A Better Tomorrow 3 (1989) - Underrated?

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I'd always dismissed watching this movie based on the fact that John Woo didn't direct it, and the overall opinion seemed to be that nobody was happy with the way Chow Yun Fat's seminal character of Mark was portrayed in this third installment, a prequel to the previous two.

This week I decided to give it a go, and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! Is it an all out action movie? Not at all, which is probably what many people (and rightly so based on what came before) went into it expecting. In fact 'A Better Tomorrow 3' is best described as a love story, as the main focus is the love triangle that forms between Chow Yun Fat, Tony Leung Ka Fei, & Anita Mui while working in Saigon during the Vietnam war.

Accept it for what it is, & it's a really rewarding watch as hints are given as to how Mark came to be the man that we see him as in the first 'A Better Tomorrow'. Even though it's not an action movie in the typical Woo style, that's not to say it doesn't have action scenes, and there's still plenty to enjoy in the form of watching Anita Mui unleashed with a machine gun, Chow Yun Fat on a motorbike vs. a tank, and Tony Leung Ka Fai unleashes plenty of bullets as well.

The chemistry between Mui & Yun Fat is I think what makes the movie so great, and at no point do they get an easy ride to being together. Everything from corrupt Vietnamese army generals to killer ex-boyfriends get in their way, and director Tsui Hark really pulls you into their turbulent situation while never taking the easy way out, which makes the ending especially powerful.

If anybody has been holding off watching this for the same reasons I was, I'd recommend giving it a go as soon as possible!

pg89S0XFyLY

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my opinion but as a huge fan of the first two, I absolutely LOATHE this film with every ounce of my being. It's easily one of my 10 worst Hong Kong movies ever. Just thinking about it leaves a sour aftertaste.

Of course, not evryone agrees... :wink:

Not a bad one, but the overdoneness of the finale spoilt it for me.

Plus, ABT to me has always been mainly about Ho and Kit - it's not the same without those two.

I was digging through some of my old DVD's and noticed that I still have the longer Taiwan cut of BT3 on DVD that I have never watched. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it and can tell me if the extra footage is worthwhile or not? I think it's around 10 minutes longer.

I recall watching it after having watched A Better Tomorrow 1. I didn't like it much. It wasn't what I was expecting after having seen 1 and hearing about 2. Might have to re-watch it to see if my opinion has changed. Just need to go dig up a VCR. I have it on VHS.

It surely is a good movie with a great cast, solid story (that somehow foreshadows the better BULLET IN THE HEAD) and some good action scenes. The soundtrack is great, so is Anita Muis theme song, but the movie is hurt by the title since it feels completely different than ABT1+2. I have to agree with Keung that it's a better movie than ABT2, unfortunately it's the worse A BETTER TOMORROW.

• Administrator

First time I saw it (on VHS) I hated it. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I assumed it would be better the second time I watched it, without those previous high expectations. So when I saw it for a decent price in Chinatown on DVD years later, I let that thought, plus the "I may as well complete the trilogy" collector's mentality convince me to buy it. :nerd:

But I have never given it that second chance.

Each time I take the first two off the shelf to revisit them, I can almost hear it whimper "What about me?" To this I reply "It's supposed to be A BETTER TOMORROW... not A LOUSY YESTERDAY. I SHUN THEE!" and I leave it there to gather more dust. (Yes, I spoke to this DVD and yes, I will be seeking professional help in the near future.) :biggrin:

I have to agree with Keung that it's a better movie than ABT2
It might be better than the first half of ABTII (coincidentally, the Tsui Hark half) but it's certainly not better than the second half of ABTII, which is the best the trilogy ever got.

I love it. One of my favourites. Great story, great performances, great direction, great score, what's not to love. Shame the same can't be said for the second one. Cough cough Dean Shek cough cough.

This is one of my favorite films with Anita. She was awesome, I loved the gun scenes, they're both great actors and the movie was done well. Except the final scene between Chow, Anita and the ex-boyfriend. Should have shot him dead and then booked it....

Laura

I have seen part 3 only once and can`t comment was it good or not. But I like score, check my post in "music" topic...

As for rest I prefer part 2. Part 1 has zero singular scene which brings me back. In 2 it has rice drama and end shootout..

I admit with pleasure chow was great in part 1. But so he was in full contact, killer, hardboiled, prison on fire and those I like to re-watch, not abt1.

Archived