Warner Bros Confirm Enter the Dragon - 40th Anniversary Edition

sdog2006

newgen2005

They only thing that puts me off is the high risk of having forced subtitles on the special features, or even worse the film!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extra goodies don't look like much on u.s. it says photos, sticker and map in envelope. Once anyone as definite confirmation on german version playing in english and special features playing in english without forced german subtitles . i will probably go for that one

as price difference seems quite abit. Unless they come down on price for u.s.a version.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Saw it last night on the big screen and the print looks fucking beautiful bro.. OMG it's like it was shot yesterday.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Saw it last night on the big screen and the print looks fucking beautiful bro.. OMG it's like it was shot yesterday.

Jealous! :tongue:

Did you see it at the Alamo Drafthouse?

OpiumKungFuCracker
Jealous! :tongue:

Did you see it at the Alamo Drafthouse?

Yes, indeed I did.. I wish it was spreading to other theaters and not just the Alamo, give the good folks a chance to see a classic on the big screen in 4k print.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Extra goodies don't look like much on u.s. it says photos, sticker and map in envelope.

The photo, stickers, and map are in the US BD release? Is that correct?

I hadn't heard that. What is the map? Please let it be a map of Han's Island. :nerd: LOL

Yes, I'm on a loooow budget. Yes, I already own many versions of ENTER THE DRAGON. And yes, I am having a hard time convincing myself not to get this latest release which I think has only stuff I already own as extras. But still...! :xd:

Yes, indeed I did.. I wish it was spreading to other theaters and not just the Alamo, give the good folks a chance to see a classic on the big screen in 4k print.

Oh, me too! This is in my top Asian films I wish I could see in a theater, along with THE STREET FIGHTER, RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER, LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA, and HEROES OF THE EAST.

Guest Markgway

Shit like stickers and maps don't interest me at all. I'll probably wait for the cheaper UK release. The upgrade in image will have to be pretty strong to persuade me to pay for a monoless extended cut again.

OldPangYau

I'm hoping Cinemark theaters will play this as part of their Classic Series line that they tend to do every Wednesday. They've played stuff like Alien, Rocky, The Godfather, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if ETD made an appearance, but won't get my hopes up terribly high.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Shit like stickers and maps don't interest me at all.

Well then, you're in luck, because I wasn't going to get it for you, I was going to get it for me. :xd:

I'll probably wait for the cheaper UK release. The upgrade in image will have to be pretty strong to persuade me to pay for a monoless extended cut again.

I hear you though.

So other than the fact that it's the "extended version", people really weren't impressed by the R1 Blu-Ray release? I think the picture quality is fantastic.

I'm hoping Cinemark theaters will play this as part of their Classic Series line that they tend to do every Wednesday. They've played stuff like Alien, Rocky, The Godfather, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if ETD made an appearance, but won't get my hopes up terribly high.

Where are they? Is that just a local chain, or do they have theaters in PA?

Where are they? Is that just a local chain, or do they have theaters in PA?

They're spread out across the US, and it looks like there are a few in PA.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.cinemark.com/cinemark-classic-series

Looks like next week they plan to screen Blazing Saddles, but don't know what they are planning to show beyond that.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hey guys the version I saw in theaters is the one with the monk scene in the beginning. I'm guessing that's not the original theatrical cut that was release in 73?? Either way it was still badass to see Bruce Lee/Jim Kelly/John Saxon/Bolo Yeung/Mr Han kicking ass on the big screen in 4k restoration print no less.

newgen2005
Hey guys the version I saw in theaters is the one with the monk scene in the beginning. I'm guessing that's not the original theatrical cut that was release in 73?? Either way it was still badass to see Bruce Lee/Jim Kelly/John Saxon/Bolo Yeung/Mr Han kicking ass on the big screen in 4k restoration print no less.

I was just about to ask if the restored version was the old cinema cut, I guess not! :sad:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
They're spread out across the US, and it looks like there are a few in PA.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.cinemark.com/cinemark-classic-series

Looks like next week they plan to screen Blazing Saddles, but don't know what they are planning to show beyond that.

Thanks man! I'll keep an eye out for this.

Right, you saw the extended version that first showed up on home video in the nineties. In the original he spoke to the monk, but didn't go into any philosophical stuff. Also, the bit at the end where he hears the monk's voice while fighting Han in the Hall of Mirrors was added.

Personally, I don't mind these scenes, and would jump at the chance to see ENTER THE DRAGON- no matter which version- in a theater.

Guest Markgway
Well then, you're in luck, because I wasn't going to get it for you, I was going to get it for me. :xd:

Oh, so that's how it is, bitch!?!

So other than the fact that it's the "extended version", people really weren't impressed by the R1 Blu-Ray release? I think the picture quality is fantastic.

Nope. The master was an old 1080i upconvert.

Guest Markgway
Right, you saw the extended version that first showed up on home video in the nineties. In the original he spoke to the monk, but didn't go into any philosophical stuff. Also, the bit at the end where he hears the monk's voice while fighting Han in the Hall of Mirrors was added.

Bruce didn't speak to the monk at all in the theatrical cut. Roy Chiao's scene was cut entirely. We skip straight from the fight with Sammo to the meeting with Bwaifwaite. The film was all the better for doing that. Clearly Warners are a law unto themselves and don't care what the fans want. It's ironic they're drumming up all this hoo-ha about something they clearly don't give a shit about.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Oh, so that's how it is, bitch!?!

Yes, I can be quite selfish that way. :wink: Now, if you're nice I may let you look at my stickers when I get them. You're not fooling anybody. I know you want those stickers. :wink:

Nope. The master was an old 1080i upconvert.

To me it definitely looked improved from the DVD's picture quality. Perhaps it was just because I was playing it in my Blu-ray player- isn't that supposed to improve the clarity of all discs? So maybe even the DVD would have looked better played in the Blu-Ray player? Markgway, do you own the R1 BD of ETD? I'm curious- didn't you think it jumped up in picture quality from the DVD?

Bruce didn't speak to the monk at all in the theatrical cut. Roy Chiao's scene was cut entirely. We skip straight from the fight with Sammo to the meeting with Bwaifwaite. The film was all the better for doing that.

Okay, I can picture it now as you say that. My mistake. Hmmm... it was a much leaner film without those bits. But I really enjoyed Bruce's philosophy being shared in the added scenes, and don't mind them. Of course, I always wish the films would be released with both versions available as an option. I thought one of the big technological advantages of BD technology was their ability to include branching? So it would be nice to have the choice.

Clearly Warners are a law unto themselves and don't care what the fans want. It's ironic they're drumming up all this hoo-ha about something they clearly don't give a shit about.

Aren't most film studios like this now? Oh, and it is something that they care about... just not in the same way as you and I care about it. They care about it as a cash cow. And cash is well worth the big hoo-ha for them.

maybe german version might have map photos etc but probably would be in german if the do have them. It should play in english . hopefully someone will find out when its released . link for german version

http://www.amazon.de/Bruce-Lee-Todeskralle-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00BSNVOWQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1368183970&sr=8-4&keywords=bruce+lee+blu-ray

here i s link for what is in pack for u.s vesion unsure what you get with german version. i don't know why they don't release it in u.k at same time.

http://www.cityonfire.com/details-on-the-enter-the-dragon-40th-anniversay-ultimate-collectors-edition-blu-ray/

The photo, stickers, and map are in the US BD release? Is that correct?

I hadn't heard that. What is the map? Please let it be a map of Han's Island. :nerd: LOL

Yes, I'm on a loooow budget. Yes, I already own many versions of ENTER THE DRAGON. And yes, I am having a hard time convincing myself not to get this latest release which I think has only stuff I already own as extras. But still...! :xd:

Oh, me too! This is in my top Asian films I wish I could see in a theater, along with THE STREET FIGHTER, RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER, LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA, and HEROES OF THE EAST.

Guest Markgway
Yes, I can be quite selfish that way. :wink: Now, if you're nice I may let you look at my stickers when I get them. You're not fooling anybody. I know you want those stickers. :wink:

You know me too well... :tongue:

Markgway, do you own the R1 BD of ETD? I'm curious- didn't you think it jumped up in picture quality from the DVD?

Yes and yes... but it wasn't an optimum transfer.

But I really enjoyed Bruce's philosophy being shared in the added scenes, and don't mind them.

It's not that Bruce's philosophies aren't interesting... it's that they don't belong in this movie.

Of course, I always wish the films would be released with both versions available as an option. I thought one of the big technological advantages of BD technology was their ability to include branching? So it would be nice to have the choice.

You would think!

Aren't most film studios like this now? Oh, and it is something that they care about... just not in the same way as you and I care about it. They care about it as a cash cow. And cash is well worth the big hoo-ha for them.

True. Everything is 100% business. 100% cynical. 100% exploit the consumer.

Will there be a disc only version of the 40th anniversary edition available that doesn't include the crappy patches & stuff?

Guest Markgway

Cheaper that the US edition, but likely won't have the bits 'n' pieces.

The German edition is significantly cheaper.

I see they are still releasing the same garbage 40 years later with nothing new.

There are 5+ hours of behind the scenes footage on ETD alone for crying out loud.

Archived