The Drunken Master Dubs Thread

Killer Meteor

gringolimon
On 10/11/2012 at 10:01 AM, sdog2006 said:

Someone put a copy of the old Rank video version on ADC about a year ago. The original dub.

I have it so DM me your address.

I know it's been a while but do you still have a copy of the original dub?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gringolimon said:

I know it's been a while but do you still have a copy of the original dub?

The HKR release is excellent and contains the Rank VHS dub and shitloads of extras. It’s my go-to, although I must say I prefer the later (early ‘80s?) dub myself.

• Like 1

gringolimon
1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

The HKR release is excellent and contains the Rank VHS dub and shitloads of extras. It’s my go-to, although I must say I prefer the later (early ‘80s?) dub myself.

Would you know of anybody who has the original "VHS" dub version?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gringolimon said:

Would you know of anybody who has the original "VHS" dub version?

The HKR release does contain the original VHS dub version 

• Like 1

gringolimon
18 minutes ago, Graysman said:

The HKR release does contain the original VHS dub version 

Do you know what torrent the HKR release is in?

Iron Head Rat
On 4/13/2020 at 1:54 AM, WaverBoy said:

I saw this for the first time early 80's on VHS in the UK & loved the dub. Gutted when I heard the dub on HKL version. Now I find myself questioning which dub I've seen. Characters were defo Freddie,Sam Seed & Thunderfoot.

• Like 3

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but in the intervening years has the Drunken Master with the original dub popped up anywhere? I never did manage to get hold of it and I no longer have any way of playing my well worn VHS!

• Like 5

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anybody here got the Blu Ray from this website? They claim to have the impossible to find original VHS dub, are they a legit company? Has anybody tried it? They have a digital version for half the price.

https://www.hongkongrescue.com/products/5-drunken-master-hkr-definitive-edition-blu-ray?variant=36610019491996

So I bought the digital version, but it turns out to be way more complex than I'm used to. You need to download new programs to download the files. I got a sheet with all the info. If I sent that to somebody more tech minded than I, would they be willing to have a go at downloading it and getting just a simple, easy to view video file with the original English Dub (assuming it's legit of course!)

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2020 at 10:52 AM, Iron Head Rat said:

I saw this for the first time early 80's on VHS in the UK & loved the dub. Gutted when I heard the dub on HKL version. Now I find myself questioning which dub I've seen. Characters were defo Freddie,Sam Seed & Thunderfoot.

Thats the dub on the Made In Hong Kong VHS, for me that’s the best dub. Couldn't believe the HKL dub was different!! 

• Like 2

sifu iron perm

I'm totally confused? 

How many English dubs are there? I recall the rank vhs dub is Freddy and thunder foot etc. 

So eureka didn't include this dub? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

I'm totally confused? 

How many English dubs are there? I recall the rank vhs dub is Freddy and thunder foot etc. 

I believe Eureka said they couldn't track down the copyright or something like that.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

I'm totally confused? 

Sadly not hope 88 films get the rights and release this with the proper original old dub intact and with @KUNG FU BOB's artwork it would be an epic release

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

On 10/17/2012 at 12:22 PM, SamSeed said:

By the way, I don't suppose anyone knows the name of the voice actor who dubbed Yuen Siu-tien? I want to know if he or any of the other voice actors were used for dubbing in any other films, like Dance of the Drunk Mantis, which I haven't seen yet but I will do soon, I hope it's good!

It does sound like the same voice actors were used in both Drunken Master and Dance of the Drunk Mantis. I'm really struggling to tell who dubbed Yuen Siu Tin, but my guess would be Rik Thomas in Drunken Master and Warren Rooke in Dance of the Drunk Mantis. I'm almost certain that the father in Drunken Master was dubbed by Ted Thomas.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:52 AM, Iron Head Rat said:

On 10/22/2021 at 12:18 AM, sifu iron perm said:

The names of the characters are similar in both versions.

In the original English dub it's Freddy (Jackie Chan), Sam Seed (Yuen Siu Tin) and Thunderfoot (Hwang Jang Lee).

In the newer dub it's Freddy (Jackie Chan), So High (Yuen Siu Tin) and Thunderleg (Hwang Jang Lee).

• Like 6

I’ve heard both dubs and prefer the voices on the newer(?) dub to the Rank VHS dub. (How much newer is that dub? It certainly sounds extremely vintage to me!)

• Like 4

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

It does sound like the same voice actors were used in both Drunken Master and Dance of the Drunk Mantis. I'm really struggling to tell who dubbed Yuen Siu Tin, but my guess would be Rik Thomas in Drunken Master and Warren Rooke in Dance of the Drunk Mantis. I'm almost certain that the father in Drunken Master was dubbed by Ted Thomas.

The names of the characters are similar in both versions.

In the original English dub it's Freddy (Jackie Chan), Sam Seed (Yuen Siu Tin) and Thunderfoot (Hwang Jang Lee).

In the newer dub it's Freddy (Jackie Chan), So High (Yuen Siu Tin) and Thunderleg (Hwang Jang Lee).

The English dub from the Rank VHS version is my jam. I love it.

6 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I’ve heard both dubs and prefer the voices on the newer(?) dub to the Rank VHS dub. (How much newer is that dub? It certainly sounds extremely vintage to me!)

Each person's preference often depends on which dub they first experienced the film with. When you see DRUNKEN MASTER (or any classic kung fu) for the first time you are getting your mind blown, so whichever dub you are hearing becomes a part of that excitement for you.

I'm guessing, but it seems likely that the two English dubs were both produced around the same time the film was being released internationally, so yeah, they're both "vintage". I haven't listened to that other dub in what seems like forever, but there's also a chance that Columbia/Tristar produced a new dub for it's DVD release.

I don't know if 88 Films will get a chance to work their magic on this film, but if they do... :bigsmile:

• Like 6

5 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Look what I have here;eureka, hkr and mih vhs.. 

I forgot I owned the hkr. 

IMG_20211023_191002.jpg

The amount of times I watched that MIHK VHS. I will track down that dub and burn it to a DVD one day. Even if I have to get another copy of that VHS and figure out how to pull the audio or something, unless somebody here has already done that!

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 5/4/2008 at 12:08 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Does anyone recall hearing the second dub anytime prior to its appearence on the HKL DVD (and later the Columbia)

It sounds fairly old, and some of the voices recall the old Project A dub. But on the other hand, Charlie Wei (Yuen Shun-yi) appears to be dubbed by Burt Kuwork!

I've been looking (and listening) into it, and it seems to me that the group/team that did the old Project A dub, probably did the 2nd dub for Drunken Master as well. That actually includes Burt Kwouk, it sounds to me like he dubbed the voice for Kwan Hoi San (as Captain Chi) in Project A.

According to this https://men-behind-the-dubs.fandom.com/wiki/Jackie_Chan:

2067959599_Screenshot2023-01-30at21-53-31JackieChan.png.5ca8daca26b5a918732683a61e036316.png

Daniel Flynn often dubbed Jackie Chan. He must have been with that Project A group. Now Daniel Flynn seems to have started acting in 1983 (aged around 21 or 22) and Police Story 3 seems to be the last Jackie Chan movie he dubbed somewhere around 1992-1995? So maybe The 2nd Drunken Master was done sometime around 1983-1995?

On the MIA/Imperial VHS of Police Story 3: Super Cop, I think it said something like English dialogue recorded by Cine Media in London, England.

Because those Jackie Chan movie with Daniel Flynn dubs seem to have been done in the UK it makes me wonder if there's missing dubs recorded in HK for the likes of Project A? After all that was the usual practice before export.

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 4