Protector and Crime Story coming to Blu Ray

Killer Meteor

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

That's cool. I take it that's the US version of The Protector and not the HK version. It'd be nice if it had both & Crime Story, too.:nerd:

Ah yes, I've been chatting this up in the blu-ray.com forums. I do wonder if Shout Factory just grabbed Fortune Star's "HD" transfers ("HD" code for "upconvert") to use on this double feature. I know Shout Factory is known for pretty decent quality blus, so I would hope someone there would potentially see their upconverts an go "nope, not using these."

Also, Fortune Star's SD transfer of The Protector is already kinda "bleh". It's the US cut, but I've seen screencap comparisons with Warner Brothers US DVD, and the WB transfer has better colors overall. So yeah, if Shout Factory just uses an upconvert of the Fortune Star US cut, it'll look doubly crap.

As I mentioned on the blu-ray.com forum, all we need is to see the back cover and see if the Fortune Star logo pops up anywhere... kinda sad that we have to be wary of the FS logo, as it used to be a positive sign in the DVD days :sad: It seemed like Fortune Star was a sign of relief for DVD from the hit-or-miss Media Asia days, and now maybe we need another company to swoop in and perform proper HD remasterings of these films.

Guest Markgway

All I really need to purchase is genuine HD and original audio (English stereo for The Protector and Cantonese mono for Crime Story). The inclusion of The Protector's Asian cut would be a nice bonus.

Now rumours that it will have the longer HK cut on the Blu ray (not DVD).

http://www.cityonfire.com/jackie-chan-double-feature-crime-story-the-protector-blu-ray-dvd-shout-factory/

Lets hope so.

Well... that's interesting :squigglemouth: I was actually recently talking with a rep from Shout Factory, and he wasn't quite sure what he could confirm. He implied he could reveal more in December. However, I just sent that link his way, and hopefully he can confirm it... and if he doesn't respond at all, then maybe that's an indirect confirmation :tongue: But if it does have the HK cut, it'd be nice if it's not just a rip of the Universe Laser DVD.

Also, he wasn't 100% certain, but they *may* be new transfers and not from Fortune Star... but I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt, and I'm sure he would want everyone to as well.

As I've said before, at this rate, I just want a new company to swoop in and remaster these in HD especially for blu-ray! Not just for really sharp looking DVDs!

Last month Shout/Scream Factory had a booth at NY ComicCon, and I was so psyched up to pick up their new Bluray of They Live that I completely forgot to ask about this Jackie set.

Well, unlike the speedy response from last time, all has been quiet from them... then again, I did ask Saturday night, so they've probably been gone since then and won't be back until tomorrow. Oops.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, they responded... it is indeed going to have the HK cut as a bonus! Now I just bugged them as to what their transfer source was.

Well, unlike the speedy response from last time, all has been quiet from them... then again, I did ask Saturday night, so they've probably been gone since then and won't be back until tomorrow. Oops.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, they responded... it is indeed going to have the HK cut as a bonus! Now I just bugged them as to what their transfer source was.

That's great. Hope there's equally good news about the transfer source.

3 films on one disc (assuming they are on one disc), how would that look on BR?

Here are more details about the upcoming Crime Story and The Protector double feature from shout!

http://www.cityonfire.com/crime-story-the-protector-double-feature-gives-us-a-reason-to-shout/

Special Features for the Blu-ray Edition: For Crime Story: Interview with director Kirk Wong, Deleted scenes and Theatrical Trailers. For The Protector: From New York To Hong Kong – Interview with director James Glickenhaus, Behind-The-Scenes featurette, theatrical trailers and the Jackie Chan Cut of The Protector with additional scenes directed by Chan (In Cantonese with English Subtitles – Standard Definition)

Special Features for the DVD Edition: For Crime Story: Deleted scenes and yheatrical yrailers. For The Protector: From New York To Hong Kong – Interview with director James Glickenhaus and theatrical Trailers.

Here are more details about the upcoming Crime Story and The Protector double feature from shout!

http://www.cityonfire.com/crime-story-the-protector-double-feature-gives-us-a-reason-to-shout/

Special Features for the Blu-ray Edition: For Crime Story: Interview with director Kirk Wong, Deleted scenes and Theatrical Trailers. For The Protector: From New York To Hong Kong – Interview with director James Glickenhaus, Behind-The-Scenes featurette, theatrical trailers and the Jackie Chan Cut of The Protector with additional scenes directed by Chan (In Cantonese with English Subtitles – Standard Definition)

Special Features for the DVD Edition: For Crime Story: Deleted scenes and yheatrical yrailers. For The Protector: From New York To Hong Kong – Interview with director James Glickenhaus and theatrical Trailers.

No Outtakes from Japan!?:squigglemouth: Oh well, Can't have everything, great special features for The Protector:bigsmile:

Will the special features be on the DVD edition? Is Shout Blu-rays region free? Either way - must buy this!

So, this sounds cool. But, does anyone know if this will be the same as DD version for Crime Story? Is it the same print (wasn`t the color a little off for the dvd)? The DD version did include deleted scenes and an interview with the director. I can`t remember if the DD version was edited or not. It still might be worth a purchase since it includes both versions of The Protector.

The Jackie cut of 'The Protector' is already available in anamorphic on the french dvd by Metropolitan. .. If this upcoming release doesn't satisfy. Will need custom subs added though.

:smile:

Guest Markgway

Oh dear!

http://hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/jackiedouble.htm

"Crime Story... Unfortunately, the included English dubbed track is the same one that was included on the Miramax version, and the subtitles follow this track, meaning they are "dubtitles" and sometimes not an accurate translation of the original Cantonese dialogue track, which is available."

"The source materials for this Blu-ray are from the versions previously released by Fortune Star in Asia, which were upconversions, rather than true HD remasters."

Looks like we'll never see proper HD versions of these classics.

Killer Meteor
Oh dear!

http://hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/jackiedouble.htm

"Crime Story... Unfortunately, the included English dubbed track is the same one that was included on the Miramax version, and the subtitles follow this track, meaning they are "dubtitles" and sometimes not an accurate translation of the original Cantonese dialogue track, which is available."

"The source materials for this Blu-ray are from the versions previously released by Fortune Star in Asia, which were upconversions, rather than true HD remasters."

Looks like we'll never see proper HD versions of these classics.

Oh, for crying out loud!

As per a Shout! Factory representative on Blu-ray.com: "We found a master in the UK. We didn't rip it from a disc.

To me it sounds like HKL was to include the HK cut but scraped it:rolleyes:

Note: "Jackie Chan Double Feature" is also available on DVD, but does not include the alternate cut of "The Protector".

Does this mean the DVD version of the Protector will have interview with James Glickenhaus, the featurettes and the trailers?:smile:

EDIT: Here's the full details from Shout: DVD - Blu-ray - it looks like I still have to get the Blu-ray.

But if you can't get the films right... what's the point?

Hearing jackie chan say "Give me the fucking keys!" is worth the price alone! =D

Guest Markgway
Hearing jackie chan say "Give me the fucking keys!" is worth the price alone! =D

Then buy the Warner DVD which at least offers the original stereo track.

Archived