Secret Rivals question...

Drunken Monk

Ok, firstly, I have to confess that I have seen neither "Secret Rivals" or its sequel. I do own both but have not yet given them a watch.

I was viewing the trailers for both tonight and they made me wonder whether fans of the genre label these films as bashers or not. Are they considered bashers or are they in a weird limbo category of their own as it doesn't seem like there is a lot of traditional shapes work involved in the choreography.

What's the best comparison piece, style wise? "Invincible Armour," maybe? Anyway, just a throwaway question really, but I'm interested to know.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Not basher at all, but maybe not totally shapes either. The style is similar to Invincible Armour and Hot, Cool and Vicious. Kicking is the order of the day here. I don't really think you can label it, or at least it doesn't really have a label that I know of. If was this in-between style that probably started with the mid 70's Bruce Leung and Tan Tao Liang flicks, and carried on by guys like Hwang Jang Lee and John Liu.

The Silver Fox

Secret Rivals 2 has some very impressive,intricate fighting and weapons work. I like when the baddies are sparring towards the beginning, some awesome stuff . Secret Rivals is a little more raw and slow but the 2 on 1 end fight is great,SR 1 is an important classic of the genre-I think it is actually the movie, along with Invincible Armour, that brought kung fu movies into the modern age.

Yang Wu Liang

I was under the impression Secret Rivals is generally accepted as the first shapes film proper, it was certainly a trend setter anyway.

Yang Wu Liang

Plenty of films had shapes in them Heroes Two, Men From the Monastry, Shaolin Martial Arts, Five Shaolin Master etc, I wouldn't really call them shapes films though.

Secret Rivals set the template for the later 70's shapes boom though imo. :bigsmile:

Cheers fellas. I wasn't sure how this film would be defined and I'm planning on watching them both pretty soon. The trailers make them look like a more intricate basher and while I'm not biggest fan of bashers in general, coupled with the fact I heavily dislike John Liu, I was worried I wouldn't like these films.

But hey, it's Hwang Jang Lee so how bad can it be, right?

Cheers fellas. I wasn't sure how this film would be defined and I'm planning on watching them both pretty soon. The trailers make them look like a more intricate basher and while I'm not biggest fan of bashers in general, coupled with the fact I heavily dislike John Liu, I was worried I wouldn't like these films.

But hey, it's Hwang Jang Lee so how bad can it be, right?

Eh, I'd be careful. I thought the first SR was boring as hell. The second one was better, but it's no favorite either.

Morgoth Bauglir

Secret RIvals is worth watching just to see Hwang Jang Lee. EVen if he didn't fight have any fight scenes I wouldn't be mad. The way he walks and talks, you can't just teach someone how to act as confident as he is in this movie.

I'm not a fan of part 2. The best scene is the intro where they show highlights from the last movie.

Part 3 is my fav. Very shapey fights and great comedy.

Archived