Bolo Yeung & Bruceploitation question

INCspot

I came across this while reading an interview with Bolo Yeung on Bey Logan's blog:

I ask him about the Bruce Lee look-alikes who abounded after the passing of the real thing. Each had to pass a rite of passage before they could claim to be a true clone of the dragon: wear a yellow tracksuit, spin a nunchaku, fight Bolo Yeung.

Was Yeung just talking about how he appeared in so many Bruceploitation movies, or did he actually spar with the likes of Bruce Li and Bruce Le in order to try them out, see how good they were? Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Yeah...sarcasm is a big part of UK humor, and it never fails at failing to translate to, well, everywhere else...but especially the US it seems.

He made a similar joke about Steve Martin being in one of Bruce Lee's movies, can't remember which Lee movie the commentary was off, and it might have actually been a thread on here where somebody posted if he was being serious or not!

TibetanWhiteCrane

It was the original FOF commentary. He actually had to explain it was a joke in the second FOF comm. cuz people were taking it at face value.... geeeez!

Yeah, sometimes when Bey says something for humor sake, people turn that tidbit into The Gospel. I know he cringes at times for his own sake.

Just checking - I'm not that familiar with Bey's sense of humor (or anything Bey related, for that matter.) It's more research for the "Bruceploitation" novel I've mentioned in a couple of other threads that I'm working on. (I have Bruceploitation in quotes because all of the characters are pastiches, as opposed to using names of real actors. With that in mind, I may include a scene like this anyway.)

Archived