Chinese Zodiac: CZ12 (Formerly 'Armour of God 3') (2012)

kingofkungfu2002

Based on what I've seen from Chinese Zodiac in terms of non-action content it isn't any different from most of his recent movies. The aim and approach is basically the same: PG-13 or family-friendly movies. I honestly don't care much these days because other martial arts actors are the ones holding the flag and giving me what I want to see. At the same time, after seeing the action (particularly the finale) I'm beginning to have a bit of hope back and pray that Chan will choose better scripts and film crews for action scenes of that caliber in the future because I know he's capable of doing better movies.

I can understand some people's frustrations concerning Chan's recent career choices and I can share the same sentiments. But at the same time I will never go my way to complain too much about certain people for the sake of their own needs and desires in life, as long as they have a good balance trying out new things and going back to their roots. I mean, what's the big fuss about people wanting to take time doing other things? People change all the time, and in time so does individual and social preferences.

Son Of A Gun
Who's YA'LL? I don't see many on here that had high (or any) hopes for this film. And even so, hoping a film could be good, is not the same as thinking it will be.

Just all the people posting trailers and discussing it, all excited over the past year. I can't remember names. 'lol :tongue:

(by Drunken Monk) Say what you will but "New Police Story" is a solid film and "Little Big Soldier" was well received.

I liked ''New Police Story'' too, but least of all for the action. Noticed too many wires being used as usual. If they can use wires without me noticing it, then fair enough. They used to use wires in the 80s too, but it was harder to notice when.

shaolintemple

I rarely post here but I feel the need to defend this film. It's great, I also can't wait to see it at the cinema. Its premium Jackie when it matters the most. Some sick sick stuntwork and I was in awe when JC started pulling out some crazy leg scissor takedowns. Yeah, its no shawshank redemption, but neither was rumble in the bronx or mr nice guy and this is easily better than nice guy. I have to agree about the trailers, they suck compared to the final product.

Son Of A Gun
.. this is easily better than nice guy.

Still not saying much though, is it? :wink:

I will watch it though. Thanks for the review.

Son Of A Gun

I just watched them. It's the usual stuff. Plus, modern sound effects (which I really don't like). Wish they'd dub the movies the way they used to. Those scenes sound so raw, like it's unfinished. Add some Pedicab Driver style soundFX to it. :bigsmile:

Drunken Monk
I just watched them. It's the usual stuff. Plus, modern sound effects (which I really don't like). Wish they'd dub the movies the way they used to. Those scenes sound so raw, like it's unfinished. Add some Pedicab Driver style soundFX to it. :bigsmile:

The clips are a bit tinny so the "whoosh!" noises sound pretty awkward. Otherwise, I actually don't mind the sound effects at all. I'll wait until I see a proper version of it to decide though.

It's weird because I know a few people turned off by the sound effects found in kung fu cinema. Some people won't even sit through a 70's/80's classic because of how the punches and kicks sound.

Me? I love that stuff. I don't see how people can allow such a small thing to ruin a film for them.

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, those 2 clips are making me come around to this a little more now. Still seeing a lot of wire-assisted stuff but it looks a lot better than most I've seen over the last few years. Just hope these aren't the best the film has to offer.

TheGrimReaper

Those scenes has been taken from a CAM release of the film with Russian dub, no wonder it sounds odd. It has surfaced on some torrent trackers wit hthe same quality, but I won't go near them as I don't want to watch it with disfunctional sound and cheap home made videocassette resolution :)

Cheers

Although I am only halfway thru this flik coz I'm watching it at work, thank the internet coz I aint paying to see it AND being paid while I watch it, half decent letterbox print too to make it even sweeter, but I am surprised that I am enjoying it so much

- apart from that dire French "actress" "OH my Great Grandfather" (definitely a best actress Oscar coming for her...NOT) -

I did cheat (coz I read what The Stunt People said about it) and checked the endfight, and that's without a doubt the best pub handwork Chan has done since Thunderbolt, like the leg takedowns (some wired up though) too, the cat-fight is pretty nice too, both girls doing decent bootwork

Nice to see Chan doing something halfway decent....for MANY MANY years!!

Just watched it all the way upto the final fight and had to turn it off.. far too good a film to spoil watching it through a video camera... poor copy cant wait till the blu ray is released

maybe even a cinema release as my kids would love it

high hopes for the end fight now after being thrilled and amused with the main bulk of the film... Good to see JC back on form

The film will be coming out in a limited theatrical release in the U.S. either this Spring or Summer.

Watched the whole movie now, and I thoroughly enjoyed it,

Love that fight with the gwai-lo around the sofas just before the full kick off, thanks JC for delivering a totally enjoyable movie...the best you've made since Drunken 2

cooksandkungfoodle

been a jackie chan fan since 1987 and to this day still follow his every move so had high expectations fo rchinese zodiac..

Watched chinese zodiac last night and it was great,best film he's made for a long time..Wasnt fussed on the french actress and some of the Cgi effects but apart from this great movie with some great stuntwork in...Hated spy next door,tuxedo,myth,medallion 4 of the worst films hes ever made..this film made up for it..

End fight was great,jackie still has it

where is everybody watching it? If its the cam version then no worries..

I've only found the Cam version. Some people just dont fuss over quality and want to see the film. Cant blame em.

S

SAW it Today, Thoroughly Enjoyable Movie, I think it could've been tighten a little more, 15 mins or so, Jackie has always had it and Definitely brings it on especially at the end, fighting multiple opponents, one on ones, using props, 2 incredible scissor take downs, etc. Using the same "motif" or mode of his previous Armor Of God films, the settings, camera angles, etc, similar. It's so ridiculous to hear ppl comment on a trailer or someone else's negative review to make a Judgement, positive or negative, just like mine. This is my opinion, I am a lifelong Movie and Chan fan. One thing that both Jackie and Sammo for example are able to do is modernize their fighting ,even though they are both late 50s, it is such a treat to see Jackie go at it in a modern setting. Some of the usual silly comedy in the film, but that is typical of a HK and Jackie film, on that level it delivers.

TibetanWhiteCrane

There's nothing ridiculous about voicing your first impressions based on trailers, clips or reviews, it's part of fandom. If we all had to hold our tongue untill the movies was released there would no such thing as hype, and there would be a lot less activity on this forum.

Why the fuck anybody would watch shitty ass cam jobs in 2013 is beyond me. But hey, to each his own.....

Because it takes like 3 years for foreign movies to come out in the US :tongue:. In all seriousness I watch cam versions of movies as a way to save money and because I don't feel like waiting. If I like it I buy it. Simple as that.

the version I saw, for free (love the Net!!!) was a halfway decent letterbox Qual print, didnt look like a Cam-job to me, but even if some guys are watching cam-jobs in this day and age, where's the problem, just proves Chan's unwavering popularity. Saves waiting for ages (especially the UK!!!) for it to be released...(considering it doesnt appear to even HAVE a UK release date yet!!!) ,.

some of my favourite prints in the past were cam-jobs, I will never forget the first print of Kid From Kwangtung I saw 20 odd years ago WOW there's real quality for you...