Hapkido (1972)

Guest rederror

Guest rederror

Got hold of this Hong Kong Legengs dvd on the weekend, £7 in HMV which i thought was a bargain even though i hadnt seen the movie. Anyway i thought it was brilliant, very much the same story of Fist of Fury but the fight sequesnces in this movie are very good and there are quite a few. Havent seen much Angela Mao but she seriously can fight thats for sure. Also Samo puts in a good performance as does whang In Sik. great movie!

Guest Monkey King 2000

I also recently watched this for the first time and was very impressed, especially with the fighting for 1972. I also have Broken Oath which I have not got round to watching yet, which other Angela Mao films are worthing picking up, ie DVD's with good prints. I see Crash Masters have done a few of Angela's films. Was not sure whether to buy Battle of Shaolin (The Damned/Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver), saw a bad review of Dance of Death? Was looking to buy When Taekwondo Strikes (sting of the Dragon Master), but I hear the quality of the DVD was bad, also it seems to be out of print and lastly I could not find a copy of The Tournament. Also are these films or any of her other ones on a list to be remastered, are they at the moment remastering all Golden Harvest films? If anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated.

Guest TheManInWhite

There's two problems with Dance of Death that bothers most people:

1) there doesn't seem to be a complete uncut version; some parts also seems to be out of sequence

2) this feature a bit of a lighthearted Angela which most are not accustomed to

I think I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed it, and that uncut version would improve some's opinion of it. She's also very good in Lady Whirlwind although it's actually a Chang Yi film IMO. But when she's on the screen, she kicks azz and take names. Moonlight Sword and Jade Lion is OK for the hardcore Angela Mao fan. A bit too confusing to follow, but she does her thing actionwise. Lady Constables is a must-see just to see Angela and Judy Lee in the same film. Not sure which of these are scheduled to be remastered if at all...

Guest HwangDi

There's an Angela film on HKFlicks I seen that looks interesting, called "Scorching Sun, Fierce Winds, Wild Fire." It's been transferred by Crash. Anyone have more info on that one?

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Scorching Sun is a good little film with a great cast and the Crash print is pretty good too, if you like Angela Mao it is well worth picking up

Guest hkpyanfar

I just watched Scorching Sun and I have to agree that it is a tasty wuxia with some good Anglea Mao scenes. She shows off her acrobatics and MA skills, but there are also many major male characters, so this is not Angela showcase that, say, Dance of Death is. Still, as ironfisted says, for an Angela fan, this is well worth picking up.

Guest Monkey King 2000

Thanks all, I managed to find a triple pack of the below Crash films for $14.95 at HKFlix, which is pretty good value!

Moonlight Sword And Jade Lion

Sting Of The Dragon Master

Dance Of Death

Guest Chen Zhen

yup its a good package...however, that moonlight movie SUCKS...very very boring film with only a couple ok action scenes.

easily worht the price alone for When Tae Kwan Do Strikes/Sting of the Dragon Master

the print is sketchy, to say the least, but i enjoyed that film equally as much as Hapkido

Dance of Death has awesome jackie chan choreographed shapes, however, the comedy/lightheartedness may turn off many ppl..

Guest W Hong
Was looking to buy When Taekwondo Strikes (sting of the Dragon Master), but I hear the quality of the DVD was bad, also it seems to be out of print and lastly I could not find a copy of The Tournament. Also are these films or any of her other ones on a list to be remastered, are they at the moment remastering all Golden Harvest films? .

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

I remember renting the Rainbow Video/Tai Seng VHS video of "WTKDS". that VHS might have had a slightly bad picture, but it's kind of hard to remember. It was either Cantonese or Mandarin language, but maybe no English subtitles. Was there a HK VCD that you could check? I remember a scene that was kind of hard to watch from WTKDS. It was when that Japanese guy was beaten to death by Angela.

I also remember that other scene where there are about 4 or 5 guys(holding SWORDS) who surround Angela before a fight starts. You can probably guess the results of that fight scene.

"The Tournament" movie sounds like it's interesting. It's sounds interesting especially because I read that "TT" was the movie, or HK movie, which started the "martial arts tournament story". If it didn't "start" that, then I guess that it was one of the first(w/ 'EnterTD", Wang Yu's "MasterOTFG", and others coming later). And about the remastering, I think that this forum and other websites already had news about most of GH's movies being remastered by Fortune Star/Star TV. Joy Sales is the HK DVD co. for the remastered GH movies, IINW.

Guest Monkey King 2000

Bringing it back to Hapkido, although if I could find a good copy of the Tournament I would certainly buy it, what I really liked about Hapkido was the idea of finding yourself in someone else's school and having to fight your way out, in order to survive. This would have happened (maybe not to death) and I am surprised I have not seen more films with this. From memory when Bruce Lee went to the rival school in Fist of fury he was not worried about if he was going to get out alive. I think this desperate fighting added to the films fight scenes.

Guest Meiriona

First, just let me say...

Oh. My. God.

As most everyone here knows, I'm a sucker for kung fu heroines. I'm pretty sure that now I've seen the best of the best when it comes to female fight scenes.

I was in complete awe at how totally *BRUTAL* Angela Mao was in this film - from the death scene with the umbrella to everything else afterward - and there wasn't just one scene with her, but several.

And in each one, she was completely *merciless*.

If anyone wants to suggest anything that even comes close to the level of the scenes in this movie, I will eagerly seek out that/those movie(s).

I still can't believe "Hapkido." Incredible!!

Thank you,

Kate

Guest THESHAWMAN

Yeah, great movie...i love it...Angela really kicks some ass in this one!!........you should see more of Angela's movies,she's the best famale fighter of her time IMO..love her to bits......poor Samo alway's seems to get his ass kicked by Angela.!!! check out The Tournament.....

Guest Meiriona

I've been trying... that's another one I really want to see, but can't seem to find The Tournament anywhere... :(

I also have "When Taekwondo Strikes", because I hear there's some good Angela ass-kicking in that one, too, but haven't watched it yet. I have "Dance of Death" as well, but same story there.

Any non-Angela movies with brutal female fighting scenes like "Hapkido" always make good recommendations, as well. :D

Guest Chen Zhen

yup yup, i love hapkido.....sammo is really good in it as well.

however, personally, im a bigger fan of When Tae Kwan Do Strikes.....i think its a slightly better movie

ur in a treat for dance of death as well.......be warned, a lot of the comedy is extremely lame, but fighting certainly isnt.......definetely the best physical performance of angela to date....she didnt do very many late 70s/early 80s 'shapes' movies, but she really gets to show how flexible and acrobatic she really is....coupled with the fact that jackie choreographed the fights, thats something to look forward to....

Guest stormybman

Check out Lady Whirlwind, an earlier film prior to Hapkido. Angela is the star of this film as well. In some parts it's known as Deep Thrust, however, the fighting is very much all-Angela.

The thing about finding the great female fighters is, finding who the choreographer is. Some know exactly how to showcase the artist to their strengths, others not so much.

Sammo is always great at giving a woman an opportunity to strut their stuff. Check out some of these....

Eastern Condors

Broken Oath

The Himalayan

Millionare's Express

(all choreographed by Sammo Hung)

Women on the Run

So Close

Naked Killer

Yes, Madam

(all choreographed by Corey Yuen Kwai)

Queen Boxer

Naked Weapon (action by Tony Ching Siu Tung)

For Shaws:

My Young Auntie

Come Drink With Me

Golden Swallow

Intimate Confessions Of A Chinese Courtesan

Killer Darts

Vengeful Beauty

... that's just to get you started. ;)

Guest kungfusamurai

I like a good movie where the women can kick butt.

Besides the Angela Mao films and the ones mentioned above with Kara Hui, etc..., there's a lesser known film called Death Dual of Mantis, which featured a female fighter who was awesome.

In the 80s, there was a whole genre of women kicking butt. Seek out films by Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock, Moon Lee, and Yukari Oshima. You won't be disappointed!

There was also a mainland chinese movie featuring tai chi called Secret of Tai Chi. In this film there are a couple of women fighters who really kick butt. Jet Li's Shaolin Temple films also feature female fighters who can hold there own against the male counterparts.

On the Japanese side of things, you should check out the sister street fighter, AKA Sue Shiomi. She is great to watch, even if the movies she's in are Japanese, which means the fight choreography style is different from the HK and Taiwanese style.

Kung fu heroines rock! :)

KFS

Guest The Running Man
however, personally, im a bigger fan of When Tae Kwan Do Strikes.....i think its a slightly better movie

Speaking of WTKDS, is that up for a Joy Sales remaster or non-remaster release?

Guest Chen Zhen
(all choreographed by Corey Yuen Kwai)

actually, Naked Killer was not choreographed by Yuen Kwai.

couldnt tell ya about the joy release running man, but im sure gfanikf or markgway could give u a full answer