Lady Snowblood - uK Blu Ray

Killer Meteor

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/lady-snowblood.html

Arrow films has been pretty trigger-happy with the DNR on their releases, so it's nice to see they've let up here. What the latter review says about black level is curious; this is how I remember the Japanese DVD looking. Are they both 'off'?

I think it's par the course for Japanese dvds to have rubbish black levels.

I think it's par the course for Japanese dvds to have rubbish black levels.

Come to think of it, a lot of those Fukasaku films looked a little grey. I really wish reviewers would knock it off with the whole "well it's old, so don't be critical" tripe. It's simply nonsense; it's not like people didn't know what they were doing in the 70s. As I understand it, the telecine process and post-processing are the real culprits here; just ask any fan of Giallo how a gimpy old CRT-based scan can tarnish results.

That said, if no one else is giving this a shot anytime soon I think it's time to test the mod-chip!

Come to think of it, a lot of those Fukasaku films looked a little grey. I really wish reviewers would knock it off with the whole "well it's old, so don't be critical" tripe. It's simply nonsense; it's not like people didn't know what they were doing in the 70s. As I understand it, the telecine process and post-processing are the real culprits here; just ask any fan of Giallo how a gimpy old CRT-based scan can tarnish results.

That said, if no one else is giving this a shot anytime soon I think it's time to test the mod-chip!

I have to admit, on the Toho Godzilla dvds...the UK VHS tapes look much superior! They actually have colour in them!

Archived