Police Story 3 (1992) question

Drunken Monk

I apologize in advance that this question is so specific and may not give way for any proper discussion.

Is there any reports as to why Jackie strayed away from big fight scenes for this film and, instead, opted to go for more stunts and flat out action pieces?

I suggested to my girlfriend that we watch it as I'm trying to get her into the genre but, in thinking about the film, she may actually like it, but she won't exactly get a hefty dose of martial arts action?

Does anyone else feel that this film lacks Jackie's usual fights? Granted, there's the early one against Sam Wong but it seems to say, "Enjoy this because this is all you're getting!"

So, does anyone have any info on whether an actual decision was made to go bigger and tone down the one-on-one (or more) fight scenes?

Is there any reports as to why Jackie strayed away from big fight scenes for this film and, instead, opted to go for more stunts and flat out action pieces?

Does anyone else feel that this film lacks Jackie's usual fights? Granted, there's the early one against Sam Wong but it seems to say, "Enjoy this because this is all you're getting!"

So, does anyone have any info on whether an actual decision was made to go bigger and tone down the one-on-one (or more) fight scenes?

I may need to go back and check my sources, but I believe Stanley Tong re-wrote most of the original script in order to make it more appealing internationally. Project S, or Supercop 2, supposedly is close to what the original script looked like.

I still love the movie for what it is. Not many fights, but good action.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Never having Jc and Yuen Wah square off in the final reel was a lost opportunity of massive scale in my book. Biggest complaint of that film. The same can be said for Thunderbolt, Rumble, First Strike, Mr. Niceguy.

His 90's output is a mixed bag for sure. I recently got the HK Warner version of DM 2, having really only seen it a couple times before, twice in the early 00's and once in the mid 90's, and to be honest, I found it a tad underwhelming. My memories were definitely rose tinted. It's not bad at all. But I think I would rank Operation Condor, Crime Story and Who Am I? higher in terms of his 90's films.

• Like 1

RUMBLE IN THE BRONX had no endfight because of Jackie's broken ankle...he said it during an interview somewhere....i think the original plan was a big fight with those huge henchmen...

THUNDERBOLT was partially a consequence of the broken ankle too...

The whole Stanley Tong thing makes sense. It's a shame that Westerners are considered people that don't want to see a solid end fight in a film.

I love "Police Story 3" but it does disappoint me on the martial arts action front. With a few additional fights crammed in here and there it would be even better.

RUMBLE IN THE BRONX had no endfight because of Jackie's broken ankle...he said it during an interview somewhere....i think the original plan was a big fight with those huge henchmen...

THUNDERBOLT was partially a consequence of the broken ankle too...

Mr. Nice Guy and First Strike have no big fight at the end either.

"Mr. Nice Guy" has the most, "Where the fuck did that come from?" ending of all of them, I think. It's the cop out to rule all cop outs.

We have Jackie Chan as the good guy with Richard Norton as the bad guy and what do we get? A giant dump truck.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I don't really buy that whole broken ankle thing. I know it broke, and he was somewhat impaired, but I just think he was looking to move away from the hard knocks fight action, and the ankle was a good excuse to transition into the more family friendly style or JC lite as I like to call it.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
"Mr. Nice Guy" has the most, "Where the fuck did that come from?" ending of all of them, I think. It's the cop out to rule all cop outs.

We have Jackie Chan as the good guy with Richard Norton as the bad guy and what do we get? A giant dump truck.

Agreed! I know City Hunter is campy as all get out but the end fight in that between the 2 of them is boss!!!! I actually prefer it to Mr. Nice Guy over all.

• Administrator

I read somewhere that the reason JC hired Yuen Wah was to go back to the big fight finale formula. But that when they started a bit of rehearsing JC found that Yuen Wah ad really let his skills go, and JC felt that he wasn't up to par to do what he had planned. So he and Stanley Tong came up with the hanging from the helicopter bit to replace the fight ending.

So sad. Yuen Wah was out-of-sight in stuff like EASTERN CONDORS. I'd have loved to see JC and Yuen have a huge fight.

I agree with all of you, but one of my biggest disappointments was the POLICE STORY 2 finale....the action at the factory is great, but the fight i was waiting for was Jackie vs the mute guy....but they didn't deliver it....just imagine a 5 minute fightingsequence between the two of them.....a real dream....

I read somewhere that the reason JC hired Yuen Wah was to go back to the big fight finale formula. But that when they started a bit of rehearsing JC found that Yuen Wah ad really let his skills go, and JC felt that he wasn't up to par to do what he had planned. So he and Stanley Tong came up with the hanging from the helicopter bit to replace the fight ending.

So sad. Yuen Wah was out-of-sight in stuff like EASTERN CONDORS. I'd have loved to see JC and Yuen have a huge fight.

Just a thought, could Yuen Wah have been a replacement for Philip Kwok? I remember Philip Kwok saying in an interview that he originally was choreographing the film (presumably along with Jackie and his stunt team), and that he and Jackie had some great fight scenes against each other. Apparently then he and Jackie didn't see eye to eye and he left or was let go.

Assuming the story was the same when he was involved I could have easily seen him playing Yuen Wah's role.

Just a thought, could Yuen Wah have been a replacement for Philip Kwok? I remember Philip Kwok saying in an interview that he originally was choreographing the film (presumably along with Jackie and his stunt team), and that he and Jackie had some great fight scenes against each other. Apparently then he and Jackie didn't see eye to eye and he left or was let go.

Assuming the story was the same when he was involved I could have easily seen him playing Yuen Wah's role.

Wow, I would have loved to have seen that version of "Police Story 3."

The interview was in Eastern Heroes magazine, and Kwok said he walked off the picture due to not seeing eye to eye with Stanley Tong. That he wasn't using an of the great footage Kwok was getting him.

Jackie vs. Philip Kwok? Ah, fuck me, that would have been grand! I'm gonna be thinking about the possibilities all day.

Killer Meteor

Isn't Jackie reputed to keep his stuntment underwraps - once they get a good show, they are pushed way back in the ranks, such as Ken Lo.

That is really hard to believe given Yuen Wah's reputation and obvious high skills. He grew up with Jackie and there wouldn't be many other actors better suited to fighting Jackie than him. It may very well be true, but it surprises me and would ruin the high regard i have for Yuen wah for being an amazing on screen martial artist. Yuen Wah at the end of Bury me high squaring off against chin kar lok is as good as you can get. And wow, what about when he and Yuen Biao fought at the end of the iceman cometh - the 2 yuens both at the top of their game pulling off feats of martial arts that even Jackie couldn't pull off. We all know how gifted Yuen Biao is, Yuen Wah was perfect for fighting Biao(who also grew up together) - I really hope what you read wasn't true. But perhaps it was.

My question is as to whether there is a vault somewhere featuring at least a smidgen of test footage of Kwok and Jackie going toe to toe!

The best fight in this movie (and I'm sure you would all agree) is when Chan has the sparring match against the mainland soldier trainer - Awesome. Also a great action scene is when Chan, Wah and Yeoh were at the drug dealer compound with spectacular gunfights and explosions. But the rest of the movie just didn't deliver on the martial arts action, I agree.

That is really hard to believe given Yuen Wah's reputation and obvious high skills. He grew up with Jackie and there wouldn't be many other actors better suited to fighting Jackie than him. It may very well be true, but it surprises me and would ruin the high regard i have for Yuen wah for being an amazing on screen martial artist. Yuen Wah at the end of Bury me high squaring off against chin kar lok is as good as you can get. And wow, what about when he and Yuen Biao fought at the end of the iceman cometh - the 2 yuens both at the top of their game pulling off feats of martial arts that even Jackie couldn't pull off. We all know how gifted Yuen Biao is, Yuen Wah was perfect for fighting Biao(who also grew up together) - I really hope what you read wasn't true. But perhaps it was.

I agree.... that makes so little sense. Yuen Wah was a MACHINE throughout the 80's/90's. You aren't that prolific if your skills are under par (or dropping hard as insinuated).

My question is as to whether there is a vault somewhere featuring at least a smidgen of test footage of Kwok and Jackie going toe to toe!

That would indeed be HUGE...especially as I love both of them on their own, a collaboration would be EPIC.

• Administrator
That is really hard to believe given Yuen Wah's reputation and obvious high skills. He grew up with Jackie and there wouldn't be many other actors better suited to fighting Jackie than him. It may very well be true, but it surprises me and would ruin the high regard i have for Yuen wah for being an amazing on screen martial artist. I really hope what you read wasn't true. But perhaps it was.

Perhaps he was injured, or just not willing to get wrecked filming an epic fight at that time. Those 15 minute movie fight scenes take a lot out of a person no matter how good a shape they're in. Collin Chou said that he almost quit making action films after fighting Donnie Yen at the end of FLASHPOINT.

Oh man... I would love to see that! Somebody ask Bey Logan. :nerd:

The interview was in Eastern Heroes magazine, and Kwok said he walked off the picture due to not seeing eye to eye with Stanley Tong. That he wasn't using an of the great footage Kwok was getting him.

That sounds right, thanks.