Jackie Chan - Simitar DVD releases question

INCspot

The Simitar DVD release of Jackie's "Dragon Fist" claims to have a Cantonese language track. Is this accurate, and if it is, is it uncut?

(I don't see this release listed on jackiechandvd.co.uk.)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Simitar DVD release of Jackie's "Dragon Fist" claims to have a Cantonese language track. Is this accurate, and if it is, is it uncut?

(I don't see this release listed on jackiechandvd.co.uk.)

I can't contribute too much to this, but I'm at least 99% certain that it does indeed have Cantonese. I used to have the Simitar DVD of Fearless Hyena, which also had both English and Cantonese tracks, but no subtitles. I believe all of the Simitar DVDs of the Lo Wei JC films were bilingual.

As for uncut? Well, here's one thing I saw on Amazon:

"Here is what I would do. Buy the Columbia/Tristar version. Their version is cut by about 20 minutes from it's original version, but at least it has the original language and the movie in it's original 2:35:1 aspect ratio. That way, you can see the whole fight scenes without anything cut off on the sides of the screen. Then, to get the whole story, buy the Simitar version. Their version is full screen but also UNCUT, and it has good picture quality (even though it has no subtitles and you have to watch it in English). But stay away from this Beverly Wilshire DVD at all costs! "

Obviously a review based on one of the bootleg DVDs, but still, it seems to tout the idea that the Simitar disc is indeed uncut. Thanks to HKL/Fortune Star, the Simitar edition may be the only way to get the UNTAMPERED Cantonese and English tracks.

Quick update, I decided to order a used copy of the Simitar disc from Amazon (not even $4 after shipping), so I'll let you know how it goes!

Quick update, I decided to order a used copy of the Simitar disc from Amazon (not even $4 after shipping), so I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks! I appreciate it.

The EH UK DVD has the uncut English track, but was a major crop job. It DOES have a widescreen Cantonese trailer.

I have the uncut English dub on an old US VHS release, but trying to find a DVD with an uncut *proper* mono Cantonese track is another story :tongue:

As for the HK trailer, I think it's also on the Japanese DVD release, but without the burnt-in subs.

I have the uncut English dub on an old US VHS release, but trying to find a DVD with an uncut *proper* mono Cantonese track is another story :tongue:

As for the HK trailer, I think it's also on the Japanese DVD release, but without the burnt-in subs.

Hmm...isn't Dragon Fist a Mandarin production? It seems to suit Mandarin better...though most of the folks in it are Korean!

I have to ask: is the character Fat So called that in the Chinese versions?

Another thing: Spiritual Kung Fu and Dragon Fist predate production wise the Seasonal films according to Jackie's "autobiography" but I can't help but wonder if Spiritual Kung Fu was Lo Wei's attempt to follow the success of Snake In The Eagle's Shadow.

Hmm...isn't Dragon Fist a Mandarin production? It seems to suit Mandarin better...though most of the folks in it are Korean!

I have to ask: is the character Fat So called that in the Chinese versions?

Another thing: Spiritual Kung Fu and Dragon Fist predate production wise the Seasonal films according to Jackie's "autobiography" but I can't help but wonder if Spiritual Kung Fu was Lo Wei's attempt to follow the success of Snake In The Eagle's Shadow.

After I wrote that, it's when I started to question myself about the language :tongue: As I mentioned in the other message, the language-syncs seem to be a bit all over the place. However, it does seem that Cantonese became the target dubbing language after the success of the Cantonese Seasonal films.

As for whether or not Spiritual Kung Fu was done pre-Seasonal, it's tough to gauge... it does seem odd for Lo Wei to let him try comedy before the Seasonal two-fer.

Also, here's that Cantonese Dragon Fist trailer:

XlbBYyZi5Fs

As for whether or not Spiritual Kung Fu was done pre-Seasonal, it's tough to gauge... it does seem odd for Lo Wei to let him try comedy before the Seasonal two-fer.

I don't recall if it was or it wasn't, but from Jackie's autobiography, Spiritual Kung Fu was filmed after Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, allegedly because Lo Wei saw Half a Loaf and thought that it was unfunny. He wrote Spiritual Kung Fu and remarked to Jackie that it was so funny, he was cracking up while reading the script.

Something along those lines.

I don't recall if it was or it wasn't, but from Jackie's autobiography, Spiritual Kung Fu was filmed after Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, allegedly because Lo Wei saw Half a Loaf and thought that it was unfunny. He wrote Spiritual Kung Fu and remarked to Jackie that it was so funny, he was cracking up while reading the script.

Something along those lines.

So basically, if I read that correctly... Lo Wei wrote a comedy out of spite? Hmm, sounds about right :tongue:

So basically, if I read that correctly... Lo Wei wrote a comedy out of spite? Hmm, sounds about right :tongue:

It would seem that way. Remember, he shelved Half a Loaf until after Jackie became famous. He may have just wanted to put him into a comedy anyway.

It would seem that way. Remember, he shelved Half a Loaf until after Jackie became famous. He may have just wanted to put him into a comedy anyway.

He did shelve Half A Loaf for a LONG time.

I wonder if the original script for Half was fairly normal, and Jackie and Chen Chi-Hwa changed it. I can understand that upsetting Lo. A lot of the humour seems to consist of giving each character a weird tic.

Now Spiritual Kung Fu...that is funny!

There was some German dvds of the JC/Lo Wei films. Non anamorphic but they do have Chinese mono tracks. Was Dragon Fist one of them?

The Simitar DVD has showed up today...

And the verdict is...

*drumroll*

...cut.

F**K! I don't know what that review on Amazon was going about saying "Oh, the Sony version is cut, buy the Simitar one for the full film!". Dumbass. Hell, I would've been better off buying a used copy of the Sony disc, as that at least would've been widescreen. Now I have a version that's not only cut... but fullscreen too! :neutral:

So yeah, any decent quality sources for the uncut English, Cantonese, and Mandarin tracks would be awesome. All I have for the English track is a VHS copy, but didn't I read that the Eastern Heroes version is uncut?

Also, what's the best source for the Cantonese and Mandarin mono tracks? I've seen clips on YouTube that appear to be taken from an Ocean Shores VCD, with Cantonese in the left speaker and Mandarin in the right.

The Simitar DVD has showed up today...

And the verdict is...

*drumroll*

...cut.

F**K! I don't know what that review on Amazon was going about saying "Oh, the Sony version is cut, buy the Simitar one for the full film!". Dumbass. Hell, I would've been better off buying a used copy of the Sony disc, as that at least would've been widescreen. Now I have a version that's not only cut... but fullscreen too! :neutral:

So yeah, any decent quality sources for the uncut English, Cantonese, and Mandarin tracks would be awesome. All I have for the English track is a VHS copy, but didn't I read that the Eastern Heroes version is uncut?

Also, what's the best source for the Cantonese and Mandarin mono tracks? I've seen clips on YouTube that appear to be taken from an Ocean Shores VCD, with Cantonese in the left speaker and Mandarin in the right.

The EH DVD from 2001 is uncut. Cropped to buggery, but uncut.

The EH DVD from 2001 is uncut. Cropped to buggery, but uncut.

Well, it's the audio that matters most in this case, so that's something, at least. Now to find that Ocean Shores VCD, unless someone knows where else to get the uncut Chinese mono tracks? Eh? Eh? :tongue:

I'm not going to lie, as this is one of those "they never get it right" films (cut, wrong dialect, new sound effects over old ones, etc), I'd love to try giving a custom DVD a shot, but I want to do it right.

Well, it's the audio that matters most in this case, so that's something, at least. Now to find that Ocean Shores VCD, unless someone knows where else to get the uncut Chinese mono tracks? Eh? Eh? :tongue:

I'm not going to lie, as this is one of those "they never get it right" films (cut, wrong dialect, new sound effects over old ones, etc), I'd love to try giving a custom DVD a shot, but I want to do it right.

Spannick may know if there was a German dvd with Chinese mono.

Archived