The Drunken Master Dubs Thread

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

Does anyone recall hearing the second dub anytime prior to its appearence on the HKL DVD (and later the Columbia)

It sounds fairly old, and some of the voices recall the old Project A dub. But on the other hand, Charlie Wei (Yuen Shun-yi) appears to be dubbed by Burt Kuwork!

• Like 2

The HKL re-master contains an alternative English dub track to the classic one that was on the Made In Hong Kong VHS release

Which English dub does the columbia DVD release contain?

Thanks

I don't think there is. The fullscreen Rank VHS also had the original English dub.

OK- I recall a thread on the previous forum about this and it seemed a release with that dub was imminent -maybe this never happened..

It's a pity HKL didn't include that dub because its a classic!

Killer Meteor
OK- I recall a thread on the previous forum about this and it seemed a release with that dub was imminent -maybe this never happened..

It's a pity HKL didn't include that dub because its a classic!

Unless you can read or don't mind forced French subs, all the DVDs of this classic legendary film are seriously lacking

• Administrator

Doesn't the Front Row DVD release of this have the classic dub? It's a poor picture, but I think it might be partially letterboxed too. I'll have to check.

Besides the MIHK the original Rank VHS release of the movie had the same dub as the MIHK and was a nice widescreen print too.

There are a couple of fan-made DVD projects out there which use the remastered print of the movie along with the classic English dub track.

Killer Meteor

This is about the dub heard on the Hong Kong Legends and Columbia discs

How old is it? Unlike the alternate dubs on some of the Golden Harvest films, this sounds like a fairly old recording, and noticeably one of the dubbers, the one dubbing Charlie Wei in the opening scene, sounds exactly like Burt Kwork. I suspect it may be a re-dub for US markets ala Big Boss. Did anyone ever hear this dub prior to the HKL DVD in 2000?

I love the original English dub of Drunken Master, when Simon Yuen is 'Sam Seed', Jackie Chan is 'Freddie' and Hwang Jang Lee is 'Thunderfoot'. However, as far as I am aware it is not avaliable on DVD in the UK. Apart from VHS, does anyone know where I could get hold of it (apart from torrents etc)?

• Like 2

There is a cheapo DVD that I believe was put out by Front Row that is sourced from a pal VHS. I have it and though the picture sucks, I love that dub!

• Like 2

I have the Front Row DVD to, its definately a cheaply made DVD. But its the only one around with the original dub so its really worth it. And for me, I dont really mind the poor picture quality on most older Jackie flicks because im used to watch them from VHS, so the grainy pictures sometimes makes it more nostalgic for me. Theres some charm to it, but maybe thats just me.

I would also recommend the Sony DVD for a proper release, Not the original dub, but also a good one.

• Like 2

I much prefer the original english dubbing on all kung fu movies. They were often quite badly dubbed but were never boring and were always done with tongue in cheek enthusiasm. Recent redubbing of these movies for dvd's are a load of crap. I'd rather watch the movies subtitled than the boring monotone droning of more recent dubbing artist. Even the old chan videos of city hunter and twin dragons had dubbing that was entertaining as hell. I hated the redubbing of twin dragons in chans own voice and i can only watch the city hunter dvd subtitled now the redubbing has totally ruined the experience for me.

• Like 3

I much prefer the original english dubbing on all kung fu movies. They were often quite badly dubbed but were never boring and were always done with tongue in cheek enthusiasm. Recent redubbing of these movies for dvd's are a load of crap. I'd rather watch the movies subtitled than the boring monotone droning of more recent dubbing artist. Even the old chan videos of city hunter and twin dragons had dubbing that was entertaining as hell. I hated the redubbing of twin dragons in chans own voice and i can only watch the city hunter dvd subtitled now the redubbing has totally ruined the experience for me.

Worse is when they redub the movie giving everyone a thick Chinese accent. Or the guy who sometimes dubs Jackie by trying to sound like him.

• Like 1

Worse is when they redub the movie giving everyone a thick Chinese accent. Or the guy who sometimes dubs Jackie by trying to sound like him.

Indeed!..............

Killer Meteor

I think the later Drunken Master dub sounds old enough to date from the early 80s. It was not unheard of for kung fu films to be redubbed for US release - see Fists Of Fury, Fearless Fighters, Exit The Dragon Enter The Tiger, Bruce Lee The Man The Myth and Snake Fist Fighter.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Man, I feel the same way. Despite having that sweet looking 16x9 DVD release from Columbia/TriStar, I would watch the shitty looking Front Row to hear the custom dub. A friend of mine is responsible for that kick ass custom version on ADC and I salute him for a job well done- a service to all JC fans worldwide! Without question, that is the best version of the film (in every way) available.

• Like 3

Man, I feel the same way. Despite having that sweet looking 16x9 DVD release from Columbia/TriStar, I would watch the shitty looking Front Row to hear the custom dub. A friend of mine is responsible for that kick ass custom version on ADC and I salute him for a job well done- a service to all JC fans worldwide! Without question, that is the best version of the film (in every way) available.

If that's the version I'm thinking of, the dub is great on it but I found the subtitles on it went out of sync after a while. I have to check my copy to be sure.

• Like 1

By the way, I don't suppose anyone knows the name of the voice actor who dubbed Yuen Siu-tien? I want to know if he or any of the other voice actors were used for dubbing in any other films, like Dance of the Drunk Mantis, which I haven't seen yet but I will do soon, I hope it's good!

• Like 1