Thunderbolt - Love it or Hate it?

One Armed Boxer

It's definitely also used in Wong Kar-Wai's 'Chungking Express' a few times during the chase scenes with Brigitte Lin & Takeshi Kaneshiro, so perhaps it wasn't Sammo's idea? Maybe someone on here could confirm that though. I have a very hazy memory of it being used in 'Kung-fu Cult Master'....

Yeah, Chris Doyle used the technique in most of WKW's films he worked on I think. Def lots of it going on in Fallen Angles. Struggle to think of any other Sammo films or general kung fu stuff though.. Can't remember Kung Fu Cult Master all that well apart from the Jet Li vs evil Shaolin Monk guy :tongue:

Surprised that people don't really dig this film that much!

I think its a good film, flawed yes, especially the ending but overall very enjoyable. Apparently there is a Japanese edit called Dead Heat, don't know how different it is.

Reel Power Stunts
Yeah, Chris Doyle used the technique in most of WKW's films he worked on I think. Def lots of it going on in Fallen Angles. Struggle to think of any other Sammo films or general kung fu stuff though..!

Sammo definitely used slow shutter in "Mr Nice Guy". He also used it sparingly in "Knock Off" (for which he also used a "strobing" post production effect).

TEOvEa2JzUY

masterofoneinchpunch
It's definitely also used in Wong Kar-Wai's 'Chungking Express' a few times during the chase scenes with Brigitte Lin & Takeshi Kaneshiro, so perhaps it wasn't Sammo's idea? Maybe someone on here could confirm that though. I have a very hazy memory of it being used in 'Kung-fu Cult Master'....

...QUOTE]

[Ashes of Time] The visuals were definitely up to Doyle with final say (of course) by WKW. Of note: WKW wanted a different visual style according to each main character for the fight scenes [Born From The Ashes extra].

The relationship between CD and WKW became more strained as time went on, but at this point I think CD had quite a lot of leeway in how he wanted much of the cinematography to look (they still clashed on ideas) [some of this is talked about with the Tony Rayns commentary on the Criterion release of Chungking Express]

I remember an interview with Sammo (currently cannot find it) where he seemed somewhat perplexed that his choreography was hidden among the cinematography.

Found this while looking through some old magazines. It's an article written in a Jackie Chan My Story supplement to an old Martial Arts Illustrated (possibly impact mag). Thought you guys might find it interesting.

post-633-144191892314_thumb.jpeg

post-633-144191892341_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
I always suspected they were aiming for it to be a big hit in Japan.

Definitely, I read somewhere in the past that the movie was targeted at increasing Chan's then waning popularity in Japan. It probably explains the presence of many Japanese dialogue scenes, and the fact that in the end it's the Japanese that save the day, providing Chan with training and a new car when his own one gets written off.

Found this while looking through some old magazines. It's an article written in a Jackie Chan My Story supplement to an old Martial Arts Illustrated (possibly impact mag). Thought you guys might find it interesting.

Great article! Thanks for posting, lots of interesting facts about the movie....the bad guy spent several months training in martial arts!?:tongue:

Definitely, I read somewhere in the past that the movie was targeted at increasing Chan's then waning popularity in Japan. It probably explains the presence of many Japanese dialogue scenes, and the fact that in the end it's the Japanese that save the day, providing Chan with training and a new car when his own one gets written off.

Great article! Thanks for posting, lots of interesting facts about the movie....the bad guy spent several months training in martial arts!?:tongue:

Thanks for confirming that, I knew there was something going on there. They should've had a Biao cameo, I thought he had a decent Japanese following too.

well I watched this earlier this evening and while I usually agree with a lot of one armed boxers opinions. Thunderbolt wasn't for me. I can't say I really cared about any of the characters, not enough fight scenes and lacking in quality, too much slow motion, and/or under cranked, a lot of the car chase sequences could have been done better (although some were hugely better than a lot of the CGI nonsense we see these days) and overall I could see why I didn't like it the first time round. I think this is one movie that won't get any better over time

I bet it was more exciting on the big screen/cinema. That's where action films should really be judged, I think. If one still doesn't rate it much after seeing it on the cinema in 35mm format, then fair enough. :wink:

I liked it a lot. the only thing that i hated was the reduced frame rate crap during the fight scenes. Sammo seemed to like that effect in the 90s for some reason

When I first found out about it, I figure I hadn't heard about it previously because it was a stinker. Then I found an uncut widescreen version and loved it. The action is on par with his best later period films. Probably his last 'hurrah' period actually.

Secret Executioner

Checked it out and it's not that great. I enjoyed the race scenes though - and the intro was nice (especially the parts with what looks like a Lancer Evolution II).

My son, who is becoming quite the avid fan of cars lately, was introduced to Thunderbolt this past weekend and he likes both Jackie Chan and cars (He's six). He loved the last car race and he did like the Pachinko fight scene, even though because of Chan's injury, was doubled by Chin Kar-Lok. But Kenya Sawada and Ken Lo made for a good villain team IMO.

I heard Thorsten Nickel ("Cougar") is a martial artist himself...wish he could have had at least one fight sequence, but it was never meant to be.

Bit violent for a six-year old, no?

LOL...you're talking to someone whose been watching this stuff since he was 4!!! LOL...he didn't care

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

The New Line version is, refreshingly, the original HK cut.

I think it misses one shot of Michael Wong smirking (of all things), but yes, it's essentially uncut.

• Like 2

I really want to love this movie, but the end race is so zany in a bad way that it makes an otherwise decent movie bad. Still it is better than Rumble in the bronx.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
12 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

I really want to love this movie, but the end race is so zany in a bad way that it makes an otherwise decent movie bad. Still it is better than Rumble in the bronx.

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. Rumble in the Bronx does have better production values. Me? I'd probably rank them about even. But yeah, that ending was goofy. Apparently undercranking doesn't work as well on car races as it does fight choreography.:tongueout

• Like 3