Hapkido (1972)

Guest rederror

One Armed Boxer

A kung-fu fan by the name of Yung Freda recently posted this super-rare promotional video for the movie 'Hapkido'.  Filmed in 1972, it shows Ji Han-hee teaching Hapkido to Angela Wong, Carter Wong, and Sammo Hung, a few months before shooting for the movie would start.  Check it out below - 

12417911_10153865032094282_4370545178493

• Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks for posting that OAB. 

What a great clip. (Winces at how easily folks are getting thrown around.) 

Just watched this movie - solid film. I really enjoyed it. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

masterofoneinchpunch

A review of mine from last year:

Hapkido (1972: Huang Feng: Hong Kong) aka Lady Kung Fu

Originally I wanted to see this movie years ago because Jackie Chan has some background stunt scenes where he gets beat up in at least one of them by “big brother” Sammo Hung.  But after years of watching Hong Kong films I wanted/needed to see more early films from both Golden Harvest and Angela Mao.

The plot is derivative of Fist of Fury (this takes place in 1934) and it will do nothing to further positive relationships with Japan – seriously every Japanese character is an evil slobbering caricature with a few sporting a Hitler I mean Jordan I mean Chaplin mustache.  But the action is quite good.  While I do not see much karate style from the Japanese antagonists, there is plenty of “basher” (free-fighting) moments mixed with hapkido and kung fu fighting styles from athletic and capable Angela Mao, Sammo Hung, Carter Wong (in his first film), hapkido experts Whang In-shik (his first big role) and Ji Han-jae (also his first role though he did only a few films.)

How fun is it to see both Whang In-shik and Ji Han-jae (check out a high kick arm trap he does early in the film) in action.  Superb martial artists who get to showcase the art of hapkido.  Angela Mao is also fun to watch as she is quick, flexible and a solid fighter.  Though since she has shorter limbs it is always important for who she fights with to “sell” her movements (you can find a similar analogy in determining a quality match in professional wrestling) and the choreography is done well here with Sammo Hung as the action director (try to see how many films director Wong Fun has done without either Hung or Mao.)  Sammo is impressive himself though I think his best fighting work was done in the late 70s when his girth seemed to be done at its lowest point (plus the experience of choreography over that decade has helped as well.)

I was a little disappointed with the final fight scene because Black Bear boss (Yamane Teruo) just did not seem as good as everyone else.  But overall I think this is a solid film for martial art fans with plenty of quality action and early appearances from many pertinent martial art stars.

I am glad this came out on a nice R1 release from Shout Factory coupled with Lady Whirlwind.  The print looks good except for a few outside scenes, though that may be the fault of the source.  It comes with a Mandarin and English dub and the English subtitles come out well.

When I ever get to rewatching this I will do a proper review:

Edited by masterofoneinchpunch
  • Like 2

I recently re-watched this movie and I can only repeat what I already said : superb, excellent, wonderful !!...

It seems to me that the story focuses more on Sammo's character than on Angela's one, who only shines after she decides to avenge her brothers' deaths. Am I mistaken ?

Also, maybe i dreamt because it was just a very furtive image, but it seems to me that i spotted Kuo Chue among the villains under Bruce Liang's orders in the market scene. Did someone else also saw him ?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

It seems to me that the story focuses more on Sammo's character than on Angela's one, who only shines after she decides to avenge her brothers' deaths. Am I mistaken ?

Yep, the story did focus more on Sammo's character as he was the one (when verbally abused) fought back and set the motion for the rest of the movie. When enough was enough she then step up and "wipe the floor"......so to speak.

56 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Also, maybe i dreamt because it was just a very furtive image, but it seems to me that i spotted Kuo Chue among the villains under Bruce Liang's orders in the market scene. Did someone else also saw him ?

Don't recall him in there. 

Yuen Biao, Jackie Chan, Corey Yuen & Lam Ching-Ying all made cameos. And if I recall correctly (I haven't watched it recently) Lam Ching-Ying did get a beating from Sammo in the market. 

• Like 5

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
On 4/7/2018 at 7:46 AM, ShawAngela said:

I recently re-watched this movie and I can only repeat what I already said : superb, excellent, wonderful !!...

I would imagine that aspect was the main reason why Angela Mao ultimately starred in The Tournament (1974), considering that flick has more or less the same vibe as Hapkido (avenging a fallen relative and fending off an hostile foreign faction, to name a few). The male lead of that movie, Carter Wong, would also go on to be Sammo's counterpart in The Skyhawk, which was filmed in the same year.

• Like 4

Just saw this for the first time ever. Im pleased to say it was way above expectations. I didnt even know Sammo had a huge role in it, and Jackie Chan (and Yuen Biao?!) having very small roles/being stuntmen. 

• Like 2

I love this film. Hapkido, When Taekwondo Strikes, The Tournament & Broken Oath are the best Angela Mao films.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, edher_M.A. said:

I love this film. Hapkido, When Taekwondo Strikes, The Tournament & Broken Oath are the best Angela Mao films.

I can get behind this statement!

• Like 2

Cognoscente

I actually prefer Hapkido to Fist of Fury. It's less of a slog to sit through.

It would have been nice if Golden Harvest had made another movie about Hapkido where the style of the rival school is Taekwondo instead of Karate.

• Like 2