conan was quite good.  I wonder if they'll use the core of that for this new film?)

1 hour ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

yeah, I heard there was some scuffle with the King Conan movie when Milius attempted to come back to do this a good 15 years ago.  He writes so intensely brilliant, brutal screenplays too (his King Conan was quite good.  I wonder if they'll use the core of that for this new film?)

I haven't read Milius King Conan screenplay LJSY. Oliver Stone wrote the original movie screenplay in 1978. Milius then took over when he came on board & didn't use that much from Stone's script. His health's not been too good recently so I'm not sure if he will be involved in the new project?. If you are a fan of his wok you might enjoy the documentary about him titled, Milius(2013).

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
On January 29, 2016 at 10:21 AM, DragonClaws said:

Milius King Conan screenplay LJSY. Oliver Stone wrote the original movie screenplay in 1978. Milius then took over when he came on board & didn't use that much from Stone's script. His health's not been too good recently so I'm not sure if he will be involved in the new project?. If you are a fan of his wok you might enjoy the documentary about him titled, Milius(2013).

Ah didn't know about Oliver Stone writing the original Conan back in 1978. Alas, the Milus draft of King Conan is only available now as an eBook but if you look up the reviews you'll probably get an idea of what was up. 

Yeah, I need to see that Documentary, thanks for the reminder. I have Milius' original script for Jeremiah Johnson and it is vicious. More like the factual work  about Liver-Eatin' Johnson ("The Crow Killer") mixed with Vardis Fisher's novel The Mountain Man. Doesn't surprise me that Robert Redford wanted a rewrite.  

13 hours ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Ah didn't know about Oliver Stone writing the original Conan back in 1978. Alas, the Milus draft of King Conan is only available now as an eBook but if you look up the reviews you'll probably get an idea of what was up. 

Yeah, I need to see that Documentary, thanks for the reminder. I have Milius' original script for Jeremiah Johnson and it is vicious. More like the factual work  about Liver-Eatin' Johnson ("The Crow Killer") mixed with Vardis Fisher's novel The Mountain Man. Doesn't surprise me that Robert Redford wanted a rewrite.  

The finale in the original Oliver Stone screenplay had Conan fighting a huge horde of mutant type creatures. One of the main reasons I think it got dropped is the budget just wasn't big enough for Stone's vision to be brought to life. I'm Milius wanted to add his own ideas too and he didn't discard all the stuff from that first script/story.

Long time since I watched Jeremiah Johnson, always thought Peckinpah at his peak would have done something interesting with that story. Must be great to see the original script before they started to make any changes.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
32 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Long time since I watched Jeremiah Johnson, always thought Peckinpah at his peak would have done something interesting with that story. Must be great to see the original script before they started to make any changes.

Actually, the original script feels like something Lucio Fulci and Franco Nero would have done (yes the cannibalism and the utter harshness of survival in the mountains / wilderness was explored in detail. Milius script also focused on how legendary Jeremiah would become amongst the Crows, etc.  It was epic on a lot of levels, which is why I was happy to see him take over Conan. 

Thanks for sharing the additional info about Stone's Conan too.  I am very curious about where this next Conan film will go. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Actually, the original script feels like something Lucio Fulci and Franco Nero would have done (yes the cannibalism and the utter harshness of survival in the mountains / wilderness was explored in detail. Milius script also focused on how legendary Jeremiah would become amongst the Crows, etc.  It was epic on a lot of levels, which is why I was happy to see him take over Conan. 

Thanks for sharing the additional info about Stone's Conan too.  I am very curious about where this next Conan film will go. 

No problem, the stuff Ive posted was mentioned in a making of documentary featured on the first SE DVD release of the movie.

Like you said LJSY its going to be interesting to see how they handle this one. I've never even watched the 2011 film because I love the Milius version so much. I don't dislike Jason Momoa because he's very good at physical roles and he looked the part.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

I've never even watched the 2011 film because I love the Milius version so much. I don't dislike Jason Momoa because he's very good at physical roles and he looked the part.

Ditto: I think Momoa is going to be a great Aquaman and I like him, but still haven't seen that version.

2 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Ditto: I think Momoa is going to be a great Aquaman and I like him, but still haven't seen that version.

Loved his performance as Keegan in Bullet To The Head(2012). You know a lot more than me regarding comics so I cant really pass judgement on him being suitable for the Aquaman role.

Do not bother watching the new Conan, Hollywood has took the "Fuck it why try it will make money off the name" attitude with remakes, it makes Conan the Destroyer watchable. Shame, Momoa could of been a good Conan, he's as physically imposing as Arnie in his youth.

Nice find on beardless Arnie ending, I don't think they put that on the alternate ending version where the princess goes with him to kill Thulsa Doom, I'll have to look. 

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Loved his performance as Keegan in Bullet To The Head(2012). You know a lot more than me regarding comics so I cant really pass judgement on him being suitable for the Aquaman role.

Agreed on Bullet To the Head. He makes a great villain. From what little I know of the cinematic Aquaman, it seems to me they're using my favorite version of Aquaman (the "edgy" 90s bad ass) as the basis for Momoa's take while allowing some of Jason's heritage to influence the character.  Works for me. 

@Tosh true. If they'd put some real thought into the stories rather than making it entirely spectacle, I'd give more current remakes a look. 

13 hours ago, Tosh said:

Do not bother watching the new Conan, Hollywood has took the "Fuck it why try it will make money off the name" attitude with remakes, it makes Conan the Destroyer watchable. Shame, Momoa could of been a good Conan, he's as physically imposing as Arnie in his youth.

Nice find on beardless Arnie ending, I don't think they put that on the alternate ending version where the princess goes with him to kill Thulsa Doom, I'll have to look. 

It looks like there doing the same with the new Point Break re-make that looks really bad judging by the trailer.

13 hours ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Agreed on Bullet To the Head. He makes a great villain. From what little I know of the cinematic Aquaman, it seems to me they're using my favorite version of Aquaman (the "edgy" 90s bad ass) as the basis for Momoa's take while allowing some of Jason's heritage to influence the character.  Works for me. 

@Tosh true. If they'd put some real thought into the stories rather than making it entirely spectacle, I'd give more current remakes a look. 

Momoa was also good as Khal Drogo in Game Of Thrones.

Secret Executioner
5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It looks like there doing the same with the new Point Break re-make that looks really bad judging by the trailer.

From the advertising, it looks like a very stupid movie relaying solely on spectacular stuff. That and a remark on the French billboard ads comparing this to the Fast & Furious movies really made me reconsider wanting to see it...

Sorry for the off-topic, let's go back to Conan now.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
9 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

What little I've seen, I agree 100%. I think he'd make an interesting villain for Conan too. 

14 minutes ago, Secret Executioner said:

From the advertising, it looks like a very stupid movie relaying solely on spectacular stuff. That and a remark on the French billboard ads comparing this to the Fast & Furious movies really made me reconsider wanting to see it...

Sorry for the off-topic, let's go back to Conan now.

Its ok dude I kinda got off topic bringing Point Break into the conversation.

52 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

What little I've seen, I agree 100%. I think he'd make an interesting villain for Conan too. 

He would make a good foe for Conan in the new film LJSY. Looking at the IMDB page for this new project its still going under the title Legend Of Conan. It would be nice to see a new story but its still early days.

23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

He was also good as the villain in David Hayter's directorial debut, Wolves. He actually looked menacing in werewolf mode and the cool thing was, it was no BS CGI. The CGI was only used for the transformation itself, but the cast actually sported practical make up when they were werewolves and Momoa looked insane. 

As for Conan, it would be interesting to see Momoa play the villain opposite Arnie.

Archived