Police Story 3 (1992) question

Drunken Monk

Oh that's interesting....is the HK Blu Ray recommendable?

Wish I could tell you. 'lol I don't have it yet, but I know these out-takes are from it.

I highly expect it to be an up-scale of the IVL dvd print. So getting it for the out-takes would be the main reason to.

Cognoscente
On 10/10/2012 at 5:21 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I love "Police Story 3" but it does disappoint me on the martial arts action front.

Same here. I think I would have been less disappointed had it been the exact same movie but with Michael Dudikoff and Sybil Danning. When you're watching a movie starring Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh, you're expecting a certain level of martial artistry.

• Like 2

I agree with a lot of people on this,the movie has plenty of impressive action but martial arts wise we could have had more.I think it would have been great if Michelle and Jackie would have had a full on fight scene against multiple opponents in a room full of furniture,now that would have been great but I think this was at a time when Jackie was trying to movie away from a fight fest kinda movie.

• Like 3

Rubber John

I've never understood the "Westerners not wanting a big baddie / end fight" thing.
From where did they get that assumption?

Successful movies such as The Karate Kid franchise, the Rocky franchise, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Predator, the Terminator franchise, superhero movies etc. are examples where the entire film is a setup for exactly that type of finale; and Westerners love it.

I think it was just bad decision making by movie producers.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

It's a depressing sign that even City Hunter delivered more on the martial arts front.

For me there was more in City Hunter but only just and what they did deliver was the goofy kind and because of that I hated the movie,the Gary Daniels fight in the room is good and the finale with Norton is okay but hated the street fighter stuff and the Game of Death cinema scene was a missed opportunity for some great stuff.I’ve recently rewatched it and although still not to impressed I found it more enjoyable.I guess tastes change over the years.

Edited by sym8
  • Like 2

Cognoscente

I've just been reading the July '96 issue of Impact where Stanley Tong was interviewed. Bey Logan addressed the disappointing HK box office take, to which Tong replied: "I was not very happy with the Hong Kong distribution department. They are only meant to pull a film off the screens if it makes less than HK $290,000 a day. However, when they pulled Police Story 3, we were making HK $380,000 so we should have stayed in the theatres much longer."

• Like 2

Cognoscente

The below pages are from #390 of Milky Way (circa 1991).

1991-hong-kong-movie-magazine-milky_1_33c837398eb48f1de928e693bec0e742.jpg.9ad773fc6df4e07c2cb16c8a77333667.jpg

The below pages are from the July '92 issue (#270) of Cinemart.

cinemart-270-jul-1992-sibelle-hu-joey_1_ea47f3a46541338c98080f3e50accd34.jpg.7d0239a530cc04e9e8680c2a1617e860.jpg

• Like 2