A Chinese Ghost Story (2011)

Guest Markgway

Saw it in the theatre recently and, yes, they went for a somewhat grainy, bluish-greyish faded colour palette here. Found it a bit distracting in the beginning.

Guest Markgway

Thanks. Yeah, you get used to it... but for a while I thought 'damn, this is ugly!'. Why director Wilson Yip chose to do this on a romantic fantasy is beyond me. A gritty drama, perhaps... but not this film.

Iron_Leopard

What did you think of this remake from Wilson Yip?

I've never seen the 1987 original so I dont know how it compares. But I thought this was entertaining enough. 

Was shocked to see Elvis Tsui in this. Had no idea he was gonna be there. 

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

The original was the movie that sparked my interest in Asian movies, and I still love it dearly. There is no way I could be objective about any reboot, as long as it does not feature Leslie Cheung, and Wu Ma. Regarding the 2011 version, I did not find it as bad as I had feared but not charming either. 

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
4 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

The original was the movie that sparked my interest in Asian movies, and I still love it dearly. There is no way I could be objective about any reboot, as long as it does not feature Leslie Cheung, and Wu Ma. Regarding the 2011 version, I did not find it as bad as I had feared but not charming either. 

I finally saw the original from 87. Watching it for the first time in 2021 I wasn't that blown away by it. But I can definitely see how it was so impactful in 87. 

Leslie Cheung on screen charisma is astounding. I know this was also the role that launched Joey Wong to stardom but she wasn't that spectacular. She was fine in the role but anyone could have played it.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

It's sad that Leslie was never sought out to star or even co-star in an English language production. He studied in England where he was said to have excelled in English. I was thinking if Golden Harvest could go out of their way to remake Mr. Vampire in English then Film Workshop could have done the same thing for A Chinese Ghost Story. Instead, Film Workshop decided to produce a different kind of English language movie - The Laser Man (1988).

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard

I saw that Wilson Yip was originally supposed to direct "Painted Skin" in 2008 but that fell through for some reason.

Wonder if that's why he directed this? Another fantasy remake about Demons.

• Like 2