Executioners From Shaolin question

INCspot

Given how many martial arts movies depict actual people from history and folklore, I'm curious if Hung Hsi-Kuan (Chen Kuan Tai's character in Executioners From Shaolin among them. (Isn't there a character in Heroes Two by that same name?) Was he just created for the movies, or did the name come from history/folklore?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
Given how many martial arts movies depict actual people from history and folklore, I'm curious if Hung Hsi-Kuan (Chen Kuan Tai's character in Executioners From Shaolin among them. (Isn't there a character in Heroes Two by that same name?) Was he just created for the movies, or did the name come from history/folklore?

He comes from folklore if not history.

Chen Kuan Tai plays him in Heroes Two, Men From The Monastary and Executioners From Shaolin, Frankie Wei plays him in Shaolin Temple, Jason Pai Piao in Shaolin Rescuers and Jet Li in New Legend Of Shaolin.

• Administrator
So Hung Hsi-Kuan = Hung Hei-gun?

Yes. I've seen his name spelled at least four different ways. Same with Wong Fei Hung and other famous Chinese characters/people. Usually though, if you read each one out loud, they all sound the same. So it's almost like different interpretations of phonetic spellings.

That's correct. I believe that Hung Hsi-Kuan is an alternate romanisation of the Mandarin transliteration which is usually written as Hong Xiguan. Bob hit the nail on the head.

Hung Hei Gun (Cantonese transliteration) is perhaps the most common reading, especially if you see articles concerning Hung Kuen as an art, and/or its origin legends.

Also Hung Kuen is Hung Gar.

exactly !!! Hung Gar Kuen some shorten it to Hung Gar or even Hung Kuen...all the same,also the many ways of writing it..like Hung Ga Kuen, Hung Gar Kyun ,Hong Jia Quan etc. all the same...

洪 家 拳

Archived