Hapkido (1972)

Guest rederror

Mantis Fist, why are you supporting bootlegs?

With copies like this around why should DD bother?

The HKL version is very good...

In 2008, you don't have to support panmedia with your cash to obtain one of their dvd's. For those with computer access, bootlegging has become redundant.

I wish bootlegging was redundant!

Red Sun and there ilk have stopped companies from releasing titles because they have flooded the market with there bootlegs, im sure Linn can explain it much better than i can.

Thats why i cant understand websites such as HK Flix supporting them so blatantly, unfortunately people who are not big fans such as us and dont know otherwise, still buy them!:mad:

Yeah its ok. No worries! I agree do not buy the version from hkflix! If your an old school dub head your better off trying to find the dub and doing it yourself as this one was cut to pieces!

Cheers!

How was the Joy Sales When Tae Kwon Do Strikes? I've been interested in ordering but it's been on back order for ages.:(

Well I got my Joy Sales version of When Tae Kwan Do Strikes, and it's worth the wait! Though the film isn't remastered seeing it in original language and in widescreen is just great for me. The action in this film is just beneath that in Hapkido.

Now, if they would just bring another of my favs, The Chase to light...

:nerd:

Going to watch it for the first time on the 12th cos I think that's it 40th Anniversary.

james personaly i never saw it before but hope you enjoy it tho

I'll probably let you know what I think after viewing it.

40th anniversary today or October sometime?

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5346&display_set=eng seems hkmdb say the 12th useless they put December cos sometimes the dates there are written Day/Month/Year & other times Month/Day/Year

Yes, its (12/10/72) or October 12, 1972. When you look at the last date of its initial run (25/10/72), you can see that it has to be October as there is no 25th month of the year.

How well did Hapkido do at the box office? I'm always curious as to how well some of our favorites did money-wise and whether they were considered hits or not.

How well did Hapkido do at the box office? I'm always curious as to how well some of our favorites did money-wise and whether they were considered hits or not.

Not great. HK$873,804 (in 14 days) puts at it #23 for the year. Did better than King Boxer though (ranked #28)

Not great. HK$873,804 (in 14 days) puts at it #23 for the year. Did better than King Boxer though (ranked #28)

Interesting you seem to know the box office ranks for that year? Is it possible you could do a thread on box office records through the years? If you haven't done all ready?

I didnt enjoy it as much as the hype surrounding it, its still pretty good & I guess I was just expecting too much with all the love it gets

• Like 1

same goes for me.... I thought it was better but still not bad for a 1972 movie.... now there is a very nice scene where young Sammo gets beat up...hehe.... that was the highlight for me..... but not a bad movie anyway

• Like 1

I liked Hapkido a lot. I didn´t expect much when I watched it for the first time. The music from Emerson Lake and Palmer at the begining of the movie made me laugh :rofl It´s one of my favorite art rock bands and I didn´t expect their music in such film. But the story was easy to follow - nothing too original - and the action was good for its time. I think after seeing all those super kung fu films with Sammo, Yuen Biao, Jackie, Jet, Donnie...returning to such old stuff of the early 70´s is always difficult for me. I have to say to myself: "ok this is really old film, the acting will be maybe stiff and the action will be slow. Do I really want to watch it?. Yes." And then I can enjoy the film. And Hapkido was the case. I also enjoyed The Tournament and The Skyhawk. Those are similar films and I liked them a lot. But Lady Whirlwind I could not enjoy for some reason.

• Like 1