Ashes of Time (Pony Canyon Japanese DVD)

Drunken Cat

Anyone happen to have this disc or know of a posted review for it? Seems to be very rare and is supposedly the best version imagewise of the original theatrical cut (leaps and bounds ahead of the Mei-Ah DVD). If I remember correctly, it was released a year before Redux by Pony Canyon in Japan.

Here is the only info that I have found on the disc otherwise:

R2 Japan - (Pony Canyon)

Extras:

Chinese theatrical trailer (3:36)

Japanese theatrical trailer (2:18)

Subtitles: Japanese

Aspect Ratio:1.85:1

Picture Format: Non-Anamorphic

TV System: NTSC

Soundtrack(s): Cantonese Dolby Digital 2.0 mono

Case type: Keep Case

Please, I ask that you do not hijack this thread to bitch about the Redux cut, as that happens way too often. :sad:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I can't help with the LD, but there is a Japanese dvd of the original version of the film which I would say was probably sourced from the same master as this LD was. People were saying it was the best version of the original cut. There is a custom dvd of it with added english subs.

dvd5 though. Not dvd9.

Thanks for the Info. Not interested in the LD... not sure why you thought I was. Anyway the DVD is what I was talking about. Too bad that the custom with the subs is a DVD5, but you take what you can get. At least it would be a lot better than the Mei-Ah DVD release.

I'm going to keep searching and see if the original disc is a DVD9. Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with concerning the video quality of the Japanese DVD at the very least. I can only hope the image qualilty is as good as rumored. Too bad that the disc is a Non-Anamorphic transfer though.

Oh, yeah. You didn't mention LD at all! :xd: I must have seen "Pony Canyon" and thought "Laserdisc". Didn't know they did dvds these days. :tongue:

I believe the original dvd is dvd5, yes. The customiser didn't shrink it. I'm pretty sure.

It can be downloaded on the Asian DVD Club.

Original Disc is a DVD5, not DVD9. i have it here. i also got the French DVD, which is FAR superior (16x9 enhanced too) but cut. one should combine that French DVD with the remaining parts from the JP DVD.

I found a source file for the Pony Canyon dvd last night. I am very impressed by the vibrancy of the colors when comparing it to the other dvd releases. Until you view it for yourself you really have no idea how washed out the colors are on the other releases.

I also found the custom Japanese disc early this morning. So, now the dvd5 can be fully confirmed. The only custom disc that uses the french dvd also uses the Redux artifical eye dvd release for restoring the footage cut. So, I guess the best possible version has yet to be authored...

I appreciate the info from you both. Thanks Again.

Guest spunkmeyer

Hi Drunken Cat,

Can you tell me where I can find the custom Japanese disc? Or failing that where I can find the Pony Canyon source file?

I'm desperate to get a good copy of Ashes of Time (non-redux version) as this is probably my favourite movie and I only have the Mei-Ah version :(

I've been searching everywhere for a better version. I'm willing to give some kind of monetary compensation for your time and effort!

P.S I've also PM'ed you separately in case you miss this.

Archived