Ninja Scroll [Blu-ray]

daisho2004

Ninja Scroll [blu-ray] (1993)

This Movie is finally get a Blu-Ray release:

List Price: $24.98

Price: $19.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

Deal Price:

You Save: $4.99 (20%)

Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on December 4, 2012.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you guys prefer the cropped version?

The cropped or the widescreen version has more of a cinematic flair to it. Hard to explain but it feels great watching it in the so called widescreen.

The cropped or the widescreen version has more of a cinematic flair to it. Hard to explain but it feels great watching it in the so called widescreen.

It's a pretty safe bet that whatever display or player you run has settings with which things may be cropped. Same goes for noise reduction, sharpening, etc.

The widescreen version of Ninja Scroll is just plain wrong. :laluot_08:

Original Aspect Ratio or Death!!! :laluot_26:

I'll take death over having to watch a full-screen Ninja Scroll again after seeing it in widescreen. Just make it a quick kill.

I'll take death over having to watch a full-screen Ninja Scroll again after seeing it in widescreen. Just make it a quick kill.

You do realize that you are missing part of the film when you watch the widescreen version, right? They have to crop the picture on the top and bottom to fit it into a widescreen aspect ratio. Here are some examples:

Original Aspect Ratio:

uk-1-00.12.47.jpg

Widescreen version:

uk-2-00.12.48.jpg

Screencaps from DVD Beaver

I prefer to watch films as they were originally intended to be seen by the director and artists who created it.

Comparison via caps-a-holic:

=962&avail[]=961&submit=UPDATE&vergleichID=389&select=1]http://caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.php?avail[]=962&avail[]=961&submit=UPDATE&vergleichID=389&select=1

I understand if you want your entire display utilized regardless of everything, but like I said, you can do that with your player, display, whatever. It's only proper that they put this out in OAR.

Comparison via caps-a-holic:

=962&avail[]=961&submit=UPDATE&vergleichID=389&select=1]http://caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.php?avail[]=962&avail[]=961&submit=UPDATE&vergleichID=389&select=1

I understand if you want your entire display utilized regardless of everything, but like I said, you can do that with your player, display, whatever. It's only proper that they put this out in OAR.

It is possible that widescreen transfers reveal a bit of information at the sides that wasn't visible originally (the Dragonball Z widescreen remasters for example) but I agree. It's only right that they at least made the OAR available.

I don't mind the full screen when you seen both comparisons just now, but I do hate when its full screen and the sides have the black bars!

It is possible that widescreen transfers reveal a bit of information at the sides that wasn't visible originally (the Dragonball Z widescreen remasters for example) but I agree. It's only right that they at least made the OAR available.

Different framing =/= different aspect ratio. If you take a look at a film like The Killer and the various iterations it has, they're basically all 1:85:1, but there is a wide array of framings available. If the framing is off a la the Hong Kong Legends disc, it makes a difference.

You do realize that you are missing part of the film when you watch the widescreen version, right? They have to crop the picture on the top and bottom to fit it into a widescreen aspect ratio. Here are some examples:

Original Aspect Ratio:

uk-1-00.12.47.jpg

Widescreen version:

uk-2-00.12.48.jpg

Screencaps from DVD Beaver

I prefer to watch films as they were originally intended to be seen by the director and artists who created it.

Even knowing this I prefer the cropped version. I really enjoy those black bars on the top and bottom. As long as the OAR is on the disc, everyone can be pleased.

Archived