Protector and Crime Story coming to Blu Ray

Killer Meteor

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/58398/jackie-chan-crime-story-the-protector/

Looks like I'll be spending my dollar$ on something else...

Thanks for the link!

So another upscale release!, when will these HK movies get decent HD treatment!! :(

On a plus side though at least we get some decent special features for The Protector!

Yeah, definitely be buying this one, and can't wait for their Police Story double feature...

Just pre-ordered Police Story/Police Story 2 from Amazon.com, just over $20 delivered to the UK! :)

Shame about the poor artwork on the sleeves though!!

Guest Markgway
Yeah, definitely be buying this one, and can't wait for their Police Story double feature...

Did you actually read that review? :squigglemouth:

Now i am wondering if its worth it..

I have the HK DBs of PS1 and 2 and Crime story.. I have the Japanese BD of Protector... I want to support Shout so we get a chance at more releases but if they didnt bother to do any work..

I'll be picking up both of these sets. Does anyone know what other Kung Fu movies Shout may have acquired? It would be nice to get a blu ray release for Dreadnaught and other Golden Harvest releases.

Good special features are fine but if the transfer is poor and not proper HD whats the point?.

I will stick with my HK Legends DVDs until someone does them properly.

We can hope that Shout Factory get new HD transfers but its highly unlikely.

Guest Markgway
Good special features are fine but if the transfer is poor and not proper HD whats the point?.

Amen. It amazes me that so many fans seem to place that second to 'extras'. Get the film right then worry about the rest. The IVL DVD of Crime Story is pretty good so I'll stick with that. And if I ever feel the need to own The Protector I'll track down the Warner disc.

Did you actually read that review? :squigglemouth:

Sure did, and as I don't own either of these except for VHS copies, they will be a welcome addition to my collection!

It amazes me that so many fans seem to place that second to 'extras'.

Well, since Jackie's superior HK cut of The Protector IS an extra on this release, yes I do care about the extras more here! :bigsmile:

One thing the DVD Talk review confirmed is that the HK cut is anamorphic widescreen, which you think would be a given, but as "Butterfly Swords" (Butterfly and Sword) proved, this isn't always the case.

I currently don't own any copy of these, so I will be picking up this "horrible, unwatchable" edition. :tongue:

Well, since Jackie's superior HK cut of The Protector IS an extra on this release, yes I do care about the extras more here! :bigsmile:

One thing the DVD Talk review confirmed is that the HK cut is anamorphic widescreen, which you think would be a given, but as "Butterfly Swords" (Butterfly and Sword) proved, this isn't always the case.

I currently don't own any copy of these, so I will be picking up this "horrible, unwatchable" edition. :tongue:

Right, and if these don't sell at all, we can be sure they won't release others. Yeah I get that they're upscales, but they'll surely look better than the versions I own now, and me supporting these releases may get Shout to release more classics

Sure did, and as I don't own either of these except for VHS copies, they will be a welcome addition to my collection!

haha

VHS? yes.. yes you should get them. My vcr stopped working 4 years ago

haha

VHS? yes.. yes you should get them. My vcr stopped working 4 years ago

Yeah, I didn't say I still had a working VCR though, but still have many tapes!

Right, and if these don't sell at all, we can be sure they won't release others. Yeah I get that they're upscales, but they'll surely look better than the versions I own now, and me supporting these releases may get Shout to release more classics

More classics.......upscaled.....:squigglemouth:

I have a blu ray player and HD set up to play HD...not some upscale, i can upscale my existing DVD's and it wont cost me anything

More classics.......upscaled.....:squigglemouth:

I have a blu ray player and HD set up to play HD...not some upscale, i can upscale my existing DVD's and it wont cost me anything

i have to agree. i dont want to encourage companies to just release stuff that I already from from another region. Damnit! do it right or not at all

I mean i have the FS plus and the japanese protector, so i literally have the same thing minus the exclusive "extras"

:crossedlips: Awful artwork.

I will get Shout's Protector/Crime Story Blu Ray soon or later as it will be the best we will ever get with "The Protector", far more better than the Japan release. I will still keep my HKL DVD just for the commentary.

I will get Shout's Protector/Crime Story Blu Ray soon or later as it will be the best we will ever get with "The Protector", far more better than the Japan release. I will still keep my HKL DVD just for the commentary.

thought they were using the same source as the japanese blu?

Archived