Protector and Crime Story coming to Blu Ray

Killer Meteor

I paid just over £12 for it and blank 50gb discs are almost £10, so I am too bothered about it!

I think these older films just don't sell well enough for them to be fully remastered, let's say they fully remastered these films, do you guys think they would sell more copies? I don't think so! and I bet they would charge crazy prices too! We have to be realistic guys, these titles are never going to get Hollywood treatment!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

Yeah, I can understand FS being too cheap to do new remasters - these HD masters date back to 2002. If they did a regular dvd and made sure the mono track was genuine and in sync, and the subtitles proper English, that would be fine,

I paid just over £12 for it and blank 50gb discs are almost £10, so I am too bothered about it!

I think these older films just don't sell well enough for them to be fully remastered, let's say they fully remastered these films, do you guys think they would sell more copies? I don't think so! and I bet they would charge crazy prices too! We have to be realistic guys, these titles are never going to get Hollywood treatment!

I disagree. Jackie Chan is still one of the most popular action stars in the world, his older films are loved by many. Its all down to money. Small labels such as Blu Undergroud in the USA and UK labels such as Arrow spend time and money on there cult releases,they even supervised there own brand new transfer of Zombie Flesh Eaters. Titles such as the Dario Argento horror films are all remastered in HD with loads of extras and most sell well and these are niche releases.

I would not mind paying a higher price for these older Jackie titles IF they were done properly in real HD, not just being fobbed off with upconverted discs which are not much better thaN a normal DVD..

i mean really if films like... Cannibal holocaust can get blu ray releases... My god nearly the entire Jean Rollin library is being released on beautiful bluray.. i can not imagine that the best selling Rollin movie would match the lowest selling jackie movie...

If they took the time to make great releases they would sell many more titles.

I disagree. Jackie Chan is still one of the most popular action stars in the world, his older films are loved by many. Its all down to money. Small labels such as Blu Undergroud in the USA and UK labels such as Arrow spend time and money on there cult releases,they even supervised there own brand new transfer of Zombie Flesh Eaters. Titles such as the Dario Argento horror films are all remastered in HD with loads of extras and most sell well and these are niche releases.

I would not mind paying a higher price for these older Jackie titles IF they were done properly in real HD, not just being fobbed off with upconverted discs which are not much better thaN a normal DVD..

Firstly I agree with you! I was just saying that it must cost loads to remaster these films. Look what Hong Kong Legends did to the Bruce Lee (and all the other HK titles), these titles never looked so good! and look where the company is now!

I received my copy today, and the Protector looked worse than I expected, very soft and lacked any detail!!

I too would gladly pay more for decent releases of these films but it looks like no companies anytime soon are going to go the extra mile with them!!

Just received my Crime Story/Protector Blu Ray and i am not disappointed by Crime Story's picturequality...It's far from being a stunner, but having read all the negativ reviews i was expecting the worst...I think The Protector's (US cut) picturequality is slightly inferior to the japanese Blu Ray, but the HK cut (being in unpolished SD) looks quite acceptable to me...Sadly it does not contain outtakes during the endcredits....The asian versions on the japanese Blu Ray are composites of different sources, that's why i prefer Shout Factory's print....nevertheless i have to mention, that the japanese Blu Ray offers the outtakes...collecting HK films is really a science...

Just received my Crime Story/Protector Blu Ray and i am not disappointed by Crime Story's picturequality...It's far from being a stunner, but having read all the negativ reviews i was expecting the worst...I think The Protector's (US cut) picturequality is slightly inferior to the japanese Blu Ray, but the HK cut (being in unpolished SD) looks quite acceptable to me...Sadly it does not contain outtakes during the endcredits....The asian versions on the japanese Blu Ray are composites of different sources, that's why i prefer Shout Factory's print....nevertheless i have to mention, that the japanese Blu Ray offers the outtakes...collecting HK films is really a science...

For the money the Shout Factory release is good value, considering you get 2 films!!

I have the Japanese Blu-ray and I must say it is the better package, mainly because you get the Japanese cut which includes the outtakes! In terms of picture quality (main cut) between the both editions, I didn't really notice any difference!

I am thinking of going for Armour of God/Armour of God 2 next (Japanese Blu-rays). Do you have these?

I got the Hong Kong Blu Ray of Armour of God 2, which is quite good i think (despite some stupid new foleybullsh*t).

My only japanese Blu Rays are First Mission and The Protector.

I will probably order the japanese Blu Ray of Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars, because of the outtakes at the end...

For the money the Shout Factory release is good value, considering you get 2 films!!

I have the Japanese Blu-ray and I must say it is the better package, mainly because you get the Japanese cut which includes the outtakes! In terms of picture quality (main cut) between the both editions, I didn't really notice any difference!

I am thinking of going for Armour of God/Armour of God 2 next (Japanese Blu-rays). Do you have these?

Are they both only japanese subbed though?

Archived