Hapkido (1972)

Guest rederror

Guest TheManInWhite

"Any non-Angela movies with brutal female fighting scenes like "Hapkido" always make good recommendations, as well."

Here's a few more worthy movies:

Crane Fighter (Chia Ling)

Eight Strikes of the Wild Cat (Chi Dan Dan)

Fourteen Amazons (Ivy Ling Po, Lily Ho, Li Ching, etc. - Shaw Bros.)

Heroes of Shaolin (Lung Chun Erh)

Jade Fox (Lung Chun Erh)

Lady Constables (Angela Mao & Chia Ling in same film!)

Lady Hermit (Cheng Pei Pei, Shih Szu - Shaw Bros.)

The Loot (endfight with Lily Li makes it worth mentioning)

Martial Club (Hui Ying Hung - Shaw Bros.)

No One Can Touch Her (Chia Ling)

One Foot Crane (Lily Li)

Queen Boxer (for great Chia Ling endfight)

The Rescue (Shih Szu - Shaw Bros.)

Shaolin Invincibles (weird movie but good fighting from Chia Ling and Lung Chun Erh)

Treasure Hunters (Yang Ching Ching - Shaw Bros.)

Two Wondrous Tigers (Sharon Yeung Pan Pan as her best, Meng Chui)

Win Them All (Hsu Feng)

Woman Avenger (Hsia Kwan Li, IMO the best female fighting film ever)

Guest DragonMa55

That dojo fight scene is still amazing after 30 years, Angela just decimates everyone.

Queen Boxer's already been mentioned but I still have to say that endfight is brilliant, it's a 20 minute marathon of Judy taking on guys with axes, bare hands and whatever else she can find.

Another good one is 'A Girl Called Tigress' with Polly Shang, she has a terrific fight against Yasuaki Kurata at the end.

Guest Markgway

Here's a list of all the 'old school' (71-85) Kung Fu movies on Fortune Stars' HD Remastered list that will be released by Joy Sales:

Battle Creek Brawl

The Big Boss

Dragon Fist

Dragon Lord

Dreadnaught

Duel To The Death

Enter the Dragon

The Fate Of Lee Khan

Fist of Fury

Game of Death

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu

The Hand Of Death

Hapkido

The Iron Fisted Monk

The Killer Meteors

Last Hurrah For Chivalry

The Magnificent Bodyguards

The Man From Hong Kong

The Miracle Fighters

New Fist of Fury

One-Armed Boxer

The Postman Fights Back

Prodigal Son

The Shaolin Plot

Shaolin Wooden Men

Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin

Spiritual Kung Fu

The Sword

To Kill With Intrigue

Tower of Death

Warriors Two

The Way of the Dragon

The Young Master

Zu

Guest Meiriona

Thank you for all the replies, everyone. :D

As soon as I get my personal list together, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask where I might be able to find some of these...

I'm not very well-versed on which stores to use online, with the exception of HKFlix.

On a side note, I have a curious question one of you guys might be able to help me with...

They're not quite socks, but not quite shoes -- In the umbrella dojo scene in "Hapkido", Angela is wearing them - also, in "My Lucky Stars" the really athletic Japanese villainess is wearing them during her two near-end fights.

Does anyone know what these are technically called?

Thank you!

Kate

Guest kungfusamurai

I recall when ordering those initial Shaw Bros releases by Dragon Dynasty that Hapkido was slated for a fall release. Now I don't see it anywhere. Did they cancel it? I was looking forward to getting my hands on this flick.

KFS

True that, Dave. The HKL DVD is one of the best around, including the original theatrical trailer and featuring the film totally uncut.

I remember when this disc was released last year, I was as excited for it as any of the Lee releases, simply because HKL was releasing it.

If you do not have it, pick it up right away.

A great companion piece to Fist of Fury.

Guest kungfusamurai

Thanks for the info guys. I might just get the HKL disk rather than wait for DD to put out another batch of old school kung fu flicks.

KFS

Yes KFS, you won't be disappointed with the HKL disc. It's equally as good as any of their BL films.

What is really cool is that this film has BOTH the original Mandarin and English

dubs. The color is very good and i like to view the original theatrical trailer.

Now, if they would release When Tae Kwan Do Strikes, i'd be one HAPPY camper. :D

True, however it's a minor problem after seeing that great picture remastered, and I actually prefer the Chinese language after viewing the Eng. dubb all these years...

Guest kungfood

Nowadays I always prefer watching the original Cantonese version of any GH release, because GH almost always re-dubs and redoes the soundtracks into something very different. And for me, that changes the movie substantially from the one I remember.

I thought Hapkido was the most intense performance by Angela Mao in her career. After she was married, she lost that intensity in her later, post-GH films.

I thought Hapkido was the most intense performance by Angela Mao in her career. After she was married, she lost that intensity in her later, post-GH films.

Lol... Yeah, maybe her husband practiced that Hung Leg unlocking style, ala Chen Kuai Tai in Executioners From Shaolin... "Tugg Boat Kung Fu" i think they called it, in the English dubb. Lol!

Guest kungfood

I thought I'd revive this old thread.

No doubt, the dojo fight in Hapkido is the best and most intense I've seen Angela. Queen Boxer, starring Judy Lee (aka, Chia Ling) is different, but in many ways comes very, very close in intensity.

Some "modern" films with great female fighting include:

Iron Angels (the final fight between Moon Lee and Yukari Oshima is awesome).

Iron Angels II.

So Close (The final fight with Zhao Wei and Karen Mok teaming against Yasuaki Kurata is very well-done, esp. for a new (2002) movie.

The Royal Warriors. (Michelle Yeoh).

The Magnificent Warriors (Michelle Yeoh).

Yes, Madam (Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock).

Lady Piranha (the final fight between Cheng Pei-Pei and Peng Kang is brief but intense).

The Outlaw Brothers (Yukari Oshima teams with Frankie Chan. The Final warehouse battle against Mark Houghton, Vincent Lyn and Jeff Falcon is one of the finest. Yukari was probably the best female kicker in modern fight films.

I don't know if some of the following "period" films were already mentioned:

The Crane Fighter (Chia Ling/Judy Lee).

Revenge of the Patriots/The Ming Patriots (co-stars Bruce Li and Chia Ling).

Two Great Cavaliers (Angela Mao co-stars with John Liu and Chen Sing).

The Woman Avenger was already mentioned, and it's one of the best female kung fu fighting films. Hsia Kuang-Li was in only a few films, but was possibly the best female pure kicker in period kf cinema. The leg training and end fight are a sight to behold.

I still haven't been able to see The Himalayan. This is a must-see for me. Are there any plans for a high-quality general release for this?

Guest Dragon Ma

It's really great to see this film with a decent print and sound. I got my HKL version of the film today. I'd forgotten how brutal this film was, both Sammo and Carter end up dying, it's pretty bleak. Thank god for Angela Mao. Even though she kind of cheated against Pai Ying it was still a damn good fight. Angela snapping that board in half with one hand was pure awesome.

The old Eng. dubb on this film was great. The newer one seems to lack a little something. It's great to see it widescreen and remastered though. Right up there with FOF, KingBoxer, and Boxer From Shangtung, IMHO.

:cool:

I just watched this one the other nite. It must have been this version as it had the original english dub.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.541101/qx/details.htm

She was very intense in this movie, Dragon! The english print back in the day must have had lots of cuts as the og dub on the disc was really cut. Back and forth between og dub and new dub.

Tonite Im gonna watch When Tae Kwon Do Strikes! The joy sales release!

Cheers!

The Running Man
I ordered the HKL version of this film, DD have seemingly taken this off the release schedule.

There's no reason to wait for the DD version with the HKL DVD out.

Mantis Fist, why are you supporting bootlegs?

With copies like this around why should DD bother?

The HKL version is very good...